Exhibitions? | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Exhibitions?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No one else spoke. There was a group finale after Patrick, though. The men's, ladies, ice dance, pairs all took turns doing an element. The skaters, at the very end, skated a few laps and waved to the crowd.

Thanks very much, jaylee. Sounds great. :)
Just reading your description brings a tear to my eye ... the quad from one Olympics to the next has ended for these skaters (even though we will see some of them at Worlds).

Another thought re Chan:
He is a great representative of skating as a global sport not only b/c of his language skills, but also because of his ancestry: North American of Asian descent speaking a European language. :bow: :)

jcsamex

Rinkside
Ok, I'm just gonna say it. That little speech and those grups hugs did it for me. I'm in love with Chan, hehehe.

w_darling

On the Ice
^^ ever since seeing how sad he was after the men's event, I've been circling back to ca. 2011 PChan feels, when I thought he was harmlessly dorky and even kind of cute, as opposed to reflexively cringing every time he opens his mouth. I guess that's another positive outcome from these Olympics. :laugh:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I'm actually quite happy right now because I did get to see a pretty steady live stream and for the most part really enjoyed the whole thing :biggrin:
but boy :rolleye: do commentators have to be so annoying? at first they say that they wouldn't talk too much and we could all just enjoy the performances - and then they won't shut up! Do they get paid by the word?
And I agree, the camera work was really bad. Of course, show me the clapping ladies while the guys are on the other side performing. Genius. We would actually have seen more of the choreography if there had been only one flippin' camera.

anyways, my unqualified opinion:
Pang/Tong: that was just beyond awesome and beautiful to watch
Kostner: I loved her SP and FS costumes but, wow, that one was bad. Not a fan of that color and the gemstone arrangement was just all over the place... and why would she want to make it look like she was not wearing any underwear? it was really distracting from her performance
Javier: saw this for the first time today and literally LOLed. You gotta love people who are willing to be the class clown and want to make others laugh.
Adelina: I knew those wing-thingies were a bad idea as soon as she stepped on the ice. I'm just really glad she didn't actually fall, I could already hear the spiteful comments
Yuzuru: just loved it, that's it (though I will admit bias because I simply adore this music)
Trankov: there was not much of a fun factor during the last few performances - until that hair entered the building. fan-tastic.

And the group hug in the end really was very sweet :clap:

caitie

Medalist
I enjoyed the gala! It was nice seeing some new exhibition pieces, and aw Dai and Mao. <33

That all of the gold medalists chose somber music was a little surprising. I was actually disappointed when I heard D/W were skating to classical music, but their performance was gorgeous. (ETA: Oh, apparently they choreographed that piece for a special tribute show next week in Moscow, hmm.) Maxim's hair and sweater made me laugh. Hanyu was fabulous, and poor Adelina.

I liked seeing that some of the skaters who ditched programs (like Carolina and S/S) brought back the music and costumes for their exhibitions so they didn't go totally to waste.

All in all, it was a nice gala. WHAT WILL I DO NOW THAT THE OLYMPICS ARE OVER? Count down to Worlds, I guess!

out4dolo

Rinkside
My DVR for some reason didn't record the gala and instead recorded the biathlon instead even tho I set it up last night to record the damn gala (***)

anyways, so I end having to watch it just now on primetime while they replay it....

and They Showed just Gracie Gold and Yuna Kim...That's it....HILARIOUS!!!

after Yuna Kim's gala....the goto commercial, then come back and switch to another competition. I thought it was funny that they didn't show the ladies Gold medalist's Gala, or Charlie white and Meryl davis's gala. ***?

moviechick

On the Ice
NBC goes back and forth on coverage between sports. Yuna and Gracie skated earlier in the gala so they were shown first.

mintx

On the Ice
Out4dolo, The Gala was not shown on TV today, it was only online so your DVR was not wrong, the guild was wrong. It is available for full replay online.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
You can still find it whole on CBC website. I don't know if it is available everywhere. It's full but it has some advertising that could be annoying. I've just finished watching. Lovely...

out4dolo

Rinkside
Well, Guess I am a sad panda because it is saying "This video is not working or not available in your territory,. Please check again later on"

I am in the US btw....*** CBC...

SGrand

Final Flight
Does anyone know what was going on with Patrick's shirt at the very end of the gala where everyone was skating around the rink? He was with Tessa and Scott and I don't know if a button or two fell off, but he was talking to them about it and wouldn't stop playing with it and looking down at it LOL. Part of me thinks that maybe Scott was playing around and ripped his shirt open because Patrick doesn't seem to be afraid of a deep V haha! Anyway, it was cute.