Kim to skate at 2011 Worlds: Press release | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Kim to skate at 2011 Worlds: Press release

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Yeah it would be interesting to see if she start to take on ballet as part of her training leading up to March. It would certainly make sense. One of the biggest art movie to come out is Black Swan by Darren Aronofsky, so ballet itself would be a very fashionable subject by March - OSCAR time. I am just glad it is not a Tango. And I have yet to see a satisfying tango at this year's ladies.

I prefer this arrangement of arirang for skating. It has a great finale feel and simply epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBen5RmJL1g

Last edited:

dlgpffps

Final Flight
This thread is railing off track. Yu-na's selections are wonderful. Putting aside its cultural and political undertones, Arirang is a splendid piece of music & coupled with a great skate on Yu-na's part, I bet it will touch many figure fans. Traditional Korean dance, with its delicate & refined arm movements, will make a great match for Yu-na, whose upper body movements are fluid & elegant.

Yu-na's no prima ballerina, but she definitely has the looks to pull off Giselle. I'm also hoping she has chosen Giselle to show just how much she has improved in the balletic moves department. Her spins & spirals have improved a lot over the last four years, and now that her jumps are solid, she has even more time to fine-tune.

I'm also hoping these music choices promise artistic development. Bond Girl brought out the performer in her, but not deep skating coming from the soul. Arirang & Giselle are perfect vehicles for a 2007 Worlds deja vu.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Yeah it would be interesting to see if she start to take on ballet as part of her training leading up to March. It would certainly make sense. One of the biggest art movie to come out is Black Swan by Darren Aronofsky, so ballet itself would be a very fashionable subject by March - OSCAR time. I am just glad it is not a Tango. And I have yet to see a satisfying tango at this year's ladies.

I prefer this arrangement of arirang for skating. It has a great finale feel and simply epic.

Has Yuna really never taken ballet as part of her training?

Johnnnn

On the Ice
Johnnn, I'm uncomfortable with your broad generalizations about nationalities in your posts. Specifically, I remember reading about the Taiwanese taekwondo athlete and to be honest, I truly wish she had been given at least a re-match. I felt terrible for her and her coach--her socks had been inspected and passed by an official. It seemed like a misunderstanding or mistake of some sort, she really was heartbroken.

I realize I'm veering off-topic again, but I wanted to say this in the context...that while sports may always have some kind of political component, the best to me is when it transcends all that. Understanding, fairness, sportsmanship, and respect for all sorts of athletes and fans.

I do want to stay on topic but man..... this will be my last comment on this.
I thought it was very unsportmanlike conduct to show up with illigal sensors in the first place while all of her other teammates were wearing correct sensors. Also if she felt it was wrong decision she could have appealed instead of crying in the middle of the stage. It is also reported that those sensors in question was not in place during the inspection, she just put them back on before the match, but I can't say for sure because I was not the inspector. Regardless, I'm sorry if I was generalizing too much but the conducts that have been shown by SOME Twiwanese people can never be justified in this particular situation and also my personal experiences may have influenced my comments.

I agree with you on your second point though.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

She might have as a kid, but I don't think she did since she took up skating, although I could be wrong. I think it would be a challenge for her, her natural style is more like a dancer.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Not all that excited about "Giselle." I'm in love with the choice of "Arirang." And what a time to do it!

As for debuting a program at worlds, Delobel and Schoenfelder debuted their programs at the Olympics. Didn't work for them. Now, Kim is better than the field in a way that DelSchoes never were, so that's not an entirely fair comparison, but very few programs seem competitively ready at their first competition. And given the changes in rules (the spiral sequence, the 2A rule) it's definitely wiser to compete before hand. My desire to see Kim skate "Ariang" competitively outweighs any misigivings I have about how she's electing to do it. Indeed, the biggest flaw with her only competiting once this season is that I only get to see her compete once. And that's unforgiveable!

cooper

Medalist

:)This version is quiet beautiful too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBen5RmJL1g&feature=related

dlgpffps

Final Flight

There are baby Yu-na clips on Youtube & a documentary on her 06-07 season training. Nope. No ballet. She had to wake up at dawn and drive for hours between two rinks just to get on ice, so I doubt she was able to squeeze in ballet, and my impression of Korea's current skating environment is that ballet and general flexibility are overshadowed by jumps. I've seen clips of her dance to hip hop, act and twirl around, but that's about it. Never saw ballet clips from the Cricket Club either.

Johnnnn

On the Ice
I think Yuna knows her weaknesses better than anyone else and she said she wants to work on the details of her skating. I don't expect sasha cohen lines from her but I'm sure she'll try her best to improve her line ^^

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

Hey but you just posted the same link as the one i provided?!!

