When to get my daughter private lessons? | Golden Skate

When to get my daughter private lessons?

DSF767

Spectator
First time figure skating dad so I’m still learning and already gotten a lot of great info from this forum so thanks in advance.

So my daughter is 6 (almost 7) she has been skating for a little over a year now and is currently in the alpha to delta group classes.

I talked to her group class coach and was told she is about at the Beta level of those classes test wise and working on a lot of gamma skills.

For classes she is skating once a week for the hour and a half group class and also take her to free skate every weekend as well.

She has expressed interest with her group coach who also runs the skating club here that she really wants to get better so she can join the club and better her skills and start to get into competition when she is ready.

She has been in the alpha to delta classes for the last 5 months and in that time has gotten to where she is at now. My wife and I were talking and were thinking about talking to her coach and get her into a second structured lesson at least once every other week or each week which would be a private lesson as there is only 1 group class per week.

Not having done this before my wife and I also didn’t know if it was to early or not to get her into a private lesson as we don’t want to push her to hard because skating is something she really enjoys and looks forward to so we don’t want to push her to hard and take that enjoyment of skating away, but at the same time like I said above she does want to expand her skill set and does want to skate more so if it would benefit and help her it’s something we would want to do for her.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
First time figure skating dad so I’m still learning and already gotten a lot of great info from this forum so thanks in advance.

So my daughter is 6 (almost 7) she has been skating for a little over a year now and is currently in the alpha to delta group classes.

I talked to her group class coach and was told she is about at the Beta level of those classes test wise and working on a lot of gamma skills.

For classes she is skating once a week for the hour and a half group class and also take her to free skate every weekend as well.

She has expressed interest with her group coach who also runs the skating club here that she really wants to get better so she can join the club and better her skills and start to get into competition when she is ready.

She has been in the alpha to delta classes for the last 5 months and in that time has gotten to where she is at now. My wife and I were talking and were thinking about talking to her coach and get her into a second structured lesson at least once every other week or each week which would be a private lesson as there is only 1 group class per week.

Not having done this before my wife and I also didn’t know if it was to early or not to get her into a private lesson as we don’t want to push her to hard because skating is something she really enjoys and looks forward to so we don’t want to push her to hard and take that enjoyment of skating away, but at the same time like I said above she does want to expand her skill set and does want to skate more so if it would benefit and help her it’s something we would want to do for her.
Hello and welcome!
She's definitely not too young to start private lessons! I started private lessons at age 4, and it led to my competitive career, (and I love the sport today many decades later as I did then!) ;) If she truly loves it (which it sounds like), allowing her to take these private lessons and learn more skills and possibly compete will be great for her, and fulfill her love for this sport. I will tell you to always keep an eye out and talk with her openly as she develops through the levels and stages of this sport to make sure she's still "loving it" as much as she does now. That will let you know when you may have to step in or reduce skate/training time.

Good luck! If you have any more questions I'm here to talk, you may always send me a DM (PM).

DSF767

Spectator
Hello and welcome!
She's definitely not too young to start private lessons! I started private lessons at age 4, and it led to my competitive career, (and I love the sport today many decades later as I did then!) ;) If she truly loves it (which it sounds like), allowing her to take these private lessons and learn more skills and possibly compete will be great for her, and fulfill her love for this sport. I will tell you to always keep an eye out and talk with her openly as she develops through the levels and stages of this sport to make sure she's still "loving it" as much as she does now. That will let you know when you may have to step in or reduce skate/training time.

Good luck! If you have any more questions I'm here to talk, you may always send me a DM (PM).

Thanks for the advice, I talked to the program director at the rink, and we got her signed up for a weekly private lesson. The director suggested we start with a 20 minute a week private lesson for the first month or so to see how she does with the one on one time and then we will be able to adjust and add more time if needed.

We were also able to get her in with the same instructor that currently does her weekly group lesson for some continuity. I think it will be great for her, her current group lesson only has 4 kids in the class, but I think this will help her a lot to be able to focus on what she is working on herself because she is a very completive kid and wants to improve but also is hard on herself because she wants to be able to do it all right away. My wife and I are trying to tell her to just enjoy it and don't be too hard on herself if she needs to practice awhile before she gets a skill down, but the girl has a real drive and wants to be really good.