ISU Grand Prix Prize Money--Wow, it's low!!! | Golden Skate

ISU Grand Prix Prize Money--Wow, it's low!!!

tommyk75

Rinkside
I was watching the Johnny Weir reality show (fun stuff!), and I was surprised when he talked about how hard it was to pay all the bills as a skater. As one of the best in the world, I would have figured he would be at least well off, if not downright rich. So I went looking in the internet to see what kind of prize money the skaters are competing for, and wow, I was really surprised.

According to what I found on the IFS Magazine site, here's the prize money breakdown at each Grand Prix event (it's for the 2008-2009 season, but I can't imagine it changed all that much in one season):

1st place: USD $18,000.00
2nd place: USD $13,000.00
3rd place: USD $ 9,000.00
4th place: USD $ 3,000.00
5th place: USD $ 2,000.00

This goes for each discipline (men, ladies, pairs, dance), and the total prize money for each event with all the disciplines is $180,000. Doesn't this strike anyone else is ridiculously low?

I compare it to my other favorite sport, tennis, and the difference is staggering. The top events on the tennis tour routinely offer total prize money of about $1,000,000, which is about the entire prize money total for ALL SIX Grand Prix events. Isn't that absurd (especially when you consider that the winner of the U.S. Open gets more than a million dollars for that event alone)? That's not to mention that top tennis players often get huge guarantees (i.e. money just for showing up) aside from the prize money.

I think it shows how tough it is for skaters, even for top ones like Weir. He estimated that his yearly expenses come out to be about $90,000. Even if he were to win both his assigned Grand Prix events and then do well at the Grand Prix finals and the World Championships, he would barely make a profit, if at all. It proves that skaters are really dependent on big-time sponsorships (which pretty much go only to Olympic medalists) and skating shows which don't really help skating be seen as a real sport.

I wish the skaters would some day try to do what tennis players did decades ago, namely band together, break free from the ISU sham-ateurism deathgrip, and take the matter into their own hands. They need to form a Pro Skating Tour that's open to everyone with a series of meaningful, competitive events in important markets (like the ISU Grand Prix but on a bigger scale with bigger fields). They need to get big-time corporate sponsors (e.g. Diet Pepsi Skating Tour) and amp up the prize money significantly so that everyone, not just the stars, can make a living from their sport. It would also allow skaters to receive attention more consistenly throughout the seasons, not just during the lead-up to the Olympics.

I used to be so frustrated when skaters seemed to almost hate skating and do things like skip the Grand Prix entirely, opt to do cheesy shows that interfered with their training, and talk over and over about how they wanted to go into acting or fashion, but I can understand their position better now. Skaters are the ones that really put in the hard work, and I feel they should be better rewarded for that.

Last edited:
I'm glad you posted this. I get upset too when people criticize skaters for doing shows instead of training. That happened with Johnny at Nationals 2009, when he got sick after going to Korea and underperformed at Nats. People really don't understand the tough choices that skaters have to make for financial reasons. There seem to be exaggerated ideas about how wealthy the better known skaters are as well.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
I think it use to be more but this is such a expensive sport but wow...I never knew it was as bad until the Johnny show.

I guess it depends on "compared to whom?"

In speed skating each of the six Word Cup series events pays a prize of $1500 to the winner at each distance, plus you get $14,000 if you are the overall winner including the World Cup final.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
During spring, summer and fall there are various shows where skaters can participate to earn money. Of course from some of them one earns more money and from some less.... I wonder what skaters get from Disson shows? Anyway, I think that those skaters who are sensible, choose not to do a show which is close to an important competition and is held on the other side of the word....

As with other people, the skaters also have various characters.. My guess is that while travelling some may do a lot of expensive shopping?

Bennett

Record Breaker
I was astonished when I read an article reporting that an estimated amount of support that A-ranked Japanese speed skaters receive from the Japanese Skating Federation is said to be only $2,000 per month. They don't mention support they may receive for other expenses though. So if they attend competitions or hire coaches, it may be possible that they receive something else. The article just don't mention it. Regardless, if you consider that those skaters are in a way "hired" by the JSF, the income is low for top athletes of the nation.
In Japanese:
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20100301-00000254-sph-spo

During spring, summer and fall there are various shows where skaters can participate to earn money. Of course from some of them one earns more money and from some less.... I wonder what skaters get from Disson shows? Anyway, I think that those skaters who are sensible, choose not to do a show which is close to an important competition and is held on the other side of the word....

