Cathy and Chris Reed split | Golden Skate

Cathy and Chris Reed split

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The strange thing is that Chris wants to continue when he has been so frequently injured. I wish them both success in their future endeavors.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Chris and Cathy are coached by Zoueva.....could Chris be a good partner with Alex Aldridge? He doesn't have U.S. Citizenship anymore though...

There's also that other Japanese Ice Dancer who is looking...but she's a lot younger than him.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Shame. But not surprised - I had a feeling this was coming after seeing Cathy so emotional at WTT - I thought there must be something more to it than just a mistake in their performance eg. planning to retire and wanting to go out on a high note.

I will miss them. I always enjoyed their programs and costumes regardless that they never looked like becoming champions.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Chris and Cathy are coached by Zoueva.....could Chris be a good partner with Alex Aldridge? He doesn't have U.S. Citizenship anymore though...

There's also that other Japanese Ice Dancer who is looking...but she's a lot younger than him.

I mentioned it in the Gala thread, but what about a sibling swap?

Chris switching big sister for wee sister.

Although Cathy and Chris have had tough times over the years, Allison has had a lot worse! To the extent that I didn't see her on the international stage for a good few years.

Admittely that did include an embargo, after she switched from Georgia to Israel. But, she hasn't seemed to make any progress with Rogov from where she was with Japaridze.

So, might she benefit from a change to a more successful, more experienced partner?

And at least if it was her brother, she wouldn't have to worry about getting to know them, and all their ways of doing things. :agree:

Personally, though, I can't see it happening. I can't see Chris wanting to be sitting out at this stage of his career, while wee sister is under embargo. And, for that matter, I can't see Allison wanting to be under embargo again.

CaroLiza_fan

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Checking the entry list of ice dance at Jpn nationals 14-15 season, there were 7 couples on the list. So far 3 of the 7 couples have split (including Reeds).
I wonder that was why JSF has announced a tryout for ice dancers a while ago. IIRC, the tryout will take place soon later in Apr or early May. And originally Cathy and Chris were invited to the tryout to do a demo there. So now obviously Chris will still attend the tryout to search for possible partner (I guess that's what he means based on the news). Don't know if Cathy will still go for the demo.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Have you been Facebook stalking, Mrs. P?

Because I just had a look at Chris' profile to see if he had posted a statement like Cathy had. And guess whose name I spotted in the box telling you who Chris has recently become connected with.

Yep, Alexandra Aldridge!

Probably doesn't mean anything significant, but I just thought I would throw that into the mix...

CaroLiza_fan

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I'm not surprised, especially after WTT. Good luck to Chris with his new future partner, and to Cathy in her non-competitive career!

slider11

Medalist
I am not surprised about the retirement with Cathy's tearful response after their FD. I always liked their performances. They didn't have the highest skill level but brought a lot of heart to their skating. And Japan has never been able to find a ice dance team to top them so they've certainly had a ride. But I am surprised that Chris, too, is hanging in after all his injuries. It always seemed to me that his nagging injuries are what kept them from excelling. Alexandra is probably close to Cathy's size so maybe they'll stay in the Zoueva camp. That might be awakward with Daniel Eaton there but maybe not. Sometimes partners just know it's not working and can move on. But if Chris and Alexandra are looking at aligning with the US they will have a long wait. I think Chock and Bates and the Shibs are in it for the next 3 years. And Hawayek and Baker seem to be the next hot item. Not sure about Hubbell and Donahue but they may have a resurgence. At 25 can Chris hang on for more than 3 years considering his nagging injuries?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
They could,represent Japan, but Alex would have to wait a year and there's no chance she will get citizenship to go to the Olympics unless Japan changes its rules.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Everybody, read Cathy's statement on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/cathy.reed.9212/posts/10153439179417481

What a beautiful way of putting things! Especially what she said about Chris.

I've always been a fan, but after reading this, you can't help but love her even more.

All the best for the future, Cathy. We'll miss you.

CaroLiza_fan

FYI, this FB link does not work for me -- although I am logged into FB and can see other stuff on Cathy Reed's page.
(But I am not one of her FB friends. Maybe she has limited this particular post to that group, and I certainly would respect her choice to do so.)

But I like your post, CL_fan. Thank you.

And I'm so glad that Hanyu and the other skaters applauded and embraced (literally) Cathy so warmly at the WTT gala.

Last edited:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Such sad news. Too bad they had never fullfied their potential. Wish her happy life though and to him as well.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Awww I always liked the Reeds. They have been good competitors for Japan. They may have not reached that "elite" echelon
of ice dance but have always conducted themselves on and off the ice with class. They had a nice soothing style about their skating.
I will miss them. Best wishes and good luck to Cathy!

It will be interesting to see how things work out for Chris in his search.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
FYI, this FB link does not work for me -- although I am logged into FB and can see other stuff on Cathy Reed's page.
(But I am not one of her FB friends. Maybe she has limited this particular post to that group, and I certainly would respect her choice to do so.)

But I like your post, CL_fan. Thank you.

Just looked at the privacy settings, and it is set to "friends and friends of those tagged" (i.e. her parents, and Chris).

I was going to quote it here, but in light of this privacy setting, I have now decided not to.

Sorry for getting your hopes up. If I had realised that it was not a public post, and hence that most of you wouldn't be able to read it, I wouldn't have bothered posting the link on here.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just looked at the privacy settings, and it is set to "friends and friends of those tagged" (i.e. her parents, and Chris).

I was going to quote it here, but in light of this privacy setting, I have now decided not to.

Sorry for getting your hopes up. If I had realised that it was not a public post, and hence that most of you wouldn't be able to read it, I wouldn't have bothered posting the link on here.

CaroLiza_fan

No worries, CL_fan.
I know that your intentions were good, as always :).

And I agree 100% :agree: with your decision not to quote from the post -- when she actively chose to limit its accessibility to friends.
No question that she is entitled to her privacy, esp. regarding such an important milestone in her life.