Eliminate commentary during actual skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Eliminate commentary during actual skating

BlackPack

Medalist
I disagree. The British Eurosport guys are quite knowledgeable with COP, rules, history, etc. If the whole planet made them the official commentators for every country, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Granted, there are times I disagreed with them such as when they declared that Voir's Carmen was the best Carmen ever (I didn't agree) or that Kevin Reynolds was more enjoyable than Denis Ten in 2013 Worlds SP (Reynolds?!?). They do have their favorites and biases, but they aren't grating like the American commentators with the exception of Susie Wynn, Terry Gannon, and at times Tanith who are generally wonderful. MaiKatze mentioned how annoying the German commentators are. The Italians talk too much and everything is beautiful. The Canadians are OK, nowhere as bad as the Americans Sandy, Scott, Johnny, Tara, Peggy (where she is these days), Peter Carruthers. Dick, as harsh as he is at times, is still a very good critic of skating and he almost always focuses on how to improve a skater.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Check out the CBC!

I did once, for JW2012, when I couldn't find videos anywhere else and someone liked me the CBC commentary of Joshua's free skate.

This is how it went:

- Evan!
- Patrick Patrick Patrick Patrick
- Jeff Buttle
- Evan
- Patrick Patrick
- Patrick
- Evan
- Patrick
*Josh finishes*
- Nice performance.

It was really quite appalling. They barely said one word about the skater who was skating and instead rabbitted on about Evan Lysacek, Patrick Chan and for god knows what reason Jeff Buttle. The only time they actually talked about Josh's skating was when he was finished.

After that I swore I wasn't going to watch CBC commentary again and didn't bother looking for Jason's performances because if Josh got the Evan/Patrick/Jeff treatment I didn't want to know what they were going to compare Jason with.

After having watched the men's FS from Saitama on the ISU's stream without commentary...I much prefer it that way.