Italian Federation forced Cappellini/Lanotte to leave Shpilband | Golden Skate

Italian Federation forced Cappellini/Lanotte to leave Shpilband

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I don't know if it was posted or not. Here's the link on his interview: http://fsnews.ru/page-id-2426.html
It's on russian, but Google-translate is understandable.

Reporter: Italians Anna Cappellini and Luca Lanotte left you after World Championships. It's a shame? After all, you brought them to the world title.

Shpilband: For me, to be honest, it was unexpected. They called me, were themselves very upset, said that the decision of federation, it is not their decision. They really wanted to come, but unfortunately they have been changes in the federation, it is the new leadership, they are looking for some new ways options. They were very upset, but what can you do...

P.S. To mods: if it was posted, feel free to delete this thread :)

elif

Medalist
What can you do? You can tell your federation ''we become world and european champions with that coach, If you are forcing us, we are retiring but not quietly as you wanted. Your bullying us will be news for Italian media'' :rolleye: You think being world champions can get you better bargaining position with your federation.:rolleye:

Please...:laugh: Even French Federation couldn't force young couple like Papadakis/Cizeron to change coaches. Sorry If I have hard time to believe that excuse.:laugh:

Last edited:

Snow63

Record Breaker
What can you do? You can tell your federation ''we become world and european champions with that coach, If you are forcing us, we are retiring but not quietly as you wanted. Your bullying us will be news for Italian media'' :rolleye: You think being world champions can get you better bargaining position with your federation.:rolleye:

Please...:laugh: Even French Federation couldn't force young couple like Papadakis/Cizeron to change coaches. Sorry If I have hard time to believe that excuse.:laugh:

Kinda lame excuse, I agree. But I can't believe it was their own idea to leave him for Zueva either.

noskates

Record Breaker
Whoa. That's pretty interesting. There HAS to be a back story there somewhere.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Papadakis/Cizeron had very different circumstances - because they stuck to their guns, they didn't get federation funding for a couple of seasons and got passed over for an Olympic spot. Gabi and Guillaume also were living in France and were indirectly coached by her mother for a couple of seasons - they only got this push after P/B retired and C/J split (or retired?). I'd bet Cappellini/Lanotte needed the funding to continue to train overseas, and switching to Zueva was the way to appease their federation and get the money they needed to pay coaches and living expenses. Still dumb, but explainable. They might not have had the means or sponsers to forgo national funding a la Savchenko/Szolkowy.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
What a bunch of idiots. They won Europeans and Worlds under Shpilband and yet he's not good enough for the federation! And Zueva doesn't have the best reputation either at the moment. I'd say big f you if I were them.

Edit: if it's not true and just a lame excuse, it is even worse.

Last edited:

Snow63

Record Breaker
I wonder why Italian Federation doesn't like Shpilband. If it's true. And why they've chosen Zueva? She had enough teams to train, not to mention she's not very good technical coach.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Papadakis/Cizeron had very different circumstances - because they stuck to their guns, they didn't get federation funding for a couple of seasons and got passed over for an Olympic spot. Gabi and Guillaume also were living in France and were indirectly coached by her mother for a couple of seasons - they only got this push after P/B retired and C/J split (or retired?). I'd bet Cappellini/Lanotte needed the funding to continue to train overseas, and switching to Zueva was the way to appease their federation and get the money they needed to pay coaches and living expenses. Still dumb, but explainable. They might not have had the means or sponsers to forgo national funding a la Savchenko/Szolkowy.
I think this is understandable. Italian fed might think that Zueva is better thanks to D/W and V/M's success. Of course if they try to persuade the fed who knows... Lame escuse maybe, but who wouldn't want higher funding.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think this is understandable. Italian fed might think that Zueva is better thanks to D/W and V/M's success. Of course if they try to persuade the fed who knows... Lame escuse maybe, but who wouldn't want higher funding.

V/M and D/W's success was largely because of Igor. Zueva didn't need to do anything for those 2 teams to continue to dominate. She just needed to step away and not screw it up.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
I didn't follow ice dance much. When did Igor leave Zueva?

