Kaetlyn Osmond Still Injured / Injured Again?? | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn Osmond Still Injured / Injured Again??

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I recently heard that Kaetlyn Osmond wasn't going to be in the Wild Rose competition this weekend. Apparently she has just returned to training and was doing jumps up to the triple loop (which she really doesn't have) but no lutzes or flips. She has not been entered in any of the major Canadian summer events.

That is odd, considering that many elite skaters are honing their programs for the fall competitions and are entering summer competitions with both SP and FS in fairly good shape. The first Challenger event is in just 6 weeks, and there will be four Challenger events in the next two months, so there is ample reason to be competition ready by late summer.

Is Kaetlyn injured again, or not recovered from her last season injuries?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From Osmond (with permission to release)

I won't be doing Wild Rose. Early July ... I got a stress fracture. All is good now. I'm back on the ice and training hard and doing triples again. Just wasn't ready to push and bring on the probability of re-injuring myself. I will be going to California for 2 weeks this month to work with Frank and catch up on the training I had missed.

Alba

Record Breaker
I'm sorry to hear that. She is doing the right thing though. No need to push herself and risk a serious injury. Is she training with Caroll? Since when?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My understanding is that it is just for those two weeks.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It is not the first time that Osmond has paid a summer visit to Carroll. She definitely visited him last summer. Maybe the summer before that as well.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I wonder what the thought process is for going to Frank for only two weeks? I can see why a beginner or someone not very skilled would love the idea of a two week skating camp with him, but she's pretty accomplished already.

2A3TMom

Rinkside
I am sure that Frank's eagle eyes will be used to add finesse to Osmond's programs. When skaters are well trained and talented, it doesn't take very long for them to look even better with Frank's inimitable polishing skills.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I am sure that Frank's eagle eyes will be used to add finesse to Osmond's programs. When skaters are well trained and talented, it doesn't take very long for them to look even better with Frank's inimitable polishing skills.

I believe it, because he really helped repackage GG in a matter of months. But two weeks seems awfully short to work the Frank magic. But if it inspires her and gives her a boost mentally, then that might have more long-lasting effect to her skating season. I hope she recovers well. It was a shame she didn't have a great season this past year.

Alex D

Record Breaker
From my understanding to get a "second" opinion is very important for a professional athlete. The problem that you have quite often in sports is that you don't know what you do wrong, as you did it like that all your life and the problem is that over the years your body will adjust and respond to it, quite often leading to an injury or a higher investment on the ice.

It can be a simple move, the way how you put the blade on the ice, how you land or even how you spin - not necessarily something that must be very obvious to the skater ór a regular coach. Therefore someone "new" can come in handy as that person will see things your regular coach or team assistant might not.

Since Kaety had a few nasty injuries maybe she suspects something or she just wants a second opinion on her program.

I hope things will work out for Kaetlyn. :)

noskates

Record Breaker
She's sure kind of young to be sustaining all these injuries. I hope she can get her strength back and move past this.

Amei

Record Breaker
She's sure kind of young to be sustaining all these injuries. I hope she can get her strength back and move past this.

I'm wondering if all of the injuries aren't connected - like maybe she was trying to rush back to the ice because of it being an Olympic year and started compensating because of 1 injury and it resulted in another injury.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Perhaps, a prelude to a permanent move to Frank??????

Would he take Kaetlyn full-time if he's already got Gracie though?

Then again, he trained Evan and Tim at the same time so that doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My understanding is that it is just for those two weeks.

Before the wild speculation gets completely out of control .... note that gsk8's information makes perfect sense based on what Osmond said in Oct 2013 about her previous visits to Carroll:

Until this injury, she said that her summer training had been cruising along fine. She spent a couple of weeks training with Frank Carroll in Southern California, where her longtime coach, Ravi Walia, joined her as well. Osmond said she had worked with Carroll in the past, and her rink does not have much ice time in August, so it was a good fit for her to return for some guidance from the man who led Evan Lysacek to the 2010 Olympic gold medal.
Plus, she added, "I need to get out of my cloud for a while."​

Alba

Record Breaker
Well, for me suffice to know that Cartoll is not her full time coach. I'm happy with that.
I don't want him to turn her in another boring princess, skills or no skills. It's not her style and she is fine just the way she is.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Would he take Kaetlyn full-time if he's already got Gracie though?

Then again, he trained Evan and Tim at the same time so that doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility...

Actually, when Frank was coaching Tim, he took Evan on but told Evan he would mostly be working with Ken Congemi because Tim was his main priority at the time. Just FYI.

Also, Kaetlyn goes for 2 weeks during August the last few years to get Frank's opinion and touch ups on things, and jump coaching.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Actually, when Frank was coaching Tim, he took Evan on but told Evan he would mostly be working with Ken Congemi because Tim was his main priority at the time. Just FYI.

Also, Kaetlyn goes for 2 weeks during August the last few years to get Frank's opinion and touch ups on things, and jump coaching.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Does Polina get guidance from him sometimes too?

Selene

On the Ice
Kaetlyn is so young to be sustaining all of these injuries. I wonder if it's turning into a chronic issue. I really hope not, because she is a great mix of a wonderful performer and an explosive jumper. If she could improve her jump consistency, she could be a real contender at the World level.