I am really looking forward to this one for the fact, I am a huge fan of folk dancing. Every culture have their own version, and it would be something totally unique never seen before to see a Korean skater (one of the best we have) to skate her own program acknowledging her ethnicity and culture with something like Korean folk dancing and one of the most important piece of music in her culture, little seen in the west. You can't get anymore authentic and moving than that.

It is would be like watching S&Z doing Turadot (Beloved Chinese folk song before it turned into Nessun Dorma) or Lu Chen doing the butterfly lovers at the Olympics, except even more poignant because it is Arirang in Tokyo. There are times when a competition program can be something beyond, and for me, her Arirang has great potential to be such a historical piece for Korea if she is able to bring it to justice at WC2011.

Last edited:

cosmos

On the Ice
YuNa learned ballet from a famous Canadian ballerina (Evelyn Hart?) in Toroto. But, not so long, I guess.

Lyanpark

Rinkside
As far as I know, Yuna took a ballet lesson for a while when she started a figure skating. And Yuna also had a connection with Evelyn Hart(who maybe a very famous ballerina) while Yuna trained in Toronto

"Brian thought it would be great to have me help her (Kim) with some of the aesthetic things, get my opinion, because they are more worried about the artistic impression since she is a great technician," Hart said from her home in Toronto, where she has lived for the past couple of years.

Hart will focus on improving the way in which Kim carries her arms, the stretch of her leg, her musical interpretation and expression. She also wouldn't mind being asked for advice regarding the skater's competition makeup and hairstyle.

"It's interesting to see that there are a lot of things about the physics of movement that apply to both skating and ballet. There's a lot of things that can improve a skater's line," Hart offered.

http://mkforum.net/forum/showthread.php?20139-Ballet-Star-added-to-Yu-Na-Kim-s-Toronto-based-team

Anyway, I feel Yuna is more likey a dancer as many of you said eariler. I am really looking forward to seeing Yuna's SP and LP!!!

Last edited:

cosmos

On the Ice
As far as I know, Yuna took a ballet lesson for a while when she started a figure skating. And Yuna also had a connection with Evelyn Hart(who maybe a very famous ballerina) while Yuna trained in Toronto

http://mkforum.net/forum/showthread.php?20139-Ballet-Star-added-to-Yu-Na-Kim-s-Toronto-based-team

However, I feel Yuna is more likey a dancer as many of you said eariler.

YuNa's ballet lesson in her childhood was very brief. Only a few months, I heard. The lesson with Evelyn Hart was longer, I think.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I think Yuna knows her weaknesses better than anyone else and she said she wants to work on the details of her skating. I don't expect sasha cohen lines from her but I'm sure she'll try her best to improve her line ^^

She doesn't need Sasha lines. She needs better turnout - even just a little. Yuna is already sensational but if she could do a layback and an arabeque spiral with a turned out free leg - wow. Just that would add so much. But it's hard, very very hard. Turnout is generally something you have to start working at a pretty young age.

Lyanpark

Rinkside
YuNa's ballet lesson in her childhood was very brief. Only a few months, I heard. The lesson with Evelyn Hart was longer, I think.

Yep, you're right. It was a very brief one. As far as I recall, the thing that I saw Yuna learning a ballet was from Yuna's documentary and it was like a very brief and light lesson which was provided by a local sports center.

Last edited:

brianjyw

Rinkside
Uh...excuse me, where did I mention a parent anywhere? Is Helen Choi Yu-Na Kim's mom? Please stop putting words in my mouth.

Do you honestly believe that Helen Choi is making these decisions without approval from Yuna Kim's mom? Just in case you didn't know, Yuna's mom is CEO of ATS and Helen Choi and Mr. Koo are employees of ATS.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:):)Layfan..you're so right.All yuna really needs is a bit of turnout. Her carriage is just fine, her arms are very graceful..just the turnout of the free leg would complete the picture.

I thought I did notice a bit of improvement in the last year or two, but I've sometimes wondered if working on it at this late stage of development would create other slight problems. I don't mean anything that couldn't be overcome, but she might have had some resistance to really focus on it ( what with all the pressure on her to excel ) , if it caused her to change say, anything in her jump entrances or exits. This year "off " would have been a perfect time, if she was going to do it.

Looking forward to her return.

seniorita

Record Breaker
That is good news, the rest of ladies might wake up a little, it has been a bad season so far! I love Giselle, I m trying to think who has skated this music and I think Arakawa did a thousand years ago and recently Nakano? I think it is something different for Yuna and I m looking forward to it.
As for her not competing this season, if she managed to stay calm during Olys with all the spotlights and crazyness on her and the pressure to win, i think Worlds would be a piece of cake in comparisson.