Daisuke Murakami Q and A | Golden Skate

Daisuke Murakami Q and A

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Daisuke Murakami: “To pop up on the top of the podium was like a cherry on top”

Per @Tatjana21's tweet, this long interview in English seems to be newly posted today, although it was conducted after NHK.
ETA, mini-correction: the interview was posted on Dec 25, according to the news listings on the site.​

Lots of good stuff re new approaches to training and to competition that led to Murakami's win at NHK.

Among the interesting details of his background:
He did not start skating until age ten.
Mao Asada's mother was a big influence in his decision to start skating for Japan instead of the U.S.
In 2012, he graduated from a Japanese university. He would fly back and forth btwn the U.S. and Japan just to take tests. :bow:

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Awesome interview! thanks for sharing :)

One question: did USFS do anything to keep him?

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Great interview. He comes off very level-headed and very likable. I hope he does well in the LP. Between him and Mura for 3rd and 4th place. One goes to world, one goes to 4CC.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I think he is very brave to decide to skate for Japan when it may have been easier for him in the US...I hope he has many more perfect performances like he did at NHK.
This could be his Time to break out as the field has thinned in the men. Daisuke, Oda and Tatsuki have all retired...carry the torch Dice. :cheer: