Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The quad twist

0 Not allowed!

The quad twist

Marina Cherkasova and Sergei Shakrai (RUS) performed the first ever (ratified) quadruple twist at the 1978 European Championships. Which pairs have done the move successfully and/or do you think will be the next to land it?

Match Penalty

0 Not allowed!
    That new Russian pair, didnt they do a quad twist in Saitama?

Spectator

0 Not allowed!
    G & G did the Quad twist for a while but decided the judges were not giving it enough credit for its difficulty and risk so took it out. I think around 1989? ? Also Bras & Eis (CAN) could do it laterally but only when Isabel's ribs were not injured. I think they are often under rated for the difficulty of there highlight moves. The in between skating so/so lifts, throws, twists--- AMAZING.

Match Penalty

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephina View Post
    G & G did the Quad twist for a while but decided the judges were not giving it enough credit for its difficulty and risk so took it out. I think around 1989? ? Also Bras & Eis (CAN) could do it laterally but only when Isabel's ribs were not injured. I think they are often under rated for the difficulty of there highlight moves. The in between skating so/so lifts, throws, twists--- AMAZING.
    It was in 1987.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Sui Wenjing and Han Cong of China preformed a quad twist at a JGP event in 2011.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skategmt View Post
    Sui Wenjing and Han Cong of China preformed a quad twist at a JGP event in 2011.
    Well, they've performed quad twists regularly. They just don't attempt the throw anymore.

0 Not allowed!
    Current couples performing the quad twist:
    - Wenjing Sui/Cong Han
    - Peng Zheng/Hao Zhang
    - Julia Antipova/Nodari Maisuradze

They all managede to execute one (level 2) at Worlds '14, and they all have succesfully performed the move several times.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Did Yuko & Sasha attempt this, or was it just a quad throw?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Did Yuko & Sasha attempt this, or was it just a quad throw?
    I don't think they would do a quad twist - their triple had enough issues as well

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    They just don't attempt the throw anymore.
    I think they stop attempting it because Wenjing suffered because of a serious injury (epiphysitis I think).

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLotte29 View Post
    I think they stop attempting it because Wenjing suffered because of a serious injury (epiphysitis I think).
    yeah, i know. isn't that an illness? anyways, they've actually had pretty good attempts at the 4Th. their quad twist is pretty good though, especially considering their small height difference compared to the other pairs that do a 4tw. i think they got a level 3 once? correct me if i'm wrong.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Epiphysitis? I think it is an inflammation of epiphysis (let's say, the end of a bone).
    Yes, they got level 3 at least at SC 2013.

0 Not allowed!
    Any teams working on this for the upcoming season?

Match Penalty

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    Any teams working on this for the upcoming season?
    V/T were doing quad twist before Max's surgery but as of now they're not doing it.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    I think i remember Obertas\Slavnov going for it at some SA back in the day

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    I recall that also Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierim (US) have this already performed (last World Championship in LP and maybe earlier too)

0 Not allowed!
    I suddenly wondered... What about Tarasova/Morozov? Any word on whether they intend to work on a quad twist? And I'm also curious, what would be the opinions of those more knowledgeable than I (that would be basically everybody here, I don't doubt) - would it be a good idea for them to go for it? Thoughts?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNameFace View Post
    I recall that also Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierim (US) have this already performed (last World Championship in LP and maybe earlier too)
    Yes, they've performed beautiful quad twists at Nationals, Worlds and WTT this year. Surprised nobody mentioned them earlier! I'm especially impressed by their quad because the twist seemed to be a problem element for them for some time; Chris said himself that at one point he wasn't sure if they'd get a triple, let alone a quad!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    Yes, they've performed beautiful quad twists at Nationals, Worlds and WTT this year. Surprised nobody mentioned them earlier! I'm especially impressed by their quad because the twist seemed to be a problem element for them for some time; Chris said himself that at one point he wasn't sure if they'd get a triple, let alone a quad!
    are you sure this is true? All the interviews I heard before nationals (where they attempted at the first time) was that they felt confident about their twist and turning it into a quad. Even in 2013 at worlds and nationals the commentators would comment on how ridiculously high their triple twist was, and it was definitely an element they were known for (certainly better than their throws and side by sides). Everyone called for them to try a quad but they brushed it off until after the GP season. If you read the testimonials I even recall them saying "it was always strong for us, so we decided to try quad"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    That might have been more of a clicking thing than a physical thing.

Alexa has said she would rather be able to do the quad twist in the SP as well as she feels it would be easier on her to not have to pull in differently for the triple and the quad.

Also their coach did say they started working on it last April (2014) and basically said they could do it but it was a fearful element specifically for her (Alexa).

So it could have been more of a comfort clicking issue they needed to work through.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast