Diet Dilema | Golden Skate

Diet Dilema

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well here I go again, every summer I start thinking I need to slim down a little. As it is fast approaching summer, my diet dilema is beginning. Many workmates have successfully tried the Atkins diet. Everytime I try this diet, I only last a day at the most. I start to feel weak. Has anyone here tried the Atkins diet? The idea of existing on pure protien does not appeal to me. I believe we all need balanced diets. Don't know how to get around this one. Any suggestions?

:confused:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I wouldnt suggest the atkins diet to anyone... I know that thousands of people have had incredible success with the plan, and I applaud them for it.... but I've taken some nutrition courses in college and I just cant get behind the logic of it. My parents both went on it, and each of them lost quite a bit of weight and enjoyed being able to eat high protein and high fat foods because they were typically high taste. But following the program really wreaked havic on my mom's system and caused her to get dangerously low on patassium and a few other nutrients (this is a common reaction your body has when you assault it with such large quantities of food that is taxing on the digestive system). She eneded up in the hospital over this past thanksgiving holiday for 4 days. It was very scary. And while we cannot completely attribute this to the atkins program with out the shadow of a doubt, her physician urgerd her to go off of it.

I think that other high protein carb restricting diets such as south beach or the zone might be something to look into. From what I've heard they are much less restrictive and emphasize good fats (down with transfats!!!) and good carbs.

I know it sounds hackneyed but I think its important to consult your doctor before begining any kind of diet regimine... you will want to establish a baseline for your cholesterol and bp.

Good luck!!! I know I'm always looking for the magic plan... currently I'm reading Superfoods RX which is a really interesting book that explains the value of nutrients found in the "superfoods" like berries, salmon, soy and oats... if you are in the bookstore I would highly recommend it.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Longhornliz:

Thanks! I totally agree with your reply. I think a well balanced diet is the best way to go. It takes some discipline, but in the end it is worthwhile. Anyway, it is better to lose weight slowly. Walking is also a good way to slim down. Everyone at work thinks I am slim enough, but you know how it is! It's that extra 5-10 lbs one would like to shed that is the toughest!!!!

Thanks again.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
It's all personal I guess. I kinda reluctantly agreed to do the Aitkins because MrBG wanted to do it and I do need to lose. Of course, MrBG would eat a dog tird if it was wrapped in bacon, so the diet was no problem for him.

We had seen this show on TV where 3 Doctors did the diet for the show, one was rushed to hospital because of it. Well, lo and behold I too was rushed to hospital. Maybe I just didn't do it right, or maybe everyone's body is different, but no matter how much wheat germ, grain fiber, etc,, what I took, I still was all clogged up. (all that proteen and few vegs) MrBG, who cheated by drinking black coffee everyday, didn't have any problem. He also lost much more than I did.

The one good thing, with less carbs my low blood sugar problem improved. Now I just try not to overdo it with the carbs.

At any rate, it's a diet like all the others. As soon as we stopped, all the weight came right back on quicker than you can say "did you shrink my jeans in the dryer?". Bottom line, it's not a diet I'd want for life, so think of that before you begin any diet.

Kateri

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
At any rate, it's a diet like all the others. As soon as we stopped, all the weight came right back on quicker than you can say "did you shrink my jeans in the dryer?". Bottom line, it's not a diet I'd want for life, so think of that before you begin any diet.

Very true! You lose weight fast, but gain it back twice as fast if you stop!
I don't want any diet that says I can never again eat stuff I like.

I'd prefer to eat reasonably sensibly, and make sure to get exercise doing something you enjoy. If you build some muscle, then you burn more calories just sitting watching TV!

I also heard that celery is an anti-calorie food, since you burn more calories digesting it than you gain from eating it!!
...pity I don't like celery...

k.

euterpe

Medalist
I've been on a modified Atkins diet for the past two years. I lost a total of 60 lbs (at a rate of 1-2 lbs per week) and have been able to maintain the weight loss without feeling starved or deprived. I don't overdo on the fats (pretty much just breakfast bacon or sausage), eat lots of chicken and some fish, and I take vitamins and calcium every day. I do eat carbs, but only from fruits and vegetables. I do not eat bread, pasta, rice or potatoes, and I do not drink alcohol. My cholesterol is lower than 150.

I've been on many diets over the years, and the worst thing for me when on a diet is a feeling of deprivation and an intense focus on food. With Atkins, I do not think of food at all unless I am truly hungry, and that is usually when it is time for a meal, so I never feel deprived.

Although Atkins has worked particularly well for me, with my body chemistry and food preferences, it is not necessarily for everyone, as others have reported. For me, bread and other starches were always 'my poison', and doing without them has been truly liberating for me.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
As a Lifetime member who has stayed below goal weight (20 plus pound loss) for almost four years, may I HIGHLY recommend Weight Watchers? Its healthy and safe and there are no forbidden foods. Plus, it teaches you portion control and is a lifestyle change more than a diet. Going to meetings may not seem appealing, but I really enjoyed them and they kept me on track and gave me encouragement. At long as you're willing to do it the slow and RIGHT way (1-2 pounds per week), WW is a great choice. I don't "journal" anymore but I'm so used to the lifestyle that I know my breakfast today totaled 7 points and how to plan the rest of the day from there--much less tedious than counting calories.

If you want to talk to some others who have tried it, a great source is Dotti's Weight Loss Zone:

www.dwlz.com

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

By the by, I can confirm as a doctor that all the points Longhornliz made are right on the money. While Adkins does peel off the pounds, it can have lasting and harmful side effects. And you SHOULD see your doctor if you are going for a serious weight loss of twenty pounds or more. Good call, Liz!!!!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Lad, I recently bought a small, inexpensive pedometer. It's clipped to my waistband. At 10,000 steps per day, weight loss is suppose to happen. Anyway, it makes you more aware of what you are doing. It's easy to check. Now, when I shop, I make sure I am parked as far away as possible to maximize my steps. Just grocercy shopping the other day was 1,000 steps, so it's not hard to do. I hate planned exercising, but now this and my Salsa video, I feel I am doing just that. What does this have to do with dieting? Well, I am more aware of what I am eating, but when I over-do it, I just find someplace to walk............42

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I couldn't do the Atkins thing....I luuuuv my carbs!

I've thought about dieting a lot, but it usually doesn't go very far

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Kara........I have this mini-poster stuck to my fridge. It's a picture of an orangatan and the caption reads..."I keep trying to lose weight, but it keeps finding me!" :D 42

Johar

Medalist
My only diet is cutting back, eating sensibly and exercising more. It really does work. Cut back or eliminate soft drinks.

I got up today at 6 and went out biking and walking for 45 minutes. I walked 45 minutes last night.

Remember, it won't happen overnight. It takes weeks and months to get rid of flab caused by poor diet and lack of exercise.

My husband is on what you might call a "modified Atkins" diet right now. His cholesterol AND blood sugars were high as well as his weight getting out of hand.
We've ALMOST cut out all pasta and potatoes and rice. He's using "low carb" breads for sandwiches....eating lots of vegetables and drinking a lot of water. He had a little trouble getting slightly dizzy a few times at first, so he hasn't completely cut out sugars. The weight is coming off, not real fast, but definately coming off, and he's feeling really good. It's benefiting me some as well to not have any junk food in the house.
Several years ago I simply cut back on some of my fat intake, drank plenty of water and took a 15-20 minute walk almost every day....I dropped 25 lbs. between April & September. I had the incentive of a Florida vacation in September to motivate me, tho! :rolleye:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Thank you all for the tips! I must say it is nice to get feedback. I too have successfully stuck to weight watchers - years ago - actually did not attend the meetings. My mother helped me! She made my meals for me and I had to walk two miles a day to and from the bus as I was taking a course. Really helped me. I don't really need to lose much weight, but I do need to start eating well again. I was married to a diabetic for twelve years so understand quite a bit about diet and nutrition. I know the Atkins diet is not really good for one. I am surprised how popular it has become. I guess people are always looking for a "miracle" diet and something that works fast. Unfortunately, one puts back on the weight as just as quickly. It's good to read your experiences though! Thanks. I really appreciate it.

:D

Lucy25

Final Flight
Well, for starters, Atkins is NOT a pure protein diet. It's not even a "diet", but a way of life. I started with Atkins two years ago to get my poor eating habits under control. Once I did that, I modified it into a low carbohydrate way of eating, which has been very successful for me. Simply put, just limit the processed foods you eat. Get rid of the junk (chips, white flour anything, full sugar sodas and juices). Just by doing that you will see results and feel SO much better. To make it even better, eat your veggies! Luurve my veggies, especially now with grilling season here. Nothing better than a good piece of grilled meat with fresh veggies.

Another thing, stay away from all diet foods, including all the new low carb chips, crackers, and candy coming out. (They give a lot of people gas :eek: !) Low carb breads are ok because they are made with healthy grains and are filled with fiber. Eat "real" foods. I would rather eat a small portion of real ice cream or a piece of Godiva chocolate if I wanted a treat, than the fake stuff.

Oh yeah, you have to get moving, even if it is a short walk.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I agree with what lucy25 said about avoiding processed foods!!! They are loaded with chemicals, transfats and often are made with genetically altered products (agroscience is a little scary to me). I cut out processed foods almost completely a few months ago, and I feel so cleansed and light. I only eat fresh veggies, fruits, meats, unroasted nuts and i eliminated all dressings, sauces and seasonings that arent homemade. I also have given up caffeine (except for what is in the occasional hersey's kiss). Surprisingly my skin has cleared up so much from cutting out the caffiene, and im no longer passing kidney stones.

Nutrition and fitness are fascinating to me, if only i could enjoy cardiovascular work outs more then i could finally whittle away this college weight.

My biggest problem used to be portion control, but my college roomate taught me some neat tricks:
-when you eat out at a resturant, ask that they bring you a to go box at the same time your food is delivered and then automatically put half of it aside for another meal.
-each serving should be no bigger than a credit card, and avoid eating meals that consist only of one dish like a pasta only meal... you will eat too much to compensate for not having side dishes.

Last edited:

icenut84

Final Flight
My mum mentioned an idea about thinking about the Atkins diet a while ago, and I talked her out of it. I don't know all the details of it, but I know that I've read about side-effects and possible health problems as a result of it. I think most diets, such as Atkins, are fads. They may work in the short term, but most people say that the weight returns very quickly, and it's not a diet you may want to stick with. It's not balanced.

I don't need to lose weight myself, but a while ago there was a feature on the UK TV show This Morning about diets. They made a good point about these diets, and how you should think more about eating healthily and a balanced diet (not cutting out a whole food group, like carbohydrates, which I believe are important for energy), not to mention getting extra exercise - e.g. walking somewhere instead of driving, getting off the bus a stop early and walking the rest of the way, taking an exercise class etc. There was also an interesting method of eating properly:

Eat when you're hungry - whether it's mealtime or a snack. IMO, you shouldn't feel guilty about eating things you like sometimes. As they say, a little of what you fancy does you good.) Listen to your body.
Chew your food slowly and enjoy it, don't just shovell it down.
When you feel full, stop. Don't think that you have to finish what's on your plate just because you've cooked it - if you're full, just finish the meal. (Eventually, you'll probably start giving yourself slightly smaller portions as a result of stopping when you're full rather than carrying on just to finish what's on your plate.) "Eat less, move more."

Apart from that, IMO it's just important to eat a healthy and balanced diet and to get exercise and work your body.