Nathan Chen | Page 720 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Nathan said he got pretty good grades and he's happy with that - no complaints!

He said Raf said like everyday since Nathan was back for winter break, You need to come back! He respects Nathan's decision but wishes Nathan could stay full time.

He said he was not sure yet about 4CC - TBD - but he would love to, it's in California and a great event.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Nathan said 'it was cool he had the opportunity to compete at Worlds last year and happened to win', but it happened in the past and it's not something he really wants to bring into future competitions

He tries not to think about being the favorite for Nationals - and actually prefers to be in the underdog position

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Throughout the season he has attempted less quads than in past seasons - he wasn't really ready to attempt the quads and also it's not that worth it right now - if you make a mistake.

SP - says he probably will do the same - 4F and 4T. Though he's still playing around with different layouts. He wants to bring the 4Lz back and try to land that in his long program. Probably will be similar to GPF FS - 4F, 4Lz, 4T. Said the number of quads as of now shouldn't really fluctuate too much - 'one of each' and 'Ultimately I just want to skate a clean program.'

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Nathan said 'it was cool he had the opportunity to compete at Worlds last year and happened to win', but it happened in the past and it's not something he really wants to bring into future competitions
I love how happy and relaxed he is this season. It just makes me feel all bubbly. Good luck, Nathan!

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Phil Hersch asked him if he cares to reveal his GPA, lol

'In regards to the GPA thing - I'm not going to say the exact number, but there are some A's and B's sprinkled in'

How much time he gets at Ingalls Rink - it depends on the hockey schedule, but on average he gets 1.5 hrs a day, Monday to Friday.

sheetz

Record Breaker
It was cute to listen to Mariah's call and the way she talked about Nathan and his relationship with her and Romain.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Nathan is one of the skaters who will be featured in the ISU series, "This Is My Program," where he discusses how one of his programs came to be. James and Cipres is already up. Stepanova and Bukin will be added on 1/19.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuiPiC1Hk8eIfZLIkoDKaE_YHF7pQ-pth
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In a Russian interview Andrei Lazukin mentions Nathan as one of his favorite skaters currently competing.
https://sport.business-gazeta.ru/article/232940

From Google translate:
- Favorite skaters?

- Nathan Chen, Shoma Uno - one of those who ride now. Yuzuru? He's good, but Nathan is better now. On technology so accurately, and he has no problems with choreography. The music feels amazing, the programs are chic. If out of time, then Patrick Chan and Jeremy Abbott. An unusual choice, but in terms of filing an image, Abotott Master Skate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mao mentioned Nathan in her interview with the Japanese magazine Number.
 ネイサン・チェンの演技の時は、4年前のソチ五輪での自分を思い出しましたね。ショートの時は、心が痛かったです。フリーまでの間は時間もなくて、ソチの時は私も気持ちの切り替えをするのが本当に大変だったので、彼もショートが終わった後の夜は辛いだろうな、傷ついているだろうなと思っていました。「真央もできたからできるよ!」って伝えたいくらいでした。フリーでは素晴らしい演技をして本当に良かったです。
During Nathan Chen's performance I was reminded of myself in Sochi four years earlier. At the time of the short my heart was aching. In Sochi it was extremely difficult for me to change my mindset after the short, so with no time until the free that night was likely a very stressful time for him as well. I wondered if he was injured. I wanted to let him know, "Mao was able to do it so you can too!" I was truly happy he was able to skate a wonderful free.
https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/833165?page=3