After the 2011 Worlds, I believe. D/W, V/M, and the Shibs all said they wanted to stay with Marina, so AE kicked Igor out. It was sad.

Meoima

Match Penalty
After the 2011 Worlds, I believe. D/W, V/M, and the Shibs all said they wanted to stay with Marina, so AE kicked Igor out. It was sad.
But it was 2011, 3 years already. If Igor have helped D/W and V/M that much, then Zueva must have did many things for these 2 team to dominate for almost 3 years until Sochi.
If Zueva is not good at techniques, how can D/W were still so good?

elif

Medalist
I didn't follow ice dance much. When did Igor leave Zueva?

Summer 2012. It was the year Virtue/Moir and Capellini/Lanotte skated with Carmen. That year Capellini/Lanotte's skating become more easy, flowing. They were 3rd in free dance of World Championships.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
But it was 2011, 3 years already. If Igor have helped D/W and V/M that much, then Zueva must have did many things for these 2 team to dominate for almost 3 years until Sochi. If Zueva is not good at techniques, how can D/W were still so good?

They were a product of the Marina/Igor team. That's why a lot of people are watching how S/K develop. Marina does great things choreography wise but it is Igor who was the technician.

elif

Medalist
But it was 2011, 3 years already. If Igor have helped D/W and V/M that much, then Zueva must have did many things for these 2 team to dominate for almost 3 years until Sochi.
If Zueva is not good at techniques, how can D/W were still so good?

It was June 2012.

If we are talking about Davis/White, most lifts, spin positions, twizzles and steps are same elements or positions they did with Igor. Remember Davis/White's first lift in their olympic free dance? They worked on 3 year for that new entry. It was the time they had Igor probably. Zoueva only add combination lift were Davis is upside down and White is spread eagle position. Even there transition to rotational part of the lift is not smooth as it should be. (As a result they didn't got perfect GOE, like other lifts)

Comparing to Davis/White, Virtue/Moir suffered more. They lost lift levels and grade of execution. They skated at finladia+two grand prix+final+nationals+olympic team and olympic dance competitions. You can see they changed elements and transitions every one of them. You don't have to be genius to see first lift of Virtue/Moir is not working. Scott have problem with one foot position. Only after team final she changed to spread eagle. Or last rotational lift of them so generic, they are losing GOE to D/W. A good coach must have seen those and stop until it is too late.

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
I really do not like Marina, but I think Anna and Luca have been very little time with her. What could have made Marina to make them so bad ?, The FD looks good, they do not but the program looks decent. And if they learned something right with Igor, how can they forget it in a very short time. They look untrained in my opinion, and I don´t think Marina suggest to train less.

Matt K

On the Ice

Not true. Firstly, it was after 2012 Worlds. And, according to the published Time article (I am not making this up), the rink management asked D/W who they wanted to keep. D/W chose Marina, so Igor was swiftly removed. Whether or not V/M, Shibutanis, or anyone else had a say in this, remains unknown. We do not even know if V/M or Shibutanis were given a say in any of this.

This was published before the Olympics by Time so I am not slanderously making this up.

I am pretty sure that the rink management was more actively involved than was reported in the first articles on the split. The rink owner and the rink manager issued statements (for instance, to Jo-ann Barnas of the Detroit Free Press) that "the kids" wanted Igor out, but when Davis and White and other skaters were asked about it they said they didn't know anything about it, and in fact were out of town when it all went down and were as surprised as anyone else. I believe that the rink management team had to issue retractions of some of their statements in connection with settling Igor's subsequent law suit.

Here is the quote that all the news sources repeated.

"There was a lot of issues," Craig O'Neill, general manager at the Arctic Edge, told the Free Press. "This has been going on for a couple of months. He's not focused with the kids. What it came down to was the kids didn't want to skate there (in Canton) any more with Igor. Either they were leaving or Igor was leaving."

Note this is O'Neill speaking, not the skaters.

Rumors persist that a new investor came into the picture, but I have not been able to verify this (by examining county tax records, etc.), so I don't know whether this is true or not. Many details have never been made public.

Last edited: