Spain’s Fernandez aims for third European title | Golden Skate

Spain’s Fernandez aims for third European title

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Javier Fernandez of Spain prepares for his ninth appearance at the 2015 ISU European Figure Skating Championships.

More

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Javier is the clear favourite with the fall from grace of the French and Italians and the Czech rebuilding. Not sure if the Russians can challenge Javier who is more of a complete skater.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
What a great article. Thanks! When I read his comments, I hear his cute Spanish accent saying this stuff. :biggrin:
I think it's funny that Fernandez is 'merely' aiming for the podium at worlds. This is his chance to win and become World Champion!
Perhaps his slightly more relaxed view of competition makes him happier in life, and if that is so, good for him.

Last edited:

Tatjana

On the Ice
What a great article. Thanks! When I read his comments, I hear his cute Spanish accent saying this stuff. :biggrin:
I think it's funny the Fernandez is 'merely' aiming for the podium at worlds. This is his chance to win and become World Champion!
Perhaps his slightly more relaxed view of competition makes him happier in life, and if that is so, good for him.

Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed the article. I love Javi's accent, too. ;-)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope he wins the title. I :love: Javi! He's so endearing (oh, I love his skating too)!

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
great article, thanks for sharing, love him as skater but i love his personality more, his ignorance of hatefull people, not caring about them at all, daring them by posting photos with miki :laugh: his attitude towards yuzuru and working harder than him, thats the way to go!! although yuzuru is my favourite i wouldnt mind javi winning the medal, i am sure yuzuru wouldnt mind as well :biggrin: and what happened with some fans and yuzuru during gpf, he confirms what we thought at the first place, attention being a distraction
It is a big distraction during the days that you are competing,” said Fernandez. “After the competition, I spent a lot of time with the people and with the media. But those two days we have the short and free program, they are special to me and I have to keep myself a little more organized with everything that I do. I cannot go crazy with people and with the media, because that will take away my concentration from the competition.”
hopefully people will read this and understand the athlete's decisions

Weathergal

Medalist
Well done article! I have a feeling it touched on
things a lot of people had been wondering about--how Javier felt about the pressure in Barcelona, his goals for upcoming competitions, how he met Miki, etc. The article seemed to capture his personality well in just a few paragraphs. The more I hear from him, the more I like him! And let's face it: Javier + "Black Betty" program + that razor stubble he's been sporting = handsome!

noskates

Record Breaker
I really enjoy Javi's skating and his Black Betty SP is one of the best I've seen in a very long time. I hope he can overcome the nerves and the pressure and take it all at Worlds. I am not a fan of Hanyu, never have been. He has the technical ability but I think the enjoyment of his skating stops there. I really would like to see Javi (and Spain) win Europeans AND Worlds!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I really enjoy Javi's skating and his Black Betty SP is one of the best I've seen in a very long time. I hope he can overcome the nerves and the pressure and take it all at Worlds. I am not a fan of Hanyu, never have been. He has the technical ability but I think the enjoyment of his skating stops there. I really would like to see Javi (and Spain) win Europeans AND Worlds!

It's great that there are two such accomplished skaters that are well rounded and that bring two completely different styles to the ice.
That way there is something for everyone to enjoy.
If Javi can land all 3 of his quads in the LP and not mess up the lutz combination and/or zayak, there is no reason he can't get the World Championship title this year.
Of course, if Hanyu has recovered, even if he is 70%, he's going to fight tooth and nail for the title too. So it's going to be exciting.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
Wish Javi all the best and winning his 3rd European title. And may all the Cricket Brothers have a good competition at Worlds...hope we see a joyful podium again :biggrin:

Bumdid

Record Breaker
I hope Javi wins again. I'm not ready for Tarasova to gloat that Kovtun is the best skater in the world right now if he won.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Great articel/interview, thanks so much, Tatjana!!! Fernandez is such a nice, well-balanced guy and I like the honest way he answers to questions.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Javi should absolutely get his third European title. He easily beat Voronov and Kovtun at GPF despite his mistakes. Who else can challenge...? Maybe a completely-on Brezina, but that's going to take a miracle to appear. :slink:

I hope Javi fights for that World title, despite what he says.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
The title is his to lose IMO. Lets hope some of that Hanyu-esque fighting spirit rubbed off on him :rock:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I expect Javi and Sergei to hold on to gold and silver...Kovtun can have bronze, I guess.

I will never understand why anyone thinks it's their right to "complain" about photos of someone else's relationship...I hope Javi and Miki know how to block people on Instagram that just want to harass them.

littlexflower

Rinkside
I like all three of them, Javi, Maxim and Sergei but I will root for Javi, Cricket Brothers for the win :rock: In Wolrds it would be lovely if Yuzu has the gold and Javi has the silver. I love you Javi but Yuzu is still my eternal love, my beloved ice prince :eek:: :laugh:

ragdoll

On the Ice
Will be there and cheer loudly for Javi at Euros. I can't see who could beat him unless he has a complete meltdown which is not likely to happen. Will be cheering for Voronov as well. He has a certain charm and I don't know why but I hope he beats Kovtun.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Will be there and cheer loudly for Javi at Euros. I can't see who could beat him unless he has a complete meltdown which is not likely to happen. Will be cheering for Voronov as well. He has a certain charm and I don't know why but I hope he beats Kovtun.

My dream podium would be that Fernandez wins the gold again, Kovtun the silver and Voronov the bronze medal.

Last edited: