Buying skates online | Golden Skate

Buying skates online

eiriene

Rinkside
I'm looking for some advice about buying ice skates online. I don't need anything super-high-quality... I want to take my daughter skating for the first time, and I abhor rental skates.

I used to skate as a child--nothing very seriously, but I had progressed as far as a waltz jump. At 34, I doubt that I can do that anymore. =)

But if I'm going to invest any money into a pair of skates, I'd sort of like to be able to use them, if I decide to take more lessons as an adult.

So pretty much, I'm looking for where to buy skates, and advice about what brands/models might be good to consider? I have a history of ankle injuries, so support in a boot is really important to me.

sillyant

Rinkside
erm.... if I were you, I would rather pay double in a shop and make sure the boots are right for me than trying my luck online.

I got my first pair of skates from my family friend. It seems to fit just fine and it definitely hold edges way better than the rentals, but as I progressed, my feet started to hurt really bad to the point that I had a limp. I talked to my classmates at group lessons. I talked to the coach. I even went to my doctor and get some anti-inflammatories for my feet. Nothing worked until I decided to buy a new pair of boots from a proper boot fitter. That fixed the pain.

I would never risk getting them anywhere else unless I know exactly the size and model I wanted online...

Loops

Rinkside
erm.... if I were you, I would rather pay double in a shop and make sure the boots are right for me than trying my luck online.

I got my first pair of skates from my family friend. It seems to fit just fine and it definitely hold edges way better than the rentals, but as I progressed, my feet started to hurt really bad to the point that I had a limp. I talked to my classmates at group lessons. I talked to the coach. I even went to my doctor and get some anti-inflammatories for my feet. Nothing worked until I decided to buy a new pair of boots from a proper boot fitter. That fixed the pain.

I would never risk getting them anywhere else unless I know exactly the size and model I wanted online...

Yeah.....I agree with this. Even if you're not doing much more than public sessions it really is worth having skates that fit correctly. You may also find yourself registering for lessons again, before you know it. Where I live, there are no skate shops, and most of the women I skate with do get theirs online. BUT they are pretty much all in boots that are too big, and it definitely hinders their progression (most are about the level you were at when you quit). At my rink though, we do have a "library" of skates that members can borrow. They're all low end Jackson/Edea/Wifa, so these ladies did at least have the chance to try. It's just that no one here knows how to fit skates properly. When I needed new skates, I spent the weekend in Paris (5 hour train ride away) to get them. If it is at all possible, I would go to a proper skate shop. They can also sharpen them for you (you probably don't want the rink techs handling that.....) and do all the minor tech work.

Having said all of that, I do understand reality. If there isn't a proper skate shop near you it may be unrealistic to drive hours and hours. And with the entry level skates that you presumably would be looking at, there is more forgiveness in fit. I would get on the horn with Kinzie's closet or Rainbo sports. They both seem to do a lot online, and at least Kinzie's is very responsive. I presume Rainbo is too, but I've never worked with them personally. They may have some tips and tricks to get you into something that is at least a good start. If they can work from a foot tracing that is at least better than guessing blindly. Entry level boots are also easier for any cobbler to stretch (the heat molding technology in mid and high end boots renders that near impossible IME). Yet another advantage is that they're (relatively speaking in terms of skate prices) inexpensive, so if you find yourself quickly moving beyond them your losses are easier to swallow.

Good luck with this! And hopefully the skating bug will bite you just enough to get you going again ;) You might be surprised at how much you CAN remember!!!

Last edited:

eiriene

Rinkside
Thanks for the advice! There is a skate shop near me, although it seems to mostly do hockey skates. But I feel like it might be worth the drive, since they said they had boots to try on. I was just sort of hoping there might be a Zappos of ice skates out there. Surely, someone wants to run that business, right? =)

And trust me, I'd love to take lessons myself again, but it's just a question of finding the money and spare time for it. =) (I do still remember quite a bit.)

loopy

Final Flight
It's a basic skate but very comfortable, my gf in her 40s got them and spends a couple hours a week in them. Her goal is to have fun with her kids. They are rec skates and super comfortable. I'd buy them online without being concerned - you could always send them back - http://www.amazon.com/Jackson-Ultim...wpoints=0&filterByStar=four_star&pageNumber=1 She has been using them for the past 5 years! These are not skates you'll be competing in, but for fun, they do the job.