Is a fitting neccessary? | Golden Skate

Is a fitting neccessary?

iceer

Spectator
Hi all.
I'm a beginner skater from a country where figure skating isn't very developed. We only have a few ice rinks, and skate shops are basically nonexistent. Almost everyone orders skates online. I'm thinking about buying new skates soon, as the ones I currently have aren't very supportive, and I tend to over-tighten them. I've already started doing waltz jumps and will probably start attempting Salchows soon as well.
It's not possible for me to get fitted in my country, let alone my city. I'm not really sure what I should do - order skates online or work something out and somehow get fitted elsewhere. Maybe when I go on vacation. Is it really crucial to get fitted, or will I do fine without it? I appreciate any advice.

Vladik

On the Ice
Hi all.
I'm a beginner skater from a country where figure skating isn't very developed. We only have a few ice rinks, and skate shops are basically nonexistent. Almost everyone orders skates online. I'm thinking about buying new skates soon, as the ones I currently have aren't very supportive, and I tend to over-tighten them. I've already started doing waltz jumps and will probably start attempting Salchows soon as well.
It's not possible for me to get fitted in my country, let alone my city. I'm not really sure what I should do - order skates online or work something out and somehow get fitted elsewhere. Maybe when I go on vacation. Is it really crucial to get fitted, or will I do fine without it? I appreciate any advice.
It’s definitely best to get fitted. You don’t want to be going on a whim for these kinds of things.
Sure, you can heavily research skates, and sort of get a rough idea of what might fit your foot or work well for you, but you really can’t be sure until you try.

Alternatively, places like Everglides do online fitting appointments, this might appeal to you.

What country are you from? @Ic3Rabbit knows fitters from all-around. If skate shops really are as non-existent as you say, I’d ask if you have any vacations conveniently coming up, and could perhaps get fitted whilst you’re abroad.

High Carbon

Skate technician
Rinkside
Country
United-States
Oh yes, if you can manage it absolutely see a fitter! There are a decent amount of uncertainties with skates, especially if you gamble getting them on line. Not to say it can't work but it's best to have someone that knows what they're doing when it comes to skates. Usually skates you can get online either don't come sharpened or come with a very poor factory sharpening so even if you get your skates online it's wisest to find a technician that can take care of your equipment. Definitely do some research to find a skate tech close to anywhere you'd like to visit. Best of luck!

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Short Answer: YES!
Long answer: YES!!!!!!

Fittings are very important and help ensure that you’re getting the right skates for your feet. A properly fitting skate is essential, not only for reducing the risk of injury, but also to help you progress.

If you are willing to tell us what country you‘re in, we can help you find a fitter and if there really is no fitter, then perhaps you could try a virtual fitting. It’s not ideal, but better than nothing.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Even with fitting sometimes you must go back for changes, minor modifications, a punch, more heat mold etc because your feet standing/sitting at the fitter's office behave/feel different than your feet skating in the rink and working on your elements and not all fitters work inside a rink. I can't imagine buying this kind of footwear that requires a level of precision to be efficient over the internet without trying it on.
If it were me, I would definitely combine the vacation trip (hopefully soon, if your current skates are not supporting you and you need new ones) with a location where a figure skating fitter exists.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all.
Yes, it's absolutely necessary to be fit by a pro who knows and properly fits figure skates and also knows the blades as well.

If you let us know where you are, and where you could be going on vacation we could suggest proper fitters in that area.

Good luck!

iceer

Spectator
Thanks for the advice! I'll get fitted professionally next time I go on vacation.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for the advice! I'll get fitted professionally next time I go on vacation.
Let us know area you are going to so we can suggest a real pro fitter to assure you will get the fitting/equipment that you need.

lyssx

Rinkside
You've already gotten your answer but just to really drive it home..

Hi. I made the mistake of buying skates online (was fitted a long time ago for roller boots, so just went with the same brand/size). I thought I did my research, but I was hasty about it because fitting appointments around me were booked for weeks and I needed to get out of the amazon rec skates before I broke an ankle. Really convinced myself I knew what I was doing, and that because I had been dealing with artistic roller skates for so long it'd all be fine. Bought a skate package online, with mounting & sharpening service extra so I wouldn't have to "deal with the hassle" of a skate shop.

Turns out I needed a different brand/boot. In a different size (was used to roller skating a 5mm size up for comfort). And could not even reuse the blades I bought because the boot size down was the next size blade down too. Oh, and they didn't actually sharpen the blades despite the fact that I paid extra for it (they did give me my money back for that at least). Wasted about $500 in total. Have not managed to resell them yet.

Anyway. Please don't be like me. I have a skate shop I love now because of this experience and I am a loyal customer to them, but it was very embarrassing going to them after making a costly mistake. They'll also mount your blades correctly for YOU to make sure you are centered on them.