Hanyu, Emotions at GPF: Interview | Golden Skate

Hanyu, Emotions at GPF: Interview

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Taken from this TV clip: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3i2skb_151214-yuzurux修造-対談-gpf_sport
Hanyu talks with Matsuoka about the challenges and feelings of competing at the GPF.
Talk starts from 3:00 minutes into the video. I like his interviews with Matsuoka because they seem to understand each other and are/were both super competitive athletes. I’m just translating parts that stood out. Please add your translations or correct me if I’ve gotten it wrong.
Y: I think this time this was the biggest wall ever. (as in challenge, he describes his challenges as walls)
But this kind of wall does not appear unless it is in sequence.
This wall appears only because of the good performance and good score of the previous competition. So if I hadn’t done a good performance here then I’d have to do another good performance and another good performance after that. And if you think of the time till Pyeongchan and how many competitions are left, there isn’t much time.
….They talk about the next world or dimension that Yuzu has reached and whether it’s a reality or not.
About the tears in the Kiss and Cry:
Y: I didn’t know at first why I was crying. Brian said “good for you”, but I was already crying before the scores came up. As I was looking at Pooh, I was like “whaaaa…(crying sound)” LOL
M: Pooh had something to do with it!
Y: Um…he’s a comrade who has fought with me this whole time.
M: Well, I understand that you like Pooh the most but…(puzzled Matsuoka)
Y: I think the real me came out. If I think about it calmly, Brian said “Good for you” and I said “Why am I crying?” He was like, “You did well (worked hard)” In the end, when I thought about it, I realized I had been scared. I think I had been very scared. I didn’t notice how scared I had been until the very end.
M: I think “fright” is a very mysterious word. For example there is the fear of “I have to win at the Olympics” That fear I can understand partially, but the fear of a World Record no one knows about that (but you).
Y: for example, Michelle Kwan was called “Miss Perfect”. She won at World Championships but could not win at the Olympics. I think there must have been pressure due to that title of Miss Perfect that had to do with missing the Olympics (gold medal). I think I may have just had a taste of that kind of pressure.
On top of that just before me, Fernandez, Patrick and Shoma, did great performances and I could hear it. In this stadium and in this surrounding, I could hear everything. And I saw the scores on the board. 290. I must have thought, “he passed 200, that’s scary!”
(explanation of all the performances before Yuzu’s and video clips)
When I go into the rink I do two jumps. (before his name is called) And for the first time, I missed the triple loop. I thought, Oh NO! Then the cheers for “Javi, Javi!” started. And I thought SH-T! Watch this! So I dashed around and did a 3A as hard as I could. Like,“It’s ME!” “I’M going to skate now!”
M: So you turned it into strength.

Clip of the missed 3lo (but they don’t show his 3A) and the Javi Call.
Narrator: In this way Yuzu bettered his World record score only 9 points off the highest score possible…(etc.)
M: Have you ever thought of the perfect score?
Y: Oda was talking about it wasn’t he?
M: Have you ever calculated the highest score?
Y: I’ve never thought about it!
M: For me this was the perfect performance, all areas perfect, and perfect score! What do you think?
Y: (whispers) I couldn’t get the step (levels)…
Everyone laughs

Last edited:

Eloyse

On the Ice
This interview scares me. I hope he makes some mistake at nationals so that he will be freed from ppl's unrealistic expectations.:hopelessness:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
This interview scares me. I hope he makes some mistake at nationals so that he will be freed from ppl's unrealistic expectations.:hopelessness:

It's a bit scary but mostly I thought the interview was quite funny. Matsuoka's reaction to Pooh, Yuzu wanting to take the spotlight from Javi. :biggrin:

AprilS

On the Ice
When I go into the rink I do two jumps. (before his name is called) And for the first time, I missed the triple loop. I thought, Oh NO! Then the cheers for “Javi, Javi!” started. And I thought SH-T! Watch this! So I dashed around and did a 3A as hard as I could. Like,“It’s ME!” “I’M going to skate now!”

OMG reading this after reading Li'Kitsu's report from the On Site Report Thread is like :eeking: It all makes sense now! :laugh:

Maybe the best example for what sets him apart is the "PrimaDonna Axel" - was that broadcasted in any streams? After Javi skated his LP, the crowd went nuts. NUTS. His score was huge, people shouted "Javi! Javi!" and stomped heir feet on the ground. It was close to scary, and I was terrified for Yuzu, who was already on the ice. But then Yuzu went circling around the ice and came back doing a 3A, probably the biggest 3A I ever saw. And he had a stare when he landed, that gave me a shiver. It said "You will shut up, you will watch me now and I will deliver!". And that was the moment I thought "OMG, he'll skate clean again!" (not that that didn't keep me from being nervous and shaky and fearing I might faint :laugh: ). And then he just went out and did it.

But gosh, I hope he's overcome the wall of pressure he's put on himself... :slink:

Also, this interview is just chock full of fun! The part where he's still begrudging his step levels is hilarious! :laugh:

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
OMG reading this after reading Li'Kitsu's report from the On Site Report Thread is like :eeking: It all makes sense now! :laugh:

But gosh, I hope he's overcome the wall of pressure he's put on himself... :slink:

Also, this interview is just chock full of fun! The part where he's still begrudging his step levels is hilarious! :laugh:

L'kitsu understood Yuzu perfectly. :laugh2:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
My lord, Hanyu is SCARILY competitive. He might be the most competitive figure skater ever. Imagine what he would achieve if he hadn't chosen figure skating.

SuzushinaYuriko

Rinkside
My lord, Hanyu is SCARILY competitive. He might be the most competitive figure skater ever. Imagine what he would achieve if he hadn't chosen figure skating.

He mentioned somewhere that he would have been a baseball player if he didn't become a figure skater. I think we're all glad he chose the latter?

jaq

Rinkside
Y: I think the real me came out. If I think about it calmly, Brian said “Good for you” and I said “Why am I crying?” He was like, “You did well (worked hard)” In the end, when I thought about it, I realized I had been scared. I think I had been very scared. I didn’t notice how scared I had been until the very end.
Y: for example, Michelle Kwan was called “Miss Perfect”. She won at World Championships but could not win at the Olympics. I think there must have been pressure due to that title of Miss Perfect that had to do with missing the Olympics (gold medal). I think I may have just had a taste of that kind of pressure.​
It's crazy how hard that quote is hitting me.

That's the problem, isn't it? How can you expect perfection from one person? It's crazy and yet it's what people, even despite themselves, expect (especially after GPF). People were expecting to be disappointed in GPF and that's never what you want. Yet, how can you hit perfect performances every time?

I want to see this 3A!!! Has there really been no footage? : (((

Also did he say Pooh-san? lol Is that common in Japanese honorifics?

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I was thinking he could be Prime Minister or some tech entrepreneur.

:laugh2: Who knows, maybe career path #2? He's really serious about his education as well...I wonder how his grades are holding up now. Can't imagine that he's still an A+ student with the limited time he has. :unsure:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Thank you for your work with the translation, love how honest he is. He really enjoys having all eyes on him, yet he is a selfish performer who gets so much into the skate that will forget about the score.

withwings

On the Ice
If I would be in his place, I would have felt sad for Javier not to win in his homeland and, if I would win, I would unhappy that I won...

Interspectator

Record Breaker
If I would be in his place, I would have felt sad for Javier not to win in his homeland and, if I would win, I would unhappy that I won...

When Javi won the Worlds he was very happy, and Yuzu said he was happy for him and they hugged it out.
It's the same this time. Yuzu won, and Javi did very well, they are happy for each other. And Javi will try to win next time...so will Yuzu. -So will all the guys, otherwise it wouldn't be a sport.

Danibellerika

Medalist
I cannot believe Pooh-san is really a thing. Even the reporter acknowledges him as Pooh-san. Inspector-san, ありがとうございました! I need to practice my Japanese more so I enjoy watching these videos to pick up some things, lol. I didn't know Yuzu had such a potty mouth :p.

:laugh2: Who knows, maybe career path #2? He's really serious about his education as well...I wonder how his grades are holding up now. Can't imagine that he's still an A+ student with the limited time he has. :unsure:

I'll be he still maintains his grades. Many skaters find a way. He's probably a millionaire a few times over by now (hopefully that's a conservative guess since he's practically a household name), and he never has to work a real job in his life. I admire the commitment to getting an education. I'm an MBA student myself and just took my final tonight. All the Yuzu excitement has been making it hard to concentrate but you find a way!

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker

And why would that be? Is not as if he won with an undeserved, mediocre performance (no one in the men's event had mediocre performances). He was the only skater to go really clean on both days, it was fair and square. Why would he be unhappy? Javi has beaten him before, at Worlds nonetheless. And he congratulated Javier after that happened. At the end of the day, they're still competitors, they both want to win, regardless of the circumstances. And they're both going to do their best to stand on top of the podium. I have no doubt Yuzuru was proud of Javier for scoring over 200, he wanted him to do his best. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy winning. And that doesn't mean Javier won't try to beat Yuzuru next time they compete (and that Yuzu will try to do the same thing).

Last edited:

Danibellerika

Medalist
Javier handily WON the silver. He didn't lose the gold and he wasn't even lucky to get the silver. It's just important he was pleased with his efforts here; he was and we were as fans.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I cannot believe Pooh-san is really a thing. Even the reporter acknowledges him as Pooh-san. Inspector-san, ありがとうございました! I need to practice my Japanese more so I enjoy watching these videos to pick up some things, lol. I didn't know Yuzu had such a potty mouth :p.

He only lets go with Matsuoka Shuzo. They have this kind of rapport. In most other interviews, except with Oda, he speaks in a restrained and correct way. But Shuzo is famous in Japan as a super passionate sports announcer and is a huge celebrity in his own right. He tries to encourage his interviewees to be passionate and forthright too. (some times almost too much.):biggrin:

Danibellerika

Medalist
He only lets go with Matsuoka Shuzo. They have this kind of rapport. In most other interviews, except with Oda, he speaks in a restrained and correct way. But Shuzo is famous in Japan as a super passionate sports announcer and is a huge celebrity in his own right. He tries to encourage his interviewees to be passionate and forthright too. (some times almost too much.):biggrin:

Honestly, I love it! It's sort of a raw side of him we rarely get to see. One minute he's too adorable for words telling PJ his favorite jumps, the next we're getting a glimpse of the true competitor inside of him. I'm seeing a little more of the man and a little less of the kid (though he'll have that babyface for a long time).

alia jackson

Record Breaker

This is a sport. As a sportsperson you aim to win every competition regardless where they are played.

Their achievements in getting gold/silver/bronze are fair and square. Everyone happy for everyone else for giving their best in each competition. Yuzu won in Spain. Javi won Worlds in China, Denis won 4CC in South Korea etc. etc.

Last edited: