Canon interviews Boyang Jin | Golden Skate

Canon interviews Boyang Jin

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It is in Japanese but it is very interesting. I'm Translating bits of it, but you can use Google for the rest.
http://web.canon.jp/event/skating/interview/int_boyang01_1.html

As always, please tell me if I have made an error, I was going pretty fast for this translation.

C: Your 4Lz is wonderful! You've had an explosive debut, but please tell us a bit about your signature 4lz.
B: The 4lz is my favorite jump. It was 2013 when I first landed it and I was 17 years old.
At that time I wasn't thinking about putting it in my program. I just wanted to train the 4Lz.

C: When did you land it successfully in competition?
B: my first success was in a national competition last season. (中華人民共和国全国冬季運動会予選)
After that I succeeded in landing it at COC and NHK. One in the short and the free. I don't feel that the 4lz is very difficult.

C: What about the 4Lo and the 4F?
B: Not yet. First I am trying to stabilize the 3 quads in my current programs. Once they are reliable, I think I will train the others.

C:How did you become so good at jumps and how did you level-up?
B:When I started skating I was not good at jumping. I skated normally, as a hobby. 3 years after I decided to really be an athlete, when I was 11 years old I suddenly became able to jump. from 12-13,(2009-2010 season) I got the 5 triples, at 13-14 (2010-2011 season) I landed the triple axel. Then the 4T at 14, the 4S at 15.

C: Is there a skater you emulate or use as reference for your quad jumps?
B: No, I jump with using my own 'feelings'. I don't feel like I want to be like someone for the jumps. I just want to succeed in every jump I can. That is what I think of in training.

C:Is there a secret to the height of your jumps?
B:Of course there must be physical talent to some degree but for me the most important thing about jumps is the mind set. It's important to have a challenging mindset of "Let's Jump!" without feeling scared. I have almost never felt fear of jumping and as I continued to challenge, I succeeded more and higher.

C: Hanyu said he wanted to study your 4Lz.
B: I'm honored to be complimented by Hanyu. It encouraged me.

C: at the NHK FP, your jump success was higher than at COC, what was the difference?
B: it was self possession. I tried my best in the SP to keep my self calm and I was able to score 95 points. I want to continue to place importance on being calm in the future. But in the free I had many little misses. I was able to bring together most of my elements but there are weaknesses. I want to train more and deliver a better free.
I wasn't thinking "I'm going to win" at all. this is my first Senior GP series so I just wanted to do what I could do. I was so surprised that I scored 95. Going forward, I must not forget to be self-possessed. I think, for the technical side, mindset is so important.

C: At NHK you were able to see the Top Senior men training, how was that for you? Did you see Hanyu's practice as well?
B: Since during the Short Prorgam Practice we were in different groups I was able to to see Hanyu and the second group after I had finished my practice. Since this is my first Senior GP series the second group is the top group and there was so much to learn. Not just Hanyu but all the veterans had stability and were just so good. They made me see that I must try many things outside jumping. I have always admired Hanyu and that hasn't changed.

C:How is your Everyday and School Life?
B: I train all day. I have only Sundays off, but I don't go out to play much. I usually rest. I'm going to a Sports College in Harbin so I mainly train and study.

C: What hobbies do you have? What do you do outside training?
B: I do all kinds of activities. I love remote control things like planes and ships. I'd like to be an expert in operation technology and am polishing my skills.
-And I collect earphones. I started collecting them in 2009. Hanyu also collects earphones doesn't he? I've collected an uncountable number...but I use 8 or 9 pairs. I like house and techno music...I'm always listening to upbeat music.

C: Hanyu has broken 320 points. Do you think you can reach that number?
B: Seeing Hanyu's program, I think if I work harder and improve my presentation and jumps and quality I think I can reach 300. But I can't see the possibility of 320 yet. I think I can realistically aim for 300.

C: What are your training goals?
B: I think it will take a long time, but I'd like to improve my PCS in the future. But since this is my first senior season, for now, landing my 4lz successfully and gaining confidence in my jumps will lead to my development.

C: How will you polish your presentation?
B: I take ballet and jazz once or twice a week. For the artistic side it is important to express and skate with feeling.

C:You've had a great start in your Senior Debut, have your goals changed?
B: First in December I will aim for the podium. Then I want to stand on the podium at the Olympics. I want to be on the podium for both the Pyeongchang and the Beijing Olympics.

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
C: What hobbies do you have? What do you do outside training?
B: I do all kinds of activities. I love remote control things like planes and ships. I'd like to be an expert in operation technology and am polishing my skills.
-And I collect earphones. I started collecting them in 2009. Hanyu also collects earphones doesn't he? I've collected an uncountable number...but I use 8 or 9 pairs. I like house and techno music...I'm always listening to upbeat music. [/B]

:laugh::laugh2: you know magicaleggplant has "why Shoma is Dai's spiritual son?" series and "if Shoma is Dai's spiritual son , Satoko is Akiko's spiritual daughter", we can add "Boyang is Yuzuru's spiritual brother" :yahoo: (since age difference isnt that much :biggrin:)

thanks for translating Specs!!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thankyou so much, Specs! What a delightful young man!

