Javier Fernandez | Page 105 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I'm surprised about Javier's assignments like you guys. I thought he was going to get SC and TdF. I can understand why it didn't happen though, what with Skate Canada and JSF's friendship and the fact that Javier beat Chan in SC2012. There is one thing that occurred to me. I am not sure if coaches are going to be returning to their home rinks after GP events on other continents. So if Brian goes to Europe for COR, he will probably not come back to TO and will instead stick around for TdF. If that's the case, then Javier made a good decision to do these back to back GP events because his coach will also be with him. Does that theory make sense?

Good point! However, Brian coaches also other elite skaters and has to take all that into his schedules. Out of curiosity I looked at the previous years' GP series and Brian's students in them - he was/will be on the road for 4-5 of the 6 competition weekends. He is primary coach for Javi, Yuzu and Elizabeta Tursynbaeva this season plus involved in Alaine Chartrand's and Gabrielle Daleman's coaching. He will have 2 students in 2 competitions (RC and NHK) and 1 in the other two (SC, TdF), but in the latter also Alaine/Gabrielle. Last season (and also previously) Brian was with Javi in all the other competitions except for Japan Open and Spanish nationals (Tracy Wilson was in Japan and Daniel Peinado in Spain). And the example from 2013 TEB where Javi tagged along, shows that other arrangements can be made also.

Dunno, there are so many variables plus too many unknowns to really know what are the reasons for the choices they made ;):biggrin:

Checked also the frequency of back-to-back GP assigments in the past couple of years in singles and as a rule, few do it - last year only Roberta Rodeghiero and her second assigment was added later. 2014-5 one woman by choice and 6 (!) other skaters because of added assigments. In 2013-4 Besseghier and Li Zijun chose back-to-backs, but had to WD from one or both. This season is exceptional as in addition to Javi there are two other men (Besseghier and Dmitriev) and one woman (Karen Chen) who have chosen (?) back-to-back competitions.

E

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice
This season is exceptional as in addition to Javi there are two other men (Besseghier and Dmitriev) and one woman (Karen Chen) who have chosen (?) back-to-back competitions.

E

The good thing though is that they are either doing CoR & TEB or COC & NHK so maybe it is still possible to save some traveling between the events. And if I am not mistaken Besseghier and Dmitriev train in France and Russia, respectively.
Anyway I wish them all good health and good GP events.

Javi did another TV interview in Spain, when it will be aired?
https://twitter.com/bodegalaalegria/status/748833912030388224/photo/1

Awww cleanly shaved Javi :luv17:
I thought it was vacation time for Javi once he got back to Spain... But it's a good thing that he and figure skating are getting more and more recognition:) Hopefully he'll be able to have tons of rest later.

honghe, that was great effort:biggrin: you captured all the adorable moments of Javi at those press conferences:love: what help do you need? Do you need me to upload it to youtube for you?

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, if it's not too much trouble could you please upload it for me? If it's a lot of trouble then just forget it.

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Ooooh, FaOI Nagano online:

Part I: Javi in opening and Rising http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4jima2_faoi-2016-in-nagano-partⅠ_sport

Part II: Around 16 min Javi in short interview and Barcelona http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4jipxb_faoi-2016-in-nagano-partⅡ_sport (Javi bit separately on YuuTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MOJfKwfTT8)

Part III: Around 19 min Malaguena and Finale with the 4Lo! http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4jittg_faoi-2016-in-nagano-partⅢ_sport

Plus whilst cleaning up my bookshelves in preparation to my move, I found the 2013 IFS Magazine with Javi on the cover - did not remember that I'd bought it back then... :laugh:

E

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice
Plus whilst cleaning up my bookshelves in preparation to my move, I found the 2013 IFS Magazine with Javi on the cover - did not remember that I'd bought it back then... :laugh:

E

Was it one of the issues they photographed with here? http://i63.tinypic.com/2dafxad.jpg
That seems such a long time ago!

It looks like something he recorded in that restaurant(by their tweets it seems the owners of the restaurant are family or friends with Javi), they don't say what they are recording or when its going to air so i can't help you.

Thanks for the explanation, Sol!
Speaking of restaurants, I think I read somewhere (maybe here:laugh:) that Javi sometimes craves for Spanish food while living abroad. (Given how delicious Spanish food is I can totally understand him;) )

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Yes, Honghe, it's that one exactly. I had been kind of thinking of ordering it but had postponed doing that and I guess for a reason... Those curly bangs :laugh:

The restaurant is this one: http://bodegalaalegria.es/

And the connection seems to be his friend and manager Jorge Serradilla - at least the restaurant is owned by someone with the same name and the guy in some of the photos on the website looks certainly like the one hanging out with Javi often enough. (According to this item by Hielo Espanol, they've been friends since being little kids - could be relatives also, but cannot be known.
http://www.hieloespanol.es/1/el_fen...se_da_la_mano_con_la_precariedad_1979107.html)

E

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice
Yes, Honghe, it's that one exactly. I had been kind of thinking of ordering it but had postponed doing that and I guess for a reason... Those curly bangles :laugh:

:laugh: Javi still looks cute in that cover, though.
I guess the cover was likely shot during the Chaplin season or the off season. His hair during the Peter Gunn season was shorter.
I wonder how they will style his hair for the new FS this coming season. Will they give him a pompadour or something like that?

You bought this issue with Javi on the cover back when you weren't that impressed with him, if I'm not mistaken? Maybe it was meant to be;)

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
:laugh: Javi still looks cute in that cover, though.
I guess the cover was likely shot during the Chaplin season or the off season. His hair during the Peter Gunn season was shorter.
I wonder how they will style his hair for the new FS this coming season. Will they give him a pompadour or something like that?

