Adian Pitkeev | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Adian Pitkeev

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Hope he gets plenty of rest over the holidays. I remember he had back pain at the end of last season, too...not sure if this is the same kind of problem, though. He is way too young to have chronic injuries. :no:

Sofia

Lil sweetheart has big ideas
On the Ice
I hope to see his lovely short program again. Maybe he'll keep this for next season

He may decide to leave this season's images behind though, since he'll be a 18-year-old young adult then, externally and internally different from who he is now. But I'm looking forward to a new program by the same choreographer, Mr. Gleikhengauz. This guy has cool ideas and seems to be friends with him. (Still I wouldn't mind if he keeps either program this season. Both are lovely but neither has been skated to its full potential.)

Now there's another thing I'm a bit concerned about: the Russian Cup Final (Feb 16-20, 2016). The Deputy Minister of Sports, Yuri Nagornikh, called on skaters who didn't qualify for Euros to participate in it. And traditionally it serves as the last chance to qualify for Worlds for these athletes. Do you think Adyan may recover in time to give a decent performance there?
(Anybody's answer is welcome. As for me, I totally agree that complete recovery should be the priority, but suspect he may not want to lose this chance.)

Last edited:

paulusfr

On the Ice
Now there's another thing I'm a bit concerned about: the Russian Cup Final (Feb 16-20, 2016). The Deputy Minister of Sports, Yuri Nagornikh, called on skaters who didn't qualify for Euros to participate in it. And traditionally it serves as the last chance to qualify for Worlds for these athletes. Do you think Adyan may recover in time to give a decent performance there?
(A question for everyone here. As for me, I totally agree that complete recovery should be the priority, but suspect he may not want to lose this chance.)

I don't think he'll want to spend a lot of time, recovering from the injury. I'm sure he'll return to work very soon (though I prefer that he completely get rid of this). And I guess there are some chances to see Eteri's boys at the Russian Cup Final, including Adian, because all they need a competitive practice.

Spot

On the Ice
He may decide to leave this season's images behind though, since he'll be a 18-year-old young adult then, externally and internally different from who he is now. But I'm looking forward to a new program by the same choreographer, Mr. Gleikhengauz. This guy has cool ideas and seems to be friends with him. (Still I wouldn't mind if he keeps either program this season. Both are lovely but neither has been skated to its full potential.)

(A question for everyone here. As for me, I totally agree that complete recovery should be the priority, but suspect he may not want to lose this chance.)

That is a good question regarding the Russian Cup Final. I guess it just really depends on the type of injury he has, whether it is something that needs a long period of rest or a short period followed by some adjustments to his training etc... to prevent it from recurring? That's just my casual understanding of back issues though, so maybe it's a lot more complicated than that.

And I agree with you regarding his choreographer Daniil Gleikhengauz. They do seem to be friends and he seemed to be particularly upset when Adian fell during the free, so it would be interesting to see further collaborations between the two of them.

Sofia

On the Ice
Apparently Adian has a new baby brother? Maybe that will help keep his mind off the unfortunate early end of his season.

Adyan looks happy!:hap10:
According to Lina Fedorova on her ask.fm, it is his younger brother. Congratulations to his parents and him! Finally someone to play with him at home:)

BTW, maybe the season hasn't ended for him if the back injury isn't too serious. There's Junior Worlds, which we have forgotten initially. I believe it's possible for him to qualify for a spot through competitions other than Junior Nationals (eg. Russian Cup Final).

Last edited:

exerym

On the Ice
Congratulations to Adian and his family!
By the way, I can't find him on Sharov's new photos from team Eteri training. Is his back OK?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh Adian has a baby brother? To Asian it's a bit weird to have a sibling much older (like 17 years gap). But good side is that having a baby sibling is always so fun!! Congrats! :luv17:

Sofia

On the Ice
By the way, I can't find him on Sharov's new photos from team Eteri training. Is his back OK?

Sharov commented under one of the photos that Adyan didn't attend the training that day due to treatment of his back. According to a Russian message board, Dasha Panenkova, one of his teammates, said on Periscope that he came to trainings recently and he looked fine (I didn't watch her broadcast, so I have no idea what she said exactly or what she actually meant).

Perhaps if the problem were really serious, he (or Eteri) would have told more about the nature of the injury and the intended treatment to the public. It's only my guess, though, and the lack of information has kept me in a bit of anxiety till now. (TBH there was a time when I got a bit mad with his coaching team as I thought they could have handled this ill-timed injury of an underage student with more caution). Just try to look from the brighter side.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd give just about anything to see Adyan follow a certain someone **wink wink** to Sochi and take up training there. Something about those two together just makes sense to me :yes:

I think he most definitely has the potential to be the Russian number 1. He just needs to go clean a few times. That 4t-3t this year was epic buisiness :hap57:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Adian is happy training with Eteri. I don't see any good reason why he would need to move halfway across the country away from his family and friends. He said himself that he considered withdrawing, but he wanted to stay and fight. It's always hard to say how much influence or control the coach should have in such situations (Yuzuru & Han Yan come to mind). A lot of other skaters have tried skating injured...just recently I remember Denis Ten, and Kaetlyn Osmond at SC. It is usually a big mistake and I do hope that he learned from this, and won't do it again. It's surely hard to have built up momentum and want to compete after working so hard for so long, but the long term health is more important.

Last edited:

Sofia

On the Ice
I'd give just about anything to see Adyan follow a certain someone **wink wink** to Sochi and take up training there. Something about those two together just makes sense to me :yes:
It's always hard to say how much influence or control the coach should have in such situations (Yuzuru & Han Yan come to mind). A lot of other skaters have tried skating injured...

Thank you both for sharing your opinion :) Here are my thoughts that have been brewing since the end of Nationals. Sorry if this post is too long, sounds too pessimistic, or mistakes in language would cause any inconvenience to you. I guess I'd feel better if I pour them out all at once.

It's clear to me that Adyan had the idea to fight through injury. His words and his calmness going into the LP after that ominous warmup said it all. His situation was more like Sergei's and Anna's at '15 Worlds than Yuzu's and Han Yan's at '15 COC. I agree that 1) ultimately it was his decision whether to compete and 2) the coaches shouldn't and couldn't have had total control over this matter, but it was still a collective decision. I understand that athletes and coaches have their own mentality which can be hard to understand to outsiders. What irked me a bit was that:
1) For whatever reason to do so, it was strategically a bad move. The crucial competition is still ahead. Unlike Sergei and Anna who could afford to take a risk as they were at "the crucial competition", it was short-sighted to gamble for a Euros spot at the expense of health and all other chances to qualify for WC, EC (although slim already) and possibly WJC. Even if he got a spot for Euros through Nationals, what's the point if his health condition would be even worse?
2) The injury emerged well in advance to Nationals so they had quite some time to respond, unlike the case of emergency with Yuzu and Han Yan.
3) He's still very young, not even an adult, which calls for more care from adult coaches. Physically he definitely has not done growing, so why not put less risk on future health? Mentally he needs maturing, too, and he has limited experience in elite senior competition and life in general. If there's lack of thorough consideration in decision-making, I'd place less blame on him and more on adults around him, compared to the cases with Sergei, Yuzu and Han Yan.
4) After this bump, what people have for him is sympathy, but for Eteri it's criticism and doubts on her ability, especially after she failed to handle the situation with Polina Shelepen and Yulia. The federation would not be happy with her about Adyan's situation, as they probably lost a strong candidate for Worlds while they've been struggling to earn 3 spots. In Russia where the skating politics is alive and well, and administrative forces have much control over what coaches and skaters do, she'd better be careful to protect her team and herself. If a setback can hardly be avoided, try to reduce the loss. If some explanation would be helpful, go make it.

We don't know how hard the coaches tried to change his mind (or if they just held the same position as his). Nor do we know why he has a similar situation to last season where his health would fail him after only half a season. Speaking of this season, his drastic fluctuation of form between SA and COR (mentioned in post-COR interview) and Sergei's mysterious slump puzzles me a lot. In his actual skating, there's amazing progress in all areas but also slight regression in certain details which can hurt his GOE and PCS significantly if overlooked continuously. Not to mention the tension between Yulia and Eteri. Also I heard of other flaws in Eteri's system of coaching from Russian sources, some of which didn't sound very optimistic. In short, I'm left with the impression that this coaching team is certainly promising but still has a lot of lessons to take.
I don't feel like defending Eteri and her assistants, but it's early to write them off. Before I see any concrete evidence, I'd like to give them the benefit of doubt. The best scenario would be coaches growing and maturing ahead of students so that nobody has to part with anybody. Still, it's for Adyan himself to figure out if he's willing to stick with this coaching team while it's still learning major lessons. He was happy with this team at least before Nationals. How he'd feel some time into the future, given the increasingly intense competition domestically and internationally, we're not sure.

Anyway I don't see him leaving Eteri anytime soon, even if things go in the unfortunate way. Considering his personality, family background, financial situation etc., I don't think he has the same level of independence as "that girl" to change the training environment. Well, maybe he will after a year or two. It's cool to see these two hanging around together, while about Urmanov and Sochi I prefer to wait and see. In fact I'm not sure if there's a good alternative for him to rink "Crystal" inside Russia. I find him very ambitious, goal-oriented and clear-sighted, though. I remember his comment on Yulia's coaching change: "If it needs to be done, then it has to be done". I believe he'll act that way if he feels the need and has enough freedom of choice.
FYI, he owns the best 4T3T at Nationals :rock:

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the perspective. I really wasn't calling into question Eteri's abilities as a coach. I know very well what she is capable of. I just have a sentimental attachment to him and somehow I just like him and Yulia training together. From what I can gather the two are like minded souls that are a bit introverted. Maybe I'm subconsciously shipping them but TBH....I just am being silly and want to see my favorite Russian guy and gal in the same group photo's. There is no logic to my madness :laugh:

I do however agree that even though it's Adyan's decision...the coaching staff should own up to any decision their students make. Good or bad.

Last edited:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Relocating elsewhere for training is not easy for Russian skaters, but the stony face of Adian's current coach always turns me off. Thinking about her former students, like Polina Shelepen and Julia, and her beloved pearls right now, something is better left unsaid. To achieve more Adian should have a better choice, but he is a way too reserved guy, so it is not easy for him to make a change first unless he breaks the silence and wins international fame some day in the near future.

Sofia

On the Ice
Thanks for the perspective. I really wasn't calling into question Eteri's abilities as a coach. I know very well what she is capable of. I just have a sentimental attachment to him and somehow I just like him and Yulia training together. From what I can gather the two are like minded souls that are a bit introverted. Maybe I'm subconsciously shipping them but TBH....I just am being silly and want to see my favorite Russian guy and gal in the same group photo's. There is no logic to my madness :laugh:

I do however agree that even though it's Adyan's decision...the coaching staff should own up to any decision their students make. Good or bad.

[SUB]Okay, actually I've been a secret shipper of Yuliadyan :luv17: Even during the epic dynasty of Simadyan[/SUB]
Perhaps I'm too worried again.:laugh: Never mind, it's not like I wish my sad doubts to be true. Feeling a lot better now :)

Last edited:

Sofia

On the Ice
Relocating elsewhere for training is not easy for Russian skaters, but the stony face of Adian's current coach always turns me off. Thinking about her former students, like Polina Shelepen and Julia, and her beloved pearls right now, something is better left unsaid.

Well, does she smell of anything evil to you? :confused2: At worst she wasn't tactful in dealing with certain situations with her students, but she always tried in her own way to help them. Also, some other coaches (Mishin, Carroll, etc.) have constant grim/expressionless faces during competitions. Don't they bother you? It's a pity that you judge her by a selection of her facial expressions in a particular setting, which may have acted as prevention from seeing her true personality.

Speaking of the stony face... it could be a reason why she and Adyan are a good match, though. Thanks :biggrin:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Stony face? Really? Sure, when someone has a bad skate. But you can also find plenty of instances of her beaming and hugging them when they do well, and comforting them when necessary. And for sure, she smiles 100x more than Mishin, Rukavitsyn, Carroll, etc.

Here's the full photoset from just a few days ago when Mikhail Sharov spent the day with her group (it's a pity Adian was not there). How anyone can say that there is some kind of bad vibe in the team or that she is always "stony faced" is an absolute mystery to me. Eteri trains a LOT of skaters. Of course they are not all going to be in the best condition, winning everything, 100% of the time, and of course there can always be some things to criticize. That's also true for Orser, Mishin, Carroll, and every other high-level coach in the world. I know some people want to bad-mouth Eteri now because she fell out with Yulia (not directed at you, Sam-Skwantch ;) just some other comments I've seen), but that has nothing to do with her relationship with any of her other skaters. As for Urmanov, I like and respect him a lot, but he's been a coach just as long as Eteri, and you can see who has had more success thus far. I hope things work out there for Yulia, but if they don't, I'm sure the same people who are blaming Eteri now will do the same to him.

Anyway...back to Adian. I read his Ask.fm & interviews, observed him in person at SA, and never saw anything to give the impression that he dislikes his team; quite the opposite (very different situation to Yulia, who clearly was unhappy for a long time). You never know what will happen down the road, but I hope we can avoid baseless speculation in the meantime.

Last edited:

Mpd

Rinkside
Hi, new posting here, just saw Adian this year and thought he has great potential!
I haven't seen him in the lineup for Europeans. Does anyone know if it's because he is injured or because the Russian Federation isn't sending him?

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Hi, new posting here, just saw Adian this year and thought he has great potential!
I haven't seen him in the lineup for Europeans. Does anyone know if it's because he is injured or because the Russian Federation isn't sending him?
because he was only 9th place at Russian Nationals

Last edited: