Lyrics in programs: Yay or Nay? Now the Season is Over | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Lyrics in programs: Yay or Nay? Now the Season is Over

mnm464

On the Ice
I hink for some it's ok. A girl is skating to Bei Mi Bisto schon(Sorry if the spelling was incorrect). It is a cool music, but other songs I don't think work as well.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
I'm also on the fence. So far, lyrics have the effect of highlighting a particularly bad performance in non-dance disciplines. Or a less than effective program/skate. Apart from dance, I do feel as if I'm watching skating while listening to the radio.

Warwick360

Medalist
Jeremy Abott should be banned from using lyrics. After such beautiful programs last year, he comes up with such badly, almost non edited, music for his program. And that's coming from me even though I like Sam Smith, but on ice competition, the music just doesn't translate well, at least not without being edited properly for ice.

But I have been left in daze with some of the amazing ice programs that have surprisingly been the lyrical ones, with Ashley Wagner's Moulin Rouge, Joshua Farris' Give Me Love, and Yuzuru's POTO (love it how he lip synchs along with it mid program). But honestly just for next season, POTO music should be retired, even if for just a year.

Also, just a shout out to Viktoria Helgesson. Hadn't noticed her much before this season, but made me pay attention to a good Kate Bush music which didn't happen to be the almost whiny wuthering heights song.

Last edited:

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Abbott's SP is one of the few lyrics programs I can tolerate this season and he's one of the few that actually know how to interpret a program that incorporates lyrics. I also like Josh Farris' SP.

Please though ban all POTO crap!

Might I also add that while I like the concept of Wagners LP, I hate the music edits!

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
US men have the examples of good and bad for me:

Joshua's SP to Give Me Love = perfect. Well-cut, well-choroegraphed, well-performed.

Max's SP to Footloose = oh dear, Max, who did this cut, a six year old with Audacity? Some of the choreography a little lacking, though often well-performed.

iceberg

On the Ice
US men have the examples of good and bad for me:

Joshua's SP to Give Me Love = perfect. Well-cut, well-choroegraphed, well-performed.

Max's SP to Footloose = oh dear, Max, who did this cut, a six year old with Audacity? Some of the choreography a little lacking, though often well-performed.

Totally. I'm against lyrics in a prgoram but Joshua's gorgeous Give Me Love program is an exception. I agree it is perfect in all ways.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I still really enjoy Ricky Dornbush's LP with lyrics. I like how the lyrics are used only at the end. The lyrics popping later really gives the later half an extra bit of fun energy. And I also like that he did not overdo it with pop song lyrics. They are there but don't dominate the program. I like the something fun at the end style or program.

Alena Leonova is my favorite with lyrics program. It is such a great example of how you can do something different without shoving different down people's throats. I don't feel like she is being different for the sake of different, or trying to prove something, she is just doing something that works for her and she enjoys and is well executed.

Joshua Farris does get honorable mention for his SP. It is truly something special and wonderful. I am hoping to see him nail it at nationals.

meem

On the Ice
I just watched a video of Joshua's SP on youtube and agree...the lyrics don't take over the program at all which is probably why I wasn't bothered by them. Loved the music and his performance was so absorbing. He definitely has "it"...would love to see him at the top of the podium on Sunday!

Totally. I'm against lyrics in a prgoram but Joshua's gorgeous Give Me Love program is an exception. I agree it is perfect in all ways.

BlackPack

Medalist
I found programs with lyrics generally too sappy. It drives me insane. Either they're pop or full of histrionic oversinging.

The only program I liked with lyrics is Denis Ten's Caruso.

Manitou

Medalist
I am indifferent. It all depends.
I prefer ambient non-distractive lyrics than, for example, overwhelming 1st Piano Concerto by Tchaikovsky. It depends on the case. The music must fit in the background, must support the skater and should never compete with the skater. And should never come to the front. Lyrics or non-lyrics...

BlackPack

Medalist
What about Kozuka's LP?

Andrea Bocelli and the greatest Italian singers are fine by me. :)

But I agree with Manitou that no music should overwhelm the skater. I.e. I found Chock and Bates' Les Mis program last season to be miserable. The lyrics and the music were so loud and bombastic it eclipsed their wonderful skating.

I usually love D&W's programs with lyrics. Wonderful singers.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I've found a new worst program.

Oh Max. I'd rather the six-year-old-with-Audacity cut of the Kenny Loggins original than this abomination that you're skating to now.

bwayrose7

On the Ice
I'm with Manitou and BlackPack. The music, no matter if it features lyrics or is purely instrumental, should support the skater's performance and style, not distract from it. I love Joshua's SP and I like Ashley's LP, for instance, but I think if Gracie wanted to use "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again", she would have been better off with a lyric-less version- that's a pretty angsty song to begin with, and not a good fit for a lighter, brighter skater like her. Just my opinion.

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
Andrea Bocelli and the greatest Italian singers are fine by me. :)

But I agree with Manitou that no music should overwhelm the skater. I.e. I found Chock and Bates' Les Mis program last season to be miserable. The lyrics and the music were so loud and bombastic it eclipsed their wonderful skating.
s.

What are Chock & Bates' given names? I want to look this up because I ADORE Les Mis.