Yuzuru Hanyu: 2021-22 | Page 29 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2021-22

icetug

Medalist
so why change coach if these two already know each other well. :pray:
Yuzu had the best results having Brian and Ghislaine as his coaches, but I can see at least three possible reasons for switching:
- Brian was/is much against 4A so their paths parted
- Yuzu doesn't want to leave Japan but needs a coach
- Yuzu decided to stay a quad or more longer so wants to have a fresh strong start into these years with a new coaching team.

Magill

Record Breaker
Yuzu had the best results having Brian and Ghislaine as his coaches, but I can see at least three possible reasons for switching:
- Brian was/is much against 4A so their paths parted
- Yuzu doesn't want to leave Japan but needs a coach
- Yuzu decided to stay a quad or more longer so wants to have a fresh strong start into these years with a new coaching team.
It all sounds reasonable. Still I think most probable is his announcement on skipping the GP season to concentrate on Japanese Nats and the Worlds. Might be accompanied by some statement clarifying his coaching situation which might go both ways really - either going back to Brian Orser or switching to someone in Japan.
We'll know soon enough who's right, wrong or in the middle :)
Whatever he decides, I just hope his decision will make him happy and turns out for the best! For him:)

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Does anyone know what time the press conference will be happening? (local time, I can convert to my own time zone if necessary) I seem to have overlooked that bit of information if it was in the announcements I read.

I just want to be prepared for when to frantically check my phone 😆

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone know what time the press conference will be happening? (local time, I can convert to my own time zone if necessary) I seem to have overlooked that bit of information if it was in the announcements I read.

I just want to be prepared for when to frantically check my phone 😆
It'll be happening at around 5 pm Japan time on Tuesday, July 19. It'll be around 1 am my time, so I'll probably be too sleepy to check my phone. 😆

I just hope that whatever decision Yuzuru makes is the decision that is best for him.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
It'll be happening at around 5 pm Japan time on Tuesday, July 19. It'll be around 1 am my time, so I'll probably be too sleepy to check my phone. 😆

I just hope that whatever decision Yuzuru makes is the decision that is best for him.
Thank you! About 6 am my time then… I’ll see if I can manage to be awake but I probably won’t be 😆

Agreed. If it is career related, I’m sure he’s given it a lot of serious thought and I trust that he’ll make whatever decision is right for his own well-being. If it turns out it’s actually him announcing something like a new line of branded earbuds or a charity initiative… well, I’m sure we’ll all have a good laugh and support him, haha.

icetug

Medalist
Nikkansports says it's retirement... Seriously, if so, they shouldn't announce it before Yuzuru himself. If not, what the **** they are thinking about?

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Nikkansports says it's retirement... Seriously, if so, they shouldn't announce it before Yuzuru himself. If not, what the **** they are thinking about?

I would like to understand Japanese, but this gives and impression of rather speculating than knowing anything more than us. I'm not denying that a retirement announcement is likely, rather that I doubt that this newspaper really knows it. If the announcement is something else, I hope people will remember their "prediction".

Magill

Record Breaker
I would like to understand Japanese, but this gives and impression of rather speculating than knowing anything more than us. I'm not denying that a retirement announcement is likely, rather that I doubt that this newspaper really knows it. If the announcement is something else, I hope people will remember their "prediction".
But ain't it true that some two weeks ago he announced he was going to compete this season?
I mean, of course he can change his mind any time and as many times as he likes, but it seems it was just a while ago...

Last edited:

Kris135

On the Ice
But ain't it true that some two weeks ago he announced he was going to compete this season?
I mean, of course he can change his mind any time and as many times as he likes, but it seems it was just a while ago...
Well he might be retiring and this could just be an announcement that he is not competing the GP this season and will doing ice shows instead, and even if it is retirement he may change his mind closer to 2026. So lets see what he is going to say before commenting. Though the main reason he seemed to be staying in was to be the first man to land a QUAD AXEL and seeing Ilia do it with such ease may have been the main reason that he may be retiring because he may fell he can not compete with that.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

But then, Japanese is often vague with a lot of 'maybe's in what would be factual statements in Western languages.

icetug

Medalist
Planet Hanyu gives links to the stream:

Youtube link works for me: