The quad twist | Golden Skate

The quad twist

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Marina Cherkasova and Sergei Shakrai (USSR) performed the first ever quadruple twist at the 1978 European Championships. They are the 1979 European champions, 1980 Olympic silver medalistst, and 1980 World champions.

Marina Cherkasova.jpg

Other notables:

1987 - Ekaterina Gordeeva and Sergei Grinkov (USSR) perform a quadruple twist at the World Championships.
2000 - Dan Zhang and Hao Zhang (CHN) perform the first quadruple twist in a Junior competition at the Junior World Championships.
2011 - Sui Wenjing and Han Cong (CHN) successfully perform a quadruple twist at JGP Innsbruck, Austria.

This thread has been revived for historical purposes.

Feel free to discuss others to add to the list!

Last edited:

Stephina

Spectator
G & G did the Quad twist for a while but decided the judges were not giving it enough credit for its difficulty and risk so took it out. I think around 1989? ? Also Bras & Eis (CAN) could do it laterally but only when Isabel's ribs were not injured. I think they are often under rated for the difficulty of there highlight moves. The in between skating so/so lifts, throws, twists--- AMAZING.

Meoima

Match Penalty
G & G did the Quad twist for a while but decided the judges were not giving it enough credit for its difficulty and risk so took it out. I think around 1989? ? Also Bras & Eis (CAN) could do it laterally but only when Isabel's ribs were not injured. I think they are often under rated for the difficulty of there highlight moves. The in between skating so/so lifts, throws, twists--- AMAZING.
It was in 1987.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Current couples performing the quad twist:
- Wenjing Sui/Cong Han
- Peng Zheng/Hao Zhang
- Julia Antipova/Nodari Maisuradze

They all managede to execute one (level 2) at Worlds '14, and they all have succesfully performed the move several times.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I think they stop attempting it because Wenjing suffered because of a serious injury (epiphysitis I think).

yeah, i know. isn't that an illness? anyways, they've actually had pretty good attempts at the 4Th. their quad twist is pretty good though, especially considering their small height difference compared to the other pairs that do a 4tw. i think they got a level 3 once? correct me if i'm wrong.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
Epiphysitis? I think it is an inflammation of epiphysis (let's say, the end of a bone).
Yes, they got level 3 at least at SC 2013.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I recall that also Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierim (US) have this already performed (last World Championship in LP and maybe earlier too)

LRK

Record Breaker
I suddenly wondered... What about Tarasova/Morozov? Any word on whether they intend to work on a quad twist? And I'm also curious, what would be the opinions of those more knowledgeable than I (that would be basically everybody here, I don't doubt;)) - would it be a good idea for them to go for it? Thoughts?

TMC

Record Breaker
I recall that also Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierim (US) have this already performed (last World Championship in LP and maybe earlier too)

Yes, they've performed beautiful quad twists at Nationals, Worlds and WTT this year. Surprised nobody mentioned them earlier! I'm especially impressed by their quad because the twist seemed to be a problem element for them for some time; Chris said himself that at one point he wasn't sure if they'd get a triple, let alone a quad!

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Yes, they've performed beautiful quad twists at Nationals, Worlds and WTT this year. Surprised nobody mentioned them earlier! I'm especially impressed by their quad because the twist seemed to be a problem element for them for some time; Chris said himself that at one point he wasn't sure if they'd get a triple, let alone a quad!
are you sure this is true? All the interviews I heard before nationals (where they attempted at the first time) was that they felt confident about their twist and turning it into a quad. Even in 2013 at worlds and nationals the commentators would comment on how ridiculously high their triple twist was, and it was definitely an element they were known for (certainly better than their throws and side by sides). Everyone called for them to try a quad but they brushed it off until after the GP season. If you read the testimonials I even recall them saying "it was always strong for us, so we decided to try quad"

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

That might have been more of a clicking thing than a physical thing.

Alexa has said she would rather be able to do the quad twist in the SP as well as she feels it would be easier on her to not have to pull in differently for the triple and the quad.

Also their coach did say they started working on it last April (2014) and basically said they could do it but it was a fearful element specifically for her (Alexa).

So it could have been more of a comfort clicking issue they needed to work through.