As with other people, the skaters also have various characters.. My guess is that while travelling some may do a lot of expensive shopping?
Once again, a veiled criticism of Johnny. The way I see it, everything he does in the way of fashion is designed to build his second career which is only a few years away at most.

It's not that I'm positive I'm right. But he's said quite a lot about his financial plight. And personally, I think that when we don't know someone's situation well, it's preferable to err on the side of charity rather than judgmentality.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Don't tell me you weren't aware of it :)

Yes, in my opinion, they gain really low money... And that's not about top-skaters, but think if you are top-20, you have to spend a lot of money and train hard and you don't gain anything.

Spun Silver
I'm glad you posted this. I get upset too when people criticize skaters for doing shows instead of training. That happened with Johnny at Nationals 2009, when he got sick after going to Korea and underperformed at Nats. People really don't understand the tough choices that skaters have to make for financial reasons. There seem to be exaggerated ideas about how wealthy the better known skaters are as well.
The worst thing about it is that according to Johnny he didn't get any significant amount of money, because it was a charity show and he went there to support Yuna Kim. Basically the money issue was brought by Phil Hershy although Johnny never confirmed it (actually Hershy asked Johnny about it and he answered that there wasn't any big money, but Hershy wrote the contrary). Even after a year Phil Hersh is still insisting that Johnny went to Korea for money.

Last edited:
But you can't look at it that narrowly. Building a fan base in Korea is a huge financial move even if you don't get paid for it. I'm not saying Johnny did that show for money. I'm saying that even if he did it for free, it would benefit his future career and in that sense it made financial sense. (Doesn't he have a fashion line in Korea already?) Even if it wasn't wise from the point of view of training for Nationals. :cry:

My impression is that Johnny has done his utmost to build up fan bases in other countries because he hasn't felt he had enough of one in the US. He expressed surprise at how supportive US fans were after these Olympics.

My impression is that Johnny has done his utmost to build up fan bases in other countries because he hasn't felt he had enough of one in the US.

That is an interesting take. I had just the opposite impression. It seems to me that Johnny is just being himself, both on and off the ice, wherever he finds himself. For whatever reason, people in countries like Russia and Japan like him. I never got the feeling that Johnny is trying to build up a post-skating marketting presence in selected countries.

Maybe I am too naive to keep up with the suave and savvy Mr. Weir. :)

Really, and the fashion line just happened? And whoever paid for it didn't care whether he had a presence in Korea or not?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
try something like the Iditarod where the purse doesn't even cover the cost the musher puts into the team just to run the dang thing, much less win. They work all summer long doing tours/kennels/other jobs then train their athletes before the big race... and with financial times being what they are - and the crap they have had to deal with in losing sponsors - the purse is getting smaller and smaller...

seems to me Skating is no different than most sports... it's football/baseball/basketball that - imho - get far too much money. If the team players were having to work as hard to get sponsors as other athletes in other sports were I think they'd be more in line with the rest of them.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Go Johnny, go! :rock: And here I thought he just likes to dress well:

http://www.luxuryobsessed.com/2010/03/heres-johnny-weir.html

"Louis Vuitton scarf, check. Louis Vuitton suitcase, check. Balenciaga bag, check. Fabulous shearling, check. Glamorous shades, check. Two different pairs of amazing boots, perfection."

And this is the guy who was hesitant about David Wilson's prices? and who says that he need to do shows for the money? The luggage alone is over $7,000.

And this is the guy who was hesitant about David Wilson's prices? and who says that he need to do shows for the money? The luggage alone is over $7,000.
:rofl:

Let's face it. Johnny is a spender. I'm sure those costumes he wears too, cost a fortune.

Like Tennis where coaching costs more than tennis attire, both Skating and Tennis leave out many talented kids because their families can not afford the expenses.