Moore-Towers and Marinaro: ‘No stone unturned’ | Golden Skate

Moore-Towers and Marinaro: ‘No stone unturned’

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canada’s Kirsten Moore-Towers and Michael Marinaro had a good showing this past season in their first year together as a team. The skaters paired up last June and were on the ice competing four months later at Skate Canada and Trophée Éric Bompard, where they placed sixth and seventh, respectively.

[More]

This season, the team has completely revamped their lifts, throws and death spirals.

“We started from scratch and completely rebuilt these elements with new technique,” said Marinaro. “At first, it was a very difficult and slow start, but we are bringing everything together now.”

“Two of our three free program lifts are different and more challenging for us, but we are surrounded by some brilliant lifters and learn a lot from them,” added Moore-Towers. “We have also changed our triple toe sequence to a three jump combo.”

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thanks so much for this article. I find it very interesting to gain more insight into the difficulties teams find when they change partners. I would, for example, have thought that lifts would be easier for Michael Marinaro, given Kirsten is so much shorter that his previous partner, Margaret Purdy. Evidently not. :eek:

I look forward to seeing how the team develops this season at their Skate Canada and Cup of Russia assignments.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Thanks so much for this article. I find it very interesting to gain more insight into the difficulties teams find when they change partners. I would, for example, have thought that lifts would be easier for Michael Marinaro, given Kirsten is so much shorter that his previous partner, Margaret Purdy. Evidently not. :eek:

I look forward to seeing how the team develops this season at their Skate Canada and Cup of Russia assignments.

Yes, I'm really interested to see how they've grown since moving to Montreal. I think working with other really high level teams, and to not be the top team at the rink, is really good for them. Sometimes a new perspective on things also is good. Size is not the only factor in being able to execute good lifts. It's a lot about timing and balance. It takes both partners first of all, and both KMT and Michael are coming from very different partnerships. Michael's had 7 years to get used to a specific technique to balance the lifts with Margaret. There's muscle memory and habit that comes into play. With KMT, I'm sure the timing and flow into the lift, the balance points, as well as the change in size is going to take a bit to master. For KMT, Michael is taller, the technique is different, and I'm sure this changes how lifts feel for her as well. It is not surprising that they would have to re-learn how to lift.

slider11

Medalist
I wish them well. I did not see the spark last year. That's the hard part to learn, teach, revamp. But let's see what this season brings!

tulosai

Record Breaker
I find it hilarious that they are going to do their LP to Romeo and Juliet. I guess we'll see....

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I find it hilarious that they are going to do their LP to Romeo and Juliet. I guess we'll see....

Considering I saw zero chemistry between them last year, you may be right. Well all things considered they have no direction to go but up, so good luck to them. But again, I think they're just essentially mismatched.