When Havoc Struck | Golden Skate

When Havoc Struck

silverpond

On the Ice
The ice is a slippery surface, and I'm sure all of us have taken tumbles on the ice (I've taken my share and then some) -- and this "havoc" also includes the world's great skaters. For most of us, our mishaps are private or at least confined to public skating sessions or group or individual lessons. But for the elite skaters, their mishaps are right out there for the world to see. :eek:

Do you remember:
The 1990 World Championships - Midori Ito was the defending World Champion. In her short program, she, apparently, misjudged the distance to the boards as she was setting up for her triple lutz/double toe combination, and she jumped right out of the rink, into the television camera. She landed on her side, sprang up, got back onto the ice, and completed her program. Unfortunately, she sustained serious back, rib, and side injuries, and was practically unable to skate her long program. It was so sad to see such a great jumper miss or scale down virtually all of her triples.

Any more you'd like to include???

gkelly

Record Breaker
The incident with Ito falling out of the rink happened at 1991 Worlds.

She had lost the world title in 1990 because of school figures, so 1991 looked like a great opportunity for her to gain it back because the figures were gone from competition starting that year, but unfortunately she was not able to skate a good long program at Worlds that year. (Even with the mistake on the lutz combo, she was still in contention after the short.)

The injuries or soreness that prevented her from skating well in the long were more likely due to a collision in the SP warmup than to the mistake during the SP itself. But it was definitely a memorable mistake!

mskater93

Record Breaker
How about the practice session for 1992 Olympics where Ito set up the first 3A in her LP and Bonaly backflipped right behind her? This threw off her pysche for the rest of the week on that first 3A...

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Some examples from pairs, where mishaps abound, it seems:

* The warmup of the final pairs group at SLC, when Jamie Sale crashed into Anton and Elena - that one could have ended very badly.
* Last year's Worlds, when Meagan Duhamel broke Eric Radford's nose with her elbow coming down from a twist - and they completed the program anyway, with blood gushing out of his nose! And did quite well, too. Major points for that (if it had been a vampire themed program his look would have been perfect).
* At 2008 Worlds, M/T had to stop mid-program because Trankov's sleeve was cutting off the circulation in one arm, and he couldn't do lifts (IIRC). Some quick costume surgery was performed and they finished the program with no further mishaps.
* And of course, there was last season's 4CC when Mark Ladwig's blade broke and Rudi Swiegers came to the rescue :thumbsup:

In ladies, who can forget the streaker who interrupted Michelle Kwan at Worlds? Was it in 2004?

Finally, turning to ice dance I can't think of a more havoc-filled skating event than the OD at the 2006 Olympics, highlighted, of course, by F-P/M and Bab's death glare. Interestingly, years later she told IN that there were Savarovski crystals all over the ice from previous falls - though she did not blame this for that memorable end to her program.

sillylionlove

Medalist
What about during the Olympics when Zhang and Zhang did their throw and she went right into the boards? Ended up winning the silver medal!!

There was also Jessica Dube getting her faced sliced open by her partner while doing side by side camel spins.

Then there was the time that Totmianiana and Marin were doing a lift and he dropped her right on her face.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Didn't Gregory and Petukhov have a huge spill on a lift that injured her a few years back? Say, 2004? I remember watching it on NBC, but my memory's fuzzy on the details.

seniorita

Record Breaker
When Elena B. was dropped by her previous partner in practice-before Anton- ending her in hospital with severe head injury.

Kozuka and Takahashi crash at GPF practice, and Rippon with Chan in a warmup, I dont remember in which competition.

And I watched Lillehamer OG last year and freaked out with Ingo Steuer and his partner when she fell on her chin in a spiral and they withdrew.

emma

Record Breaker
I don't think I will ever forget what one of my friend's calls "Ito's great leap" into the stands/cameraman. What's weird, now that I read this first post, is that I don't think I have ever seen a replay other than when I first watched that competition. Is there a Youtube video? Regardless, gosh how I loved her.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
blue_idealist, G/P had a major fall in practice during a lift during Skate Canada, 2007

Gotta give the pairs/dance ladies a tonne of praise for their guts. I cannot imagine how Dube or Totmiannina got back on the ice after that, let alone had the best skates they've had. And how Davison or Marinin managed to regain their confidence/trust to DO all those pairs tricks.

jcoates

Medalist
When Elena B. was dropped by her previous partner in practice-before Anton- ending her in hospital with severe head injury.

Kozuka and Takahashi crash at GPF practice, and Rippon with Chan in a warmup, I dont remember in which competition.

And I watched Lillehamer OG last year and freaked out with Ingo Steuer and his partner when she fell on her chin in a spiral and they withdrew.

I believe Elena's injury was actually caused by Shliakov's (sp?) toe pick striking her in the head and piercing her skull.

