Viktor Petrenko arrested for DUI | Golden Skate

Viktor Petrenko arrested for DUI

berthes ghost

Final Flight
That's too bad. Thank goodness no one was hurt. (Likewise with Oksana and Alexei. )

I thought that they had moved to NY or NJ?

Well, it will be interesting to see the details once they come out, if they come out. IMHO, there a difference between having 2 beers and slipping on snow covered icy roads once, and getting fall down drunk and getting behind the wheel of your car on a regualr basis.

Brandenburg

Rinkside
Hair Splitting

When all the boards were buzzing with discussions of the Yagudin arrest I thought the hair-splitting was ridiculous. Is it ok to have a few and get behind the wheel - NO.

It only takes one time to produce catastrophic results. It doesn't matter if it's the first time you drive drunk or the 20th, if you're sorta drunk or more than 'sorta' - there are no distinctions. It's a real black and white thing -and I'm over people who think there's a gray area. There isn't. If more people think that any level of drinking and driving is completely unacceptable, everyone would be safer.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I know that you are talking generally, but for me personally, I think that you misunderstood my point completely. Never in a million years did I even intimate that it was OK to drink and drive, even if it was only 2 beers. I do think that's it's a bit silly to start hopeing that people "get help" when there is no proof that he is an out of control alcoholic. The only proof is that he made one mistake, and if by "get help" they mean go to counseling to discuss this one mistake and try not to repeat it (there are no guarantees in life), then so be it.

Personally I think that your zero tollerance viewpoint is simplistic. Sober people kill childen with their cars all of the time, it happens. Once someone comits a crime, like driving drunk, I think it's stupid to gloss over the severity of it. Do you really think that shoplifters or people who cheat on their taxes should be punished the same as serial killers and child molesters?

My point: if he made a mistake by endangering peoples lives once: he is wrong. If he repeatedly endangers peoples lives by driving like a maniac while sloshed, well then he is really really really really really wrong. Your point that the two habits are one in the same doesn't make any sense to me, or our law makers as 1st time offenders are usually given a lighter sentence.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Brandenburg, I see your point (though the alcohol one may drink and get behind the wheel varies GREATLY from state to state). However, when people start talking about an individual having "a problem" because of DUI, I think that is jumping to conclusions. Should there be consequences for DUI? Yes, absolutely. Should we assume that someone arrested for DUI "has a problem"? Absolutely not.

Pookie

Final Flight
I don't think that Victor is an alcoholic. There has never, as far as I know, been a whisper of anything negative about Victor or his life. "Getting help" could be his wife asking him to never do that again. There's all kinds of help but one mistake does not make one an alcoholic. I certainly didn't mean to imply that.

brenlynn

On the Ice
:eek: wow. this really comes as a complete shock to me. i really hope he get's help, i am so glad no one was hurt.

Brandenburg

Rinkside
I understand the point. I also won't go into the "I hope he gets help" thing and I didn't - I don't know what kind of help he needs. I do know one thing - he needs help understanding that you don't drink and drive! Do I assume he has a problem with alcohol - not at all. I do think this was, at the very least, a remarkable lapse in judgement.

Berthes Ghost, I don't think my zero-tolerance pov is simplistic at all and because children are tragically killed in sober accidents shouldn't have any effect on driving and driving policy. Should the punishment for a first offender be lighter than for a repeat offender - of course. But I read your original post as somehow saying that if he just had a few beers that would make things somehow ok - perhaps I read it wrong. I don't care if he had two beers - if he was impaired, he shouldn't have driven, period. And I think a no-tolerance policy about that is very reasonable.

Last edited:

nymkfan51

Medalist
Just to clarify ... I have no idea if he is an alcoholic ... wouldn't even hazard a guess. My statement about his getting help maybe was a bit over the top, sorry ... I was just really thinking he should nip this thing in the bud right now, before it becomes a problem. But to add, driving so drunk that you run your car into a pole, is in itself a problem. Thank God noone was hurt badly.

If it is true he deserves to be convicted. If you have ever been hit by a car where the driver in that car was drunk, it won't matter if he is a figure skating star or a basketball star or just plain John Doe.

This may have been a one=time thing meaning he is not an alcoholic but someone who used bad judgement under the influence. His choice was to stay over where he got drunk or have someone drive him home.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Actually, in most states the legal blood alcohol level is 0.08 (with zero tolerance if you're under 21). This Website has a calculator for figuring out blood alcohol level. Suppose Victor is 150 lbs. Even if he'd had 2 beers over only 1 hour, his B.A.C. would be approximately 0.0395, which is well within the legal limit. Interestingly enough, if he'd have 2 beers ove 3 hours, he would even pass the zero-tolerance test, which is 0.02.

OTOH, that really doesn't say much. According to this calculator, I (100lb female) can have 2 beers in one hour, and still be barely within the legal limit. From experience, I know that 2 beers in one hour would not make it a good idea for me to drive.

Gardenkitty

Rinkside
Based on Yagudin's experience, I expect Viktor will be able to take an alcohol awareness program and pay court costs as his sentence. I expect this type of program can be very useful because it will emphasize how easy it is to have your senses impaired by even a few drinks and the potential for serious consequences. Viktor has often demonstrated a sense of community responsibility with his numerous charitable activities and I hope and expect he will use the opportunity to take the program to increase his sensitivity to this important issue.

I'm glad that neither Viktor nor any innocent third party was seriously injured or killed.

Brandenburg

Rinkside
Someone over at FSU posted a link to a local news broadcast that pretty much explains what happened. If you want a report, try it. Snapped a utility pole in half - those heavy Mercedes SUV's can do some damage!

tdnuva

On the Ice
Just a quick question - even though I got the idea that he drank and nevertheless was driving a car - what is DUI???

(stupid european asking)

Brandenburg

Rinkside
Driving Under the Influence (drunk driving). BTW, for refusing to take a breathalyzer test his license is automatically suspended for 6 months so a fine and education will not be all.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I certainly do hate to hear this. Perhaps he'll be a bit more sympathetic to Oksana, now. Everyone makes mistakes. I do have to agree with Berthes Ghost on one point, though. Driving under the influence is a horrible thing to do, but I think child molestation is an entirely different crime and should be dealt with more harshly. Instead, you see drunk drivers and child predators receiving the same types of sentences....it really is pathetic. At any rate, I hope Viktor learns from this experience.

bronxgirl

Medalist
The problem with lenient sentences for drunk drivers is that far too many still keep driving even with a "suspended" drivers license. I've seen too many victims of drunk drivers who had just one conviction on their record. There was no second chance for the victim.