First role-reversal lift? | Golden Skate

First role-reversal lift?

pollyls

Rinkside
Hi skate fans! Greetings to all of you, this is my first post.
I love Faiella & Scali's studly role-reversal lift, and I've got a question for all ice-dance mavens...what is the first role-reversal lift you remember seeing?
The first one I remember was Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay's in their West Side Story program from 1992.
Was that the first role-reversal lift done in eligible ice-dancing? I feel sure somebody here knows.
Blessings,
Polly

soogar

Record Breaker
I remember the Duschenay's role reversal lift, but it really wasn't shown as well at Annisinna and Pezereit's role reversal lift in the 1998 Oly during their Romeo and Juliet number where he spread his legs and made the lift look really spectacular.

icenut84

Final Flight
Torvill & Dean did a few role-reversal moves before those other teams (although IIRC they just involved Jayne taking Chris's weight for a short time during the movement, not a held lift - which is understandable, since there was a big height difference :) ). Anissina & Peizerat are most famous for those lifts though.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Christopher Dean choreographed the reverse lift for the Duschenays after performing it with Torvill.

Hi, Pollyls, welcome to Golden Skate and thanks for posting an interesting question.

Personally, I never liked this move (by Anassina and Piezerat, that is). To me, it lacks elegance. (Maybe I am intimidated by strong women, LOL.)

Mathman:)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Mathman:

I agree wholeheartedly with you! The other teams mentioned may have done slight versions of the gal lifting the fellow, but they were very subtle. I never liked A&P's lifts (her lifting him). It sort of looked a bit "cartoonish" to me and out of place for ice dance. After all did we ever see Ginger lift Fred on the dance floor? I think not. Just my thoughts on the subject. I suppose some fans out there like it, but not me. Give me the traditional lifts!

pollyls

Rinkside
Thanks for your replies everyone. :)

Specifically re Mathman & Ladskater's replies...role-reversal lifts, IMO, are right there in the middle of the "sport or art?" question. If our favorite sport is indeed a sport, there's definitely a case for role-reversal lifts as an expression of the athleticism of female ice dancers.

If ice dancing is an art (and it's arguably the most artistic of the four disciplines) only, then I have to assert that I can hardly think of anything more elegant than Gwendal Peizerat lifted by his partner, who is standing in for all those of us in the viewing audience who wish they could do the same. :love:

soogar

Record Breaker
I agree pollyls: I thought that lift was amazing and the extension he displayed and her control were incredible. They made that lift their signature move and I'm all for strong women.

Antilles

Medalist
I love A&P's lifts. Especially the one from MITIM. That was amazing. Gwendal does have great extension in that lift used in R&J and Carmina Burana.

I don't know. To me, it seems like the transitions into and out of the role-reversed lift are not very smooth. Also, it doesn't particularly fit in with the rest of the choreography. It just seems like "look what I can do." Just my opinion.

Mathman

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Actually, I think it totally fit with the theme of the music. Of course in my intepretations of when Marina lifts Gwendal in Romeo and Juliet, Carmina Burana, and Liberta might be a bit pretentious, lol.