Rippon and Chan collided in morning warm-up at Skate Canada last year while Adam was practicing steps in one direction and Patrick in the other. Adam landed on his face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F80ouAg4l5Q

Blue Idealist, Melissa and Denis were practicing a lift in warm-up in fall 2007 at Skate Canada. The lift was a one handed rotational and Denis lost his grip sending both crashing to the ice. Very reminiscent of D/L in Torino.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyBRO3XUiXA

I believe Bereshnaya and Shliakov were doing side-by-side camel spins when his blade hit her. Terrifying moment in a relationship that apparently had other unpleasant aspects to it as well.

Oh, that awful fall of Totmianina's! American TV replayed poor Marinin dropping her for the rest of the season. By the time of Worlds, I was afraid to look at the screen whenever this pair's turn came. I'd always schedule the refrigerator break for the intro to their program.

One notable collision during practice was Tanja Szewczenko and Oksana Baiul at the 1994 Olympics. It almost derailed Baiul, but she prevailed and won the whole thing.

Years ago, American pairs skater Katie Wood was dropped by her partner Todd Reynolds from a full lift and severely injured in Odessa in the waning days of the USSR. This incident became widely known not because of the obscure pair's reputation but because of Viktor Petrenko's humane intervention at the hospital, where he translated for her and the doctors and also provided syringes, sheets, and other supplies to protect her from the nonsterile materials, including used needles, available in the filthy hospital. In those days, anyone who could travel outside the USSR would purchase and stockpile sterile supplies for their own use in case of accident or other need. These items can make the difference between life and death, and Petrenko and his coach offered their precious hoard to a virtual stranger. This story bears repeating at every opportunity, because it shows how compassion, initiative, and a practical understanding of a situation can make a difference.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
blue_idealist, G/P had a major fall in practice during a lift during Skate Canada, 2007

yup they were out for the full season. she was able to recover quickly from her injuries, but he crashed into the boards because of the momentum and had a longer recovery. They were planning on making a comeback the following season but her mother got sick and so they basically are now pros doing their own work reaching innercity kids through skating to encourage education. They've won awards and grants with their program. They're a great duo. All things work together for good.

yup they were out for the full season. she was able to recover quickly from her injuries, but he crashed into the boards because of the momentum and had a longer recovery. They were planning on making a comeback the following season but her mother got sick and so they basically are now pros doing their own work reaching innercity kids through skating to encourage education. They've won awards and grants with their program. They're a great duo. All things work together for good.

I didn't know that, Tonichelle. Thanks for the update! I always liked them as a pair on the ice, and now I will admire them as people off the ice as well.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Then there was the time that Jessica Dube's face was cut open by Bryce Davison's skate at worlds. That was shocking, and all the skaters that skated after them were affected.

On the lighter side, there was the time in the LP at Worlds 2002 that Marinin's sleeve got caught on Totmianina's skate and kept stretching & stretching & stretching :eek: It was funny, since no one was injured, and they were able to continue on with the program fairly seamlessly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0ERguItiyI#t=2m32s

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw "havoc" which I think of differently than "disaster".

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
On the lighter side, there was the time in the LP at Worlds 2002 that Marinin's sleeve got caught on Totmianina's skate and kept stretching & stretching & stretching :eek: It was funny, since no one was injured, and they were able to continue on with the program fairly seamlessly.

no pun intended I'm sure. :laugh:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I was right there at SkAm on the second row when Tot/Mar had their fall in front of me. They were just 'off', no other word to explain it, or maybe I'm psychic. I turned to my friend before the fall and said "They are going to hurt themselves". He didn't seem over his blades, subtle things you notice live were visiible, like an uneasiness, lack of confidence, hands weren't gripping naturally. Thankfully she was okay.

Was also there for Dube's face cut. I swear, pairs is the scariest event. So much can go wrong, and what can go wrong can be so devastating. Paul Binnebose is another casualty though it happened in practice.

As for singles, well, that's just kid's play. If Bonaly psyched Ito out by doing a backflip, then Ito is a mental midget. Who cares? Ito broke her leg trying a quad back in the mid 80s. She's tough. A backflip in front of her wouldn't or shouldn't have scared her off the entire competition. But then again the Japanese press was intense and maybe she just collapsed under the pressure.

I never before saw that collision between Rippon and Chan. Rippon looks like he took a very unnatural fall with his head going over. He's lucky he wasn't seriously injured. That was pretty brutal to watch. As I learned whenever I fall to tuck my head DOWN. It's hard to break your neck when your chin is touching your chest. How to fall correctly should be one of the first things taught in skating, IMO.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Weiss and Goebel nearly ran into each other in 2005 Nationals warm up... they missed and then fell...

2006 Ice Dance warm up two teams collided... one of the guys ended up with a broken nose and still skated (can't remember the teams though!)