Mirai Nagasu Interview | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu Interview

Thank you for posting this! I've never seen a full-length interview with Mirai before.

It's interesting to know that Danzarin (her tango SP) was very much her choice. I hated the music the first time I saw it, but she's gradually won me over to it to some extent, and the program itself has improved a bit.

A couple things that stick out are how hard last season was for her, due to injuries (she's very tactful about not making the Worlds team), and how taxing are the daily three hours of driving to work with Frank Carroll. That is a big burden, and a lot of unproductive time, esp. now that she doesn't have homework to do in the car. I wish she could find a way to live in Lake Arrowhead.

As someone said of Murakami in a TEB thread, Mirai is an emotional young woman. I really hope she sticks it out and finds joy in skating and competing, because she's still a mega-talent.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I love that story about Mirai sneaking in the Tango onto the C.D. She is more involved in her artistic choices than I thought or at least she is now. Wow, a three hour drive to work with Frank Carroll. That has got to be difficult. I'm glad to hear her say she enjoys working with him though. I hope she hits her stride and finds her competitive steel by nationals. I also hope she can find her focus and competitive edge without losing her happy-go-luck personality, which, at the best of times, comes out in her skating in a very infectious way. Good luck Mirai!!!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for posting this! I've never seen a full-length interview with Mirai before.

It's interesting to know that Danzarin (her tango SP) was very much her choice. I hated the music the first time I saw it, but she's gradually won me over to it to some extent, and the program itself has improved a bit.

A couple things that stick out are how hard last season was for her, due to injuries (she's very tactful about not making the Worlds team), and how taxing are the daily three hours of driving to work with Frank Carroll. That is a big burden, and a lot of unproductive time, esp. now that she doesn't have homework to do in the car. I wish she could find a way to live in Lake Arrowhead.

As someone said of Murakami in a TEB thread, Mirai is an emotional young woman. I really hope she sticks it out and finds joy in skating and competing, because she's still a mega-talent.

I love that story about Mirai sneaking in the Tango onto the C.D. She is more involved in her artistic choices than I thought or at least she is now. Wow, a three hour drive to work with Frank Carroll. That has got to be difficult. I'm glad to hear her say she enjoys working with him though. I hope she hits her stride and finds her competitive steel by nationals. I also hope she can find her focus and competitive edge without losing her happy-go-luck personality, which, at the best of times, comes out in her skating in a very infectious way. Good luck Mirai!!!

Thanks! :love: Mirai :love:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks for posting this!!! It was very revealing.....anyone have a link to this vid?
“Adam Rippon and I had so much fun learning part of Meryl Davis and Charlie White’s Bollywood original dance which we performed at the last show in Osaka.”
That would be even more fun than watching Ryan B and Tiff V skate pairs together....I am goiing to ask them to do it at the Gala at San Jose....

Binthere

On the Ice
3 hours is a lot of time spent in a seemingly less than productive way. 3 hours in the day of an elite athlete is like gold. Once in a while, I can see it. But regularly? Wow. Not so sure that's in her best interest.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
3 hours is a lot of time spent in a seemingly less than productive way. 3 hours in the day of an elite athlete is like gold. Once in a while, I can see it. But regularly? Wow. Not so sure that's in her best interest.

Perhaps she should consider moving to Palm Springs. She can see her family on the weekends, or they can come see her in the evenings. It might be a good move, since Palm Springs is very quiet. She would have very little distraction. Then again, that would mean Frank would control her every move...

brightphoton

Medalist
Perhaps she should consider moving to Palm Springs. She can see her family on the weekends, or they can come see her in the evenings. It might be a good move, since Palm Springs is very quiet. She would have very little distraction. Then again, that would mean Frank would control her every move...

Eew, no, that sounds like a bad, bad idea. Mirai isn't a big girl yet, not like Alissa Czisny or Ashley Wagner. And it's not just age either. She doesn't have the maturity or competency. Rachael Flatt wasn't ready either, but meh, it's too late for her.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Chinese parents are more prone to move with their talented child to where the chosen coach is, e.g. Patrick Chan, Christina Gao. Wonder if Mirai's and Nam's parents would chose to do the same?

KKonas

Medalist
IIRC Michelle's mom moved into the dorms with her. (not sure ?)
Haven't been to Lake Arrowhead in years, but in Kwan's time, they didn't have "dorms" they had cabins - log cabins. Kwan's folks bought a place up in Lake Arrowhead area and still live there as far as I know.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Eew, no, that sounds like a bad, bad idea. Mirai isn't a big girl yet, not like Alissa Czisny or Ashley Wagner. And it's not just age either. She doesn't have the maturity or competency. Rachael Flatt wasn't ready either, but meh, it's too late for her.

Maybe cutting away the apron strings could help Mirai with the maturity and competency. It's not like she's moving to a rowdy dorm filled with permanently-inebriated undergrads, she's moving to Palm Springs, land of the rather advanced in age. I doubt she can get into much trouble/get distracted too much there.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Although, if she really wanted a taste of independence, she could do what others have suggested and move to Japan to train. Imagine her with Mr. Sato, or Mr. Nagakubo?

Layfan

Record Breaker
How does anyone here know what Mirai is or isn't mature enough to do yet? Anyway it's not just a matter of maturity. Maybe she doesn't feel like living by herself yet (which would be very different to moving into a dorm). I wouldn't blame her. There is more to life than winning a gold medal. Three hours seems like a real trial - Mirai says so herself - but it doesn't seem like there is any easy solution either way.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Isn't it obvious? She's 18! That's too young to live by herself (in most people's opinion).

I left home at 18 to come to the other side of the world to pursue an education, with just $100 in my pocket. I knew nobody in a strange culture and a language I could hardly speak. It was tough and I worked both on campus and outside, including overnight shifts. But I survived and graduated with double majors in 3 years. I believe a well raised 18 year old can strive on her own not far from home and parents under the guidence of caring adults in a structured life with purpose.

eta. Aren't many 18 year old attending college away from home? These days, keeping in touch is so easy and free, which helps a lot for being away physically.

Last edited:
That's extremely impressive! Immigrants so often seem stronger than those born here (speaking from the USA)!

However, for this conversation, the key phrase is in your last sentence, "under the guidance of adults...." I thought some in this thread were suggesting that Mirai go it on her own in a strange town. It would be very unusual for a parent in this country to let an 18-year-old child do that, for good reason - there are too many dangers that they don't yet know how to handle. I imagine young figure skaters have lived especially sheltered lives since they're so busy in their own little world.