Football/Soccer Is The Greatest Game On Earth. | Page 52 | Golden Skate

Football/Soccer Is The Greatest Game On Earth.

LRK

Record Breaker
Is it just me or the goalkeepers are getting much better when they have to go against Brazil? :think:

Actually, the Chilean goalkeeper has been good as far as I've seen him. He was very good against Spain - unfortunately for me, and unfortunately the same could not be said in... er... the other direction...

LRK

Record Breaker
Chile were AMAZING!!! A great team who really deserved to be there.

Imagine if they'd won? I'd be worried that the people in Brazil would riot because they're already unhappy about the whole tournament there, and with Brazil being knocked out there'd be riots in the streets?

Aren't there basically already riots in the streets? I'm guessing there would be a revolution or something...

LRK

Record Breaker
Seeing David Luiz' expression after he shot his penalty made me think... Which skaters would I choose for a penalty shootout? I'd definitely choose Plushenko - methinks Luiz had the Plushy look in his eyes. :) And the next Brazilian - don't recall his name - I'm sure at the moment he prefers if most people don't - I remarked even when he went forward that I didn't like the look on his face.... and then he shot outside. And then I thought who I'd most definitely not choose - and no way would I put Jeremy Abbott in that situation. ;)

Note: Obviously I'm not discussing any football skillz they may or may not have, but I'm talking about nerve. :)

LRK

Record Breaker
Man of the Match: Brazilian Crossbar:laugh:

Hey, surely Julio Caesar - and I don't know why it never dawned on me what his name really is (I mean Julius Caesar - goodness am I slow!) - deserves some credit? He stopped two penalties, after all!

LRK

Record Breaker
No Suarez....:yay:
Diego Forlan .....:slink:

Well, aren't you cheering for Colombia, though??

As for Forlan, well, I always quite liked him... Which I can't say for Suarez even before the recent Biting Incident. Of course, it might be unfortunate from a Uruguayan perspective if Forlan isn't in form, but... since I don't want them to win, and I like him anyway, 'tis no skin off my nose, so to speak...

TMC

Record Breaker
Hey, surely Julio Caesar - and I don't know why it never dawned on me what his name really is (I mean Julius Caesar - goodness am I slow!) - deserves some credit? He stopped two penalties, after all!

Wouldn't have got to the penalties stage without that amazing save by Brazil number 12, Mr B. Crossbar :cool:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Seeing David Luiz' expression after he shot his penalty made me think... Which skaters would I choose for a penalty shootout? I'd definitely choose Plushenko - methinks Luiz had the Plushy look in his eyes. :) And the next Brazilian - don't recall his name - I'm sure at the moment he prefers if most people don't - I remarked even when he went forward that I didn't like the look on his face.... and then he shot outside. And then I thought who I'd most definitely not choose - and no way would I put Jeremy Abbott in that situation. ;)
Note: Obviously I'm not discussing any football skillz they may or may not have, but I'm talking about nerve. :)
Jeremy and PChan should never been put through the penalty.
Plushy and Yuna Kim could do it. :laugh:

LRK

Record Breaker
Wouldn't have got to the penalties stage without that amazing save by Brazil number 12, Mr B. Crossbar :cool:

Oh, yes! (smacks forehead) Silly me! Right you are - the shootout just took it out of me to the extent that I seem to have forgotten almost the entirety of the preceding match... (Well, I have to blame such a memory lapse on something, mustn't I? ;) )

BusyMom

Medalist
Well, aren't you cheering for Colombia, though??

As for Forlan, well, I always quite liked him... Which I can't say for Suarez even before the recent Biting Incident. Of course, it might be unfortunate from a Uruguayan perspective if Forlan isn't in form, but... since I don't want them to win, and I like him anyway, 'tis no skin off my nose, so to speak...
:laugh: Forlan was/is my arch enemy. He never played well except against Liverpool! :bang: I hope he won't replay that tonight.

Alba

Record Breaker

GK can never, ever, stop a good penalty. Great goal keeper's experience counts but to a certain point, like for example they study their opponents and how they usually shoot the penalties.
It's all about who and how shoots the penalty and usually it's about nerves.
In the Ita vs Eng match for example, it was not Buffon who was great but Young and Cole who were *****. :biggrin:

Having said that J.Cesar is a great GK and he saved Brasil today from a secondd Cile's goal during the game. A GK is tested there, not during penalty shootout.

Alba

Record Breaker
Jeremy and PChan should never been put through the penalty.
Plushy and Yuna Kim could do it. :laugh:

Great choices but I would go with Yulia. ;)
In all probability the GK would run, as soon as she gives him her special killer look :laugh: