I don't think it's a boot problem after all | Golden Skate

I don't think it's a boot problem after all

silverlily1

On the Ice
I don't *think* I need advice here, but I'm just posting for information because I started wondering if it was a boot issue, and now I don't think it is.

I wear thin socks in my boots. I wear a gel sleeve on my right ankle because it's a bit smaller than my left, and that sits over all possible discomfort zones on that side as well. I've been having issues with pain on my left Achilles, sometimes a week or more after skating (which I figured out due to Christmas break). Even when I just went to a public skate and the most I did was spin and do about two single jumps (because public skates are crowded here, especially holiday ones with free skate rentals). Obviously a big problem that needs addressing, right?

Nope. I tried putting a Jackson barefoot bootie on my left foot and can clearly see that when I push my foot into a tight thing (like the barefoot bootie or a skate boot) my sock bunches up at exactly that spot behind my heel. Which means that I either need to change the sock situation or I need to put on the barefoot bootie, fix the sock before my foot goes into the skate, and then put the skate on with the barefoot bootie to hold the sock in place.

A much better solution than the alternative which would stem from a boot problem. Cautious optimism here. Everything else was/is fine, once I trimmed the edges of the tongues (outside the sewn line) so they didn't sit right on tender areas.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't *think* I need advice here, but I'm just posting for information because I started wondering if it was a boot issue, and now I don't think it is.

I wear thin socks in my boots. I wear a gel sleeve on my right ankle because it's a bit smaller than my left, and that sits over all possible discomfort zones on that side as well. I've been having issues with pain on my left Achilles, sometimes a week or more after skating (which I figured out due to Christmas break). Even when I just went to a public skate and the most I did was spin and do about two single jumps (because public skates are crowded here, especially holiday ones with free skate rentals). Obviously a big problem that needs addressing, right?

Nope. I tried putting a Jackson barefoot bootie on my left foot and can clearly see that when I push my foot into a tight thing (like the barefoot bootie or a skate boot) my sock bunches up at exactly that spot behind my heel. Which means that I either need to change the sock situation or I need to put on the barefoot bootie, fix the sock before my foot goes into the skate, and then put the skate on with the barefoot bootie to hold the sock in place.

A much better solution than the alternative which would stem from a boot problem. Cautious optimism here. Everything else was/is fine, once I trimmed the edges of the tongues (outside the sewn line) so they didn't sit right on tender areas.
You might want to look into socks like these that are designed just for figure skating and hopefully that could solve your issue.

silverlily1

On the Ice
You might want to look into socks like these that are designed just for figure skating and hopefully that could solve your issue.
So I've tried a couple of things since then. The barefoot bootie made the skate too tight and took a bit to get used to. Then I tried lace bite jellies with a heel pad but the heel pad didn't sit straight so my foot felt like my heel was being tilted outward, and the bottom edge wanted to roll up.

Then I noticed I had a pair of footie tights for ballet and tried it over top of my socks. I can't use it directly on my skin, but that gave enough slip to relieve the discomfort and convince me I need to wear them on both feet. So slipperier inner footwear WAS the correct solution after all, I just had to find the method of applying that that would work for me.