My right boot doesn't stiffen my ankle | Golden Skate

My right boot doesn't stiffen my ankle

Bartek

On the Ice
I have a big problem which basically prevent me from skating. I bought new figure skates a few days ago and I used them yesterday for the first time. Left skate is all right, it firmly holds my foot and ankle but the left one makes my lake shake. I can't really gain speed because I would probably break my legs if I did so, I can't really do anything beside very slow skating. I tried a couple of single toes from a standstill and when I landed my foot was shaking. It's strange because left skate is normal. I don't know what is the reason of my problem and how I can deal with it. Last year I used hockey skates and they were perfect for me, firmly holding my ankles. I learned a single axel and double salchow with them but I love figure skating and I wanted to have figure skates. I bought them last season and I have exactly the same problem as I have right now with my brand new figure skates. Maybe something is wrong with my right leg? Please help me, I don't want to buy another skates and even if I decide to do it, my chioce is very limited because I live in Poland and we don't have professional figure skates in shops.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
First piece of advice is if possible find a skate shop that specializes in figure skates. The second option is to ask a coach or experienced skater at your rink as they can actually see your skates and you on the ice and can then better assess what's going wrong. Baring that, what exactly do you mean by your foot shaking? Is it moving around in the boot? If that's the case then your skate is probably too big. Since feet are usually different sizes they can mismatch. To fix that you can try thicker socks and try to tighten the skate. If by shaking you mean you feel like your leg can't support your weight, it's probably just getting used to the figure skates. I know you say the other leg is fine, but you tend to put more stress on the landing leg, which could possible result in this problem. Usually I'd say that it's weak ankles, but if your fine in hockey skates and landing some doubles (very impressive by the way) in the hockey skates that can't be it. Are the skates causing any pain? If that's the issue there are a few options. First figure skates are going to hurt for the first couple weeks or so until you break them in. It's not unusual to not be able to skate an entire session in a new boot, especially if you're not used to breaking boots in. If it's rubbing then you can try to put padding in your boot and if it's a pressure point you probably need to punch the skate out. This just means you expand the inside of the skate where it hurts. If that's not an option, when you have 4 or 5 days between ice time, put a damp sock on and tie the skate up really tight. This softens the leather and helps to break it in. If you do this make sure to open them up wide after and let them dry out. Hope that helps.

Bartek

On the Ice
First of all thank you very much for the time you took to give me those helpful advises. Unfortunately we don't have any shop specializing in figure saktes in our city and our ice rink is open only in winter, thus we don't have any coaches here. Everyone skates just for fun. By "my foot is shaking" I meant that there is a little space between my foot and the boot and this makes my foot moving a bit especially when I do crossovers and also it gives me a feeling of unstableness and discomfort. I'm afraid of gaining a lot of speed because I know it would end badly. I put additional pair of socks as you suggested and tighten the skates very firmly. The left foot was just perfect, and the right one, which used to give me a lot of troubles, improved. It was not perfect but much better. But then I encountered another problem but you said it might be normal. The left skate held my ankle and foot so well and firlmy that after some time I felt as if blood coudn't make its way to it and it really hurt. As a result I had to loosen the laces and then I felt unstable and uncomfortable. So it was either feeling stable but also painful or feeling the foot but feeling unstable. I think I will get used to it though. It was only the third time I skated in them. But still I worry about the right skate. I wonder if I can put something more inside the skate except the additional sock. And since I am not a native english speaker I don't know what it exactly means to break my skates in. Could you explain it to me?

mskater93

Record Breaker
Figure skates aren't immediately ready to just go out and do everything in like hockey skates. You have to work on getting the ankle area to bend a bit (breaking them in). Often, unless you have custom boots, you have to tie your skates a little differently or wear 2 different types of socks to accommodate the difference in your feet.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
One thing to remember when buying skates is that (at least here in the US) you usually buy a smaller size than your street shoe size. For instance, I bought a 7 1/2 boot, but my street shoe size is two sizes larger at 9 1/2. Width can also make a difference- I find that I need a B width in Reidell, not the larger and more common C. Perhaps you can look at a sizing chart online to see if you have the wrong size?

Trying a thicker sock in the boot can only go so far. Most skaters skate with thin socks or tights because that allows a better connection to the blade. Thick socks can make for "squishy" movement.

Skates really need to fit to your foot snugly. They shouldn't be painfully tight, but your foot should not move up and down or side to side when the skate is laced tightly. There should be a tiny bit of room to wiggle your toes, but not a lot. Your toes should not, however, hit up against the end of the boot while skating. If your toes do hit the end of the boot, it could mean that your boot is either too small or so big that your foot slides around. If your toes hit the end of the boot too often, you'll get blood pooled under your toenails (black toenails).

mskater93

Record Breaker
Also, sometimes you need a split width (smaller heel than ball of foot or vice versa). A heel hugger pad can compensate for that a bit...

gsrossano

Final Flight
The problem may also be with the blades or the way they are mounted. If you stand in the boots without moving, your feet should not fall to the inside or outside and should support your ankles without having to be tied super tight. If a blade is mounted too far inside your foot will roll to the outside when you stand. Too far outside and your foot will roll inside. If the blade are not lined up correctly toe to heel when you glide it will shimmy like it has a mind of its own.