(I am a little confused, though. How does one collect headphones? Are there like collectors' editions? Or souvenir headphones? Or the type you get handed on planes? Genuinely curious. I have probably three or four pairs, but only two of them work!)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thankyou so much, Specs! What a delightful young man!

(I am a little confused, though. How does one collect headphones? Are there like collectors' editions? Or souvenir headphones? Or the type you get handed on planes? Genuinely curious. I have probably three or four pairs, but only two of them work!)

There are some extremely high-end ear-phones out there for collectors and people who are particular about how their music sounds, audiophiles or sound technicians mostly. Yuzu, Boyang and Mura all love to collect and buy earphones because all three like music and you need special earphones to use while training. Some of Yuzu and Mura's earphones cost up to 2,000 Dollars.

yude

Record Breaker
Thank you for your translation, Interspectator!!

I wonder if Yuzuru knows Boyang is also collecting earphones, if so, he might not stop talking about it with him :laugh:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Thanks for the translation - very interesting! I liked what he said about success in jumping = approach jump with no fear. And he seems very self aware and interested in growing, one step at a time.

If I read this correctly he didn't even start skating until he was 8? Pretty amazing.

bara1968

On the Ice
It is wonderful to read this interview. Thank you very much for the translation!

I am already super excited to see this young 4Lz-boy growing into a young man with more maturity in few years =) I am becoming a fan!

Layback11

Record Breaker
Thanks for the interview! Boyang sounds like a great kid & I genuinely hope he medals at the GPF (although I kind of want, like, the entire field to medal so...heh.).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Great interview, and a lovely translation. It will be such fun to see this nice young man develop and compete over the coming seasons!

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Relieved that he wants to improve his PCS! With a jumping skill like his, he could be completely invested in his tech content. But he's working on his artistry, which is awesome! He absolutely has the potential to score big if he can jump like he does while displaying superior skating skills/presentation/choreography etc! The possibilities are sky-high with Boyang!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Thank you for the translation. I like him more & more all the time. :) I really want him to medal at the GPF, although it might be a long shot.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
What a smart young man he is. I think it's admirable that he is already looking towards the future and not only wants to medal in S.K but in his homeland China. And I know he can do it.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
What a smart young man he is. I think it's admirable that he is already looking towards the future and not only wants to medal in S.K but in his homeland China. And I know he can do it.

I'm sure his old friends Shoma and Sota will have something to say about it in 2022. I wonder if they all will be on the podium. But where will Nam, Nathan, and Adian fit? And then there's Petrov. So many. :laugh:

lbc2138

On the Ice
He seems like a sweet kid. I always thought his skating was a little awkward and I guess we now all know why. I hope he gets some training from other coaches and maybe even get like a back to basics skating skills 101

tung

Rinkside
what is S.K? South Korea?

Did somebody notice and point out his stature and body type? How tall and how much he weighs?
He looks like a small teenager to me. Unusual for a true northern Chinese. Nowadays, they all eat hamburgers and fatty food, cola and junk stuff, and got fat and heavy as a consequence.

He must weigh less than Patrick Chan, shorter than Hanyu (therefore lighter), but equally lithesome and pliable.

lxi8szh

Spectator
He is around 168-170 cm, but no idea about how much weighs. Definitely he is very slim..even watching through kamera.
Its coming from the comparison with Yuzuru. He is 171 cm in profile, but I suppose he is taller now, like 173.

His body type isnt the typical one in north China, somehow more likes south China.
Generally northern Chinese is "huger" than southern, high calorie foods may do some impact, but location differences do much more.
Those men skaters, expect pairs, they r coming from northern China, but "tiny" than normals.

If looking at the stature, Boyang and Yuzuru r closed.
They have small skeleton and r extreme slim..
Same as Han Yan and Patrick, get another kinds of stature.

yuzushenko

On the Ice
very good interview with good questions and responses! (no 'skater' answers here!) i feel like i learned a lot about him

i enjoyed learning more about boyang, i hope to read more interviews of his. he seems like an fun interesting person

Interspectator

Record Breaker
very good interview with good questions and responses! (no 'skater' answers here!) i feel like i learned a lot about him

i enjoyed learning more about boyang, i hope to read more interviews of his. he seems like an fun interesting person

Yes, he has a straight-forward way of answering questions and is quite definite about his goals and what he wants his skating to be in the future. He tied with Patrick Chan at the GPF! There's something you can boast about...:biggrin:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Boyang is cute, I am starting to warm up to him as a person. As a skater, his 4lz is amazing, he is the lutz king, for sure. But the rest he has not developed well yet. I think he will improve though.