Fernandez VS Hanyu | Golden Skate

Fernandez VS Hanyu

Interspectator

Record Breaker
:biggrin::biggrin:
Here is my opinion on this match.
The ONLY thing Fernandez has holding him back is Fernandez. He has stamina and engaging performance ability and really great jumps.
If he could just NOT POP his jumps he could be right up there with Hanyu splitting the major titles between them.
I think Hanyu has a very intense competitiveness that Fernandez lacks.
-But what do you think?
There are no right or wrong answers.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Fernandez needs to change that final 3S into a 3F or 3Z or anything really (a second 3A would be ideal, but 3 quads and 2 axels is pretty crazy intense). He's leaving points on the table and is setting himself up for Zayaking (as what unfortunately happened to him in Sochi).

Fernandez has a very ambitious layout, which is extremely difficult to execute, so it's hard to expect clean skates from him. But yes, it's ironic that he can reel off 3 quads and then pop a 3L or double a flip. :bang:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think Javi has it all except some luck
- The looks, who could deny? :love:
- The jumps, Yuzuru said Javi had 5 quad jumps already.
- Consistency in both 4T and 4S which he uses in competition.
- The stamina and power.

So yes, he needs more luck and more competitive spirit. :) I hope he all the best.

And last but not least: He need to do the math more efficiently. :disapp: That zayzak rule is...

Wo|flax

Final Flight
Hopefully we can see that competitive fire at GPF
Fernandez is so frustrating because there's no reason with his quad abilities he couldn't win more; He is so close just a Flip instead of a Sal, less popping, some fire, and he's there.
Before worlds I've never felt the feeling of being frustrated when my favorite skater didn't get beaten. (I love Javi too though)
This season he's got 2 quads in the SP too, so hopefully that'll help, and he can be the first to have a clean 5 quads over both segments
I think Yuzuru is better at spins though

It's hard to nitpick between the two because their styles sort of compliment each other nicely, if you tally the relative strengths and weaknesses, you might come out at a draw (which is good for training mates)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yes, it's very sad for Javi because he is so talented, at his peak and is capable of powerful programs. I hope he can get it together, too. :love:

And I love his new SP costume, sleeveless. :eek::

Interspectator

Record Breaker
These discussions always get more lively (heated) when the skaters have opposing fans. However, in the case of Javi and Hanyu their relationship is too friendly to give rise to much drama. Also, its so easy to be a fan of both of them at the same time.
I want them both to improve by leaps and bounds this season and rule the male skating world together as King and ...King. -At least till 2018

jace93

On the Ice
These discussions always get more lively (heated) when the skaters have opposing fans. However, in the case of Javi and Hanyu their relationship is too friendly to give rise to much drama. Also, its so easy to be a fan of both of them at the same time.
I want them both to improve by leaps and bounds this season and rule the male skating world together as King and ...King. -At least till 2018

I agree.

right now I think the only true difference between Fernandez and Hanyu is the latter competitive spirit. If not for that I think they would be more or less on par in every competition

Meoima

Match Penalty
If Yuzuru looks a little bit sloppy on ice because of his postures, then Javi also looks labour on ice. So it's kinda equal here.
Yuzuru has better 3A and 4T, but Javi has better 4S. Both of them try to make use of their strength to the utmost.
Yuzuru has better spins and speed on ice, but Javi has better stamina.
Both have chosen some terrible costumes in the past. :rofl:

So it's true the biggest different is competitive spirit, or I would say the one wins is the one who does better at math. Because...that zayak rule...

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Can I throw in some Jason Brown for the next quad triumvirate? Yes yes, he doesn't have the big jumps, but that's all good for a better balance with the 2 quad maniacs :p
And he's got it all: he's adorable, he got glitter on his costumes, he and Yuzu love each other and he could join Javi's aerobic class with his moves. Maybe he could get a smurf to Yuzu's Pooh and Javi's Mickey, or something.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Can I throw in some Jason Brown for the next quad triumvirate? Yes yes, he doesn't have the big jumps, but that's all good for a better balance with the 2 quad maniacs :p
And he's got it all: he's adorable, he got glitter on his costumes, he and Yuzu love each other and he could join Javi's aerobic class with his moves. Maybe he could get a smurf to Yuzu's Pooh and Javi's Mickey, or something.
Ah, that's would be another story for us to talk about.:popcorn:

So...when will the royal wedding happen, then? I've heard same-sex marriage is permited in many states of US already. :biggrin: But according to Japan Law, Yuzuru is still underage so...

I second this idea wholeheartedly. :laugh:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Ah, that's would be another story for us to talk about.:popcorn:

So...when will the royal wedding happen, then? I've heard same-sex marriage is permited in many states of US already. :biggrin: But according to Japan Law, Yuzuru is still underage so...

I second this idea wholeheartedly. :laugh:

You know how I meant that! :p
Still loving Heltra91 for GIFing that scene from TEB!

But the wedding would have tons of swag, no doubt. Hopefully Javi wouldn't feel left out ;)

Meoima

Match Penalty
You know how I meant that! :p
Still loving Heltra91 for GIFing that scene from TEB!
But the wedding would have tons of swag, no doubt. Hopefully Javi wouldn't feel left out ;)
I know what you meant, lol.
For sure if that happened, Orser, David Wilson and Johnny Weir would just cry like no tomorrow in the wedding. It's like marrying out your daughter. :rofl:
And Javi would just perform aerobic ex as a gift for them. :rofl:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I know what you meant, lol.
For sure if that happened, Orser, David Wilson and Johnny Weir would just cry like no tomorrow in the wedding. It's like marrying out your daughter. :rofl:
And Javi would just perform aerobic ex as a gift for them. :rofl:

And Johnny would design the clothes! :biggrin:

So Javi could wear his best man suit over his hero costume? :laugh: Maybe then Yuzu would finally manage to be the one with the bucket? About time!

Meoima

Match Penalty
And Johnny would design the clothes! :biggrin:

So Javi could wear his best man suit over his hero costume? :laugh: Maybe then Yuzu would finally manage to be the one with the bucket? About time!
Or Yuzuru could just wear his Juliet 2.0 costume, that bob skirt pretty much looks like a wedding gown already. :rofl:
=)))))))))))) Oh my God this thread is full of pink color I am dying of laughter right now.

Meoima

Match Penalty
OMG... We veer suddenly into weddings.
-I hope at least it takes place on ice.
Of course, and ISU could sell tickets for this event. I am sure all the tickets will be bought in minutes.
Speedy can sit on the first row, as an honorable guest. :popcorn:

unico

Final Flight
For me, both Fernandez and Hanyu have almost been pigeonholed into somewhat narrow ranges of styles, particularly for their LPs. I would love for Fernandez (with his current skating and performance ability) to skate to something dramatic or solemn and not the light-hearted/funny shtick he's had for the past while. Conversely, I would love to see Hanyu do an upbeat/fun routine. It's not that these styles don't work with them, I'm just selfish and wanna see more. :p

How far will they be able to push themselves in both technical skills and artistic capacity? We'll have these next few years to find out (even though I'm a bit gutted that Hanyu is so certain he wants to retire after Pyeongchang, so both of them will be gone in 4 years time).