You bought this issue with Javi on the cover back when you weren't that impressed with him, if I'm not mistaken? Maybe it was meant to be;)

The mag came out in May 2013 and he talked about the Worlds in 2013. Plus there was a story on an event in Harlem in which he participated in early May, so after the season? And the fact that I did not throw it away was definitely an omen :laugh:

I do not like the very short hair of 2013-4, it's a harsh look; 2014-5 hair was excellent (slightly longer, but not too long), last season's TinTinish was quite ok. Last summer he kind of already had the Elvis hair (eg here: http://www.laregion.es/articulo/dep...-titulos-no-va-ser-facil/20150819214829562769) which I liked a lot :biggrin:

E

evergreen

On the Ice
And the connection seems to be his friend and manager Jorge Serradilla - at least the restaurant is owned by someone with the same name and the guy in some of the photos on the website looks certainly like the one hanging out with Javi often enough. (According to this item by Hielo Espanol, they've been friends since being little kids - could be relatives also, but cannot be known.
http://www.hieloespanol.es/1/el_fen...se_da_la_mano_con_la_precariedad_1979107.html)

I read somewhere Jorge Serradilla was a water ball player? Got to try the restaurant next time when I visit Madrid :biggrin:

evergreen

On the Ice
I do not like the very short hair of 2013-4, it's a harsh look; 2014-5 hair was excellent (slightly longer, but not too long), last season's TinTinish was quite ok. Last summer he kind of already had the Elvis hair (eg here: http://www.laregion.es/articulo/dep...-titulos-no-va-ser-facil/20150819214829562769) which I liked a lot :biggrin:

I don't like Javi's hair in 2013-14 either, it took me a while to get used to his very short hair; his hair in the following season looked fine, except in COR, which was too long, last season's hair style showed his mature side, and I like his hair in last summer very much, is this the popular hair style in 1950s', this reminds me James Dean's hair too;)

honghe

On the Ice
Eppen and evergreen, I have to agree with both of you regarding Javi's hair in the 2013-2014 season. I think "harsh" is probably the right word. It did not seem to go well with the innocent boyishness in Javi's looks back then.
Whatever he does with his hair for the FS this coming season, I wonder whether it will affect his hairstyle for Malaguena to some degree, too. I like his hair this past season but if they are changing the SP costume, I have no idea what they might do with the hair.

BTW, I believe both Elvis and James Dean contributed to the popularity of the pompadour in the 1950s.

evergreen

On the Ice
Pompadour with Elvis and James Dean indeed - although my preference comes probably from Morrissey in the early 80s...

He may get this hairstyle for his Grease program if they will really take it into consideration for 17-18 season, though I doubt whether skating to Grease soundtrack is a good idea.

I just wonder whether he is/has been looking for a male partner for pair skating - Yuzu he would have to lift, but Patrick would probably have to lift Javi ;) :scratch2:

I don't think it was Javi in the photo who was lifting Yuzu, it was the pair skater Francis Boudreau Audet, wearing a polka dot shirt. Javi wore a white shirt that night.

Javi was lifted by Andrey Molla when they toured together for FaOI shows:biggrin:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGQws4ooCXC/?taken-at=241873298

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
He may get this hairstyle for his Grease program if they will really take it into consideration for 17-18 season, though I doubt whether skating to Grease soundtrack is a good idea.

As mentioned somewhere earlier, I would prefer Pulp Fiction if Javi wishes to have a Travolta movie as FS.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Evergreen, you are right - sorry for the misinformation! Did not look at it too carefully, but trusted someone else's recognition. He was also lifted in the group number in SOI Japan previously (2013?, 2014?)...

Grease would be kind of good except for the fact that almost all the good songs are duets between Sandy and Danny and concocting a program with a recognizable theme out of that for a single male skater would not be very easy. Plus it would be repeating the 1950s style from the forthcoming Elvis FS which I would think is not a good idea. Although Guys and Dolls is a 1950s musical, the music was jazz and not rock, so there will be a contrast (supposing that they will go with the 1950s/1960s Elvis - I DO NOT want to see white jumpsuits with sequins and bell-bottoms!!!!!) between the two programs.

E

musicfan80

Medalist
Javier doing a Grease program would be at least help me recover from seeing the one Evan Lysacek had. He only competed it once (Skate America 2005) but it gave me a scar for many years. I still can't believe Frank Carroll started a season thinking this would be a good idea - especially in an Olympic year.

Javier knows how to sell a character or a story properly.

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Oh, that was rather horrible. But poor Evan was not given very much to work on choreography-wise or on character or story. I think the bits of songs they chose also demonstrate the difficulties of that material; these days you could do the same with lyrics, but I re-watched the movie recently and did not remember that Love is a Many-Splendoured Thing was in it at all, the 70s style discoish title song is just plain forgettable, but the cut got a bit better with Greased Lightnin' and Summer Nights at the end.

I've been thinking about the Elvis theme and in a way it fills me with fear and trepidation. I don't think that random songs from one artist (or particularly from a band) create a real theme, no matter how lovely and great the songs are. They are equally random as songs from say 3-4 different artists put together, if there is no other connection between the songs and if they don't somehow create a coherent whole. Michael Jackson - like Elvis - is barely border-line acceptable because both are artists with fairly distinctive (dance/movement) styles which can be used, but I would like to see some other kind of content as well...

Someone posted a video of Javi finishing a practice session at Boston: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWWgRl4LCcE

E