No rest for Japan's Yuzuru Hanyu | Golden Skate

No rest for Japan's Yuzuru Hanyu

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Japan's Yuzuru Hanyu began the 2015-16 figure skating season with a victory at the Autumn Classic in Barrie, Ont., followed by a silver medal at 2015 Skate Canada in Lethbridge, Alta.

More

Hanyu’s next event is NHK Trophy, which will take place in two weeks in Nagano, Japan. Until then, the 2015 World silver medalist will continue to keep improving. Performing three quads has been his goal, but he doesn’t feel that he has met it yet.

“I didn’t do them perfect yet,” said the two-time and reigning ISU Grand Prix Final Champion. “I’d like to do these jumps as clean as possible and work on the creativity of my programs. In the future I would like to do a kind of program that only I can do and express on the ice.”

What are your thoughts on his long program this season?

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
It's great. His long is the most creative, inventive, and original of the entire field. Credit MUST be given for that...

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It's an ambitious program that's interesting and fun to watch. I don't think Yuzu has been so involved in the creative process of any of his other programs like he has in with SEIMEI. From music editing to historical research.
Here is a TV special that covers the various stages of the creation of Seimei along with a fan-translation of the video
http://yuzusorbet.tumblr.com/post/133447470147/the-road-to-completion-of-seimei-partial

Bonus: If you are sightseeing in Japan and want to know the correct way to pray at a shrine, Yuzu gives a picture perfect example. :biggrin:

It really makes me sad that the original step sequence (seen in the video) had to be changed because when he tried it at the Autumn Classic it only got a level 2.
The new step-sequence is not bad and it also matches the music, but the original steps had a minimalistic feel that is much more 'Japanese' in my mind. Using the negative space to accentuate the rhythm is more in line with the style, but COP does not appreciate minimalism.
And, as usual, I can't really sit back and relax when watching Yuzu live, due to his constantly pushing the boundaries in every direction, one never knows how much will actually be successfully skated in competition. But man, it's exciting. :palmf::luv17:

Last edited:

oriquey

Final Flight
I love his FS very much this season. Too bad he had to change the step sequence because of the levels. I'm happy to hear of his research and participation in the creative process with Shae-Lynn. Hope that this signals a departure from overused/warhorse music from now on. He probably did venture out with his Chopin SP last year but his involvement in the shaping of the SEIMEI FS is something new for him. I can't wait to see what he has in store next season.

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Yuzuru's Seimei LP is honestly my favorite program of the season. And given that I wasn't as much into his last 3 LPs, I can't tell you how happy that makes me :laugh:
Even if it's not to someones personal taste, I think you can't deny that it's artistically challenging just as much as it is technically, and that the whole concept is something new and different that sticks out from the rest of the field. His drive to go for something original, something only he can do and perform, and how much heart he puts into it is inspiring to see and makes me kind of proud to be his fan. I'm sure he'll give us some lovely performances with this program :love:

And...
I didn’t have enough time for recovery, but I think I feel normal. I have to work for my fans. I have to think of other people and not just of myself

No, no you don't. You don't have to work for your fans, you "have to be" healthy and happy for your fans! Happy, okay?:agree2:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's great. His long is the most creative, inventive, and original of the entire field. Credit MUST be given for that...

I wouldn't say it's the most original in its choreography (that goes to Chan) but it is probably the most exciting to watch. I wouldn't really call it inventive, but it's a new side of *Hanyu* that we haven't seen, which is refreshing. It's nice to see a powerful freeskate to music that hasn't been skated to before, with a good crescendo instead of another warhorse.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
“I tried to skate exactly as how I practice every day,” said the 20-year-old. “It didn’t need to be perfect, but I just wanted to show what I do in practice. I believed that I could do it because I had a good feeling. So I was able to do every quad in the free program.”

“I fell on the Lutz, which is probably also a part of how I practice,” he added with a laugh.

:laugh: fix that lutz!
So looking forward to NHK. -And nervous too.
The 4Sal, which everyone thought was a choreographed fall 2 seasons ago has been very good since the end of last season. Landed with +GOE at GPF, WTT, Autumn Classic and Skate Canada.

That's solid progress. :hap10:

giulia95

Medalist
4S was a choreographed fall in 2012-2013 season and in 2013-2014 Olympic season, and it evoked tons of criticism. 4S was finally fixed after COC accident in 2014-2015 season when Yuzu was injured and trained in Japan . in Barcelona I think Yuzu jumped one of his best 4S ever , a monstrous effortless jump :hap93::luv17:

Rissa

Record Breaker
What are your thoughts on his long program this seaon?

It needs the bacwards crossrolls back... :cry: Otherwise, it's great. The best-choreographed program this season, one that stands out amongst others and suits Hanyu like a glove

Last edited:

andyjo24

Medalist
I do not like his Seimei program (it's very empty, slow, and boring IMO), but I respect him for his work ethic. Sometimes, I'm a bit scared if he's going overboard. It's not going to be good for his body when he gets older....

andyjo24

Medalist
^Are we watching the same thing? How the heck is it slow and empty?

If you're talking about his SC FS, yes we are....

To me, he appears to be just going through the motions. The program is pretty much a jump routine to me. I respect him for trying something else other than R&J and dramatic music for once, but that program is just very boring to me. Thats just my opinion. His Chopin SP is great though

Meoima

Match Penalty
I do not like his Seimei program (it's very empty, slow, and boring IMO), but I respect him for his work ethic. Sometimes, I'm a bit scared if he's going overboard. It's not going to be good for his body when he gets older....
Yes it's empty with tons of transitions and difficult entries. :handw: I guess the Italian Europsport commentators who once were skaters...were blind to praise Yuzuru's difficulties he has shown in his Seimei.
Count the transitions, steps that he is using in his long program, then compare it to other top men, and we will talk about how Seimei is "empty" later. :)
You don't like it, fine. No problem. But you can't tell a program is empty when in fact it's loaded with transitions. :sarcasm: The program has many difficult transition, that is a fact.
And if you think doing too many crossovers is the sign of a busy program, then I beg to differ.

Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker

To me, he appears to be just going through the motions. The program is pretty much a jump routine to me. I respect him for trying something else other than R&J and dramatic music for once, but that program is just very boring to me. Thats just my opinion. His Chopin SP is great though

It looks jam-packed to me. There are so many cool moves in the program, as well as an adherence to the source material.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty

That means you just don't get it. Or really, the rationale behind the choreography.

andyjo24

Medalist
Okay. You guys are right that there are many transitions in his program, but still, the program just makes me feel empty. Maybe it's because it's TOO jam-packed and difficult for my taste. It seems like he's just trying to get through the elements in the program, which is understandable because his program and jump elements are so difficult. More is not always better IMO.

At this point, I don't care for his Seimei LP. Maybe my opinion will change later on in the season.

Last edited: