Figure Skating Anime | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Anime

dori7k

Spectator
Sugarpova was talking about the Japanese Yuuri? He seems even less similar to Hanyu than the Russian Yuri. :think:

I think it's about look (hair, glasses, black training outfit) and skating. I'm curious how all of the characters will be portrayed in the anime and which real skaters we'll see in them- that might be the most interesting part [emoji1]

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
So this aired today and honestly, you have to see it on your own. The ice-skating, apart from the plot, is at 13:10 if that's all you want to check out. The next two episodes were already viewed by some in Japan and it focuses on Victor, Yuuri and Yuri and their skating. Loved the music for the FS, and the opening is so well done. We'll see how popular this is going to turn out to be.

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
So this aired today and honestly, you have to see it on your own. The ice-skating, apart from the plot, is at 13:10 if that's all you want to check out. The next two episodes were already viewed by some in Japan and it focuses on Victor, Yuuri and Yuri and their skating.

:laugh2: They did something I thought was impossible and went even more over the top with BL fanservice than in Free! Omg. (Naked Victor: Yuuri, today I'm your coach! Me: Coach in what?) I can't even :rofl2:

But the animation's good and it's hilarious at moments.

Well, Yuuri certainly wasn't based on Yuzu... Actually, it seems to mee that Victor is a amalgam of Plushenko and Yuzu and Boyang Jin: five time GPF winner, multiple worlds winner, and can jump 4Lz, 4F, 4S and 4T. The superskater, lol.

If someone prefers HQ, here are HD torrents.

Last edited:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
:laugh2: They did something I thought was impossible and wen even more over the top with BL fanservice than in Free! Omg. (Naked Victor: Yuuri, today I'm your coach! Me: Coach in what?) I can't even :rofl2:
But the animation's good and it's hilarious at moments.
Well, Yuuri certainly wasn't based on Yuzu... Actually, it seems to mee that Victor is a amalgam of Plushenko and Yuzu.

There's even more BL fanservice in episode 2 and 3. I am not sure how that's possible but apparently they managed :laugh: I just know I am going to adore Victor. He is definitely Plushenko with a bit of Yuzu thrown in.

Seriously though, the animation is really nice and the music wonderful. I do hope that they'll really go into the sport itself and getting Yuuri to the top, considering they made a lot of effort for the skating and choreography just to keep it at a comedy level. Oh mild spoilers
Yuuri, Yuri and Victor live together in ep 2 and 3 and probably onwards

Rissa

Record Breaker
^^^

Lol, I will have to see it, before I believe the more fanservice.

It's going to be a blast.

One of the aspects I loved was the social media shtstorm done by the kids, yep, rings true. Great names for the kids, by the way. Like, loool, mummy's a skating nut.

Last edited:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I think fangirls are going to combust, I've read the detailed spoilers but then I don't really mind at all. As long as it doesn't take over the plot, it's all good and it does seem like it's pretty on point with the skating. I'm actually very curious how they'll animate what's coming in regards to it, but considering that I loved how they handled Victor for his FS here, I think it should work.

One thing I am curious is will Victor walk into Yuuri's room considering it has about a gazzilion Victor's posters all over the walls :laugh: And yeah those girls were on point, names and all, but also chibi Yuuri was so cute!

Last edited:

inskate

On the Ice
Thanks for the link! I enjoyed the first episode a lot :)

Between the tendency to tear up, love for food, the habit to copy other skaters' choreo and the entire "a senior skater failing to meet his potential due to nerves but well liked by his local community anyway", the Japanese Yuri seems more like Nobunari than Yuzuru to me :) There were some scenes that really reminded me of old Odaddy fluffs, like: http://imgur.com/a/B6lPE -> This fluff video was about how Nobunari was depressed about missing the Oly 2006 team, but he got over it and enjoyed watching the performances. He was inspired by Plushy - "he's good at everything~:love:" :laugh: - and said he wanted to become a skater like that. Oh, and the scene when Yuri got back to his homeplace and freaked out seeing his posters reminded me of a fluuf where Nobunari said that he felt a bit shocked when he saw his photos in newspapers/etc. after getting back from Canada ("Nononono... This is NOT me!") :laugh:.
In contrast to Yuri, Nobu never had a dog (but he wanted to have a huge one - one of his life goals :) ), but already had a girlfriend (his current wife) at the time he won Jr Worlds :laugh:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Yuuri only looks like Yuzuru and worships a Russian superstar (Plushenko). The rest of his story is almost Tatsuki Machida's precise biography.

- he was 23 when he made it to his first Grand Prix Final - check (22 going on 23)
- that Grand Prix Final was at the Iceberg Skating Palace in Sochi - check
- he finished last there - check
- he had low self esteem - check
- he messed up at Nationals and didn't go to Worlds - check
- he was going to college at the same time - check

So in an incredible plot twist, this character is nothing like Yuzuru Hanyu and everything like Tatsuki Machida before he became a "star".

Last edited:

inskate

On the Ice
:laugh: at ioanna and me posting at the same time... Only Yuri reminded us of different skaters :laugh2:

ioanna

Record Breaker
:laugh: at ioanna and me posting at the same time... Only Yuri reminded us of different skaters :laugh2:

:laugh: it's hard not to see it, to me it's literally Machida before he got big. He was 23, he was finishing college, he was last at his first GPF (which was really held in Sochi) and he didn't know what to do with his skating career from then on.

ETA: I forgot to mention Yuuri's last name is Katsuki. I mean come oooon.

Last edited:

inskate

On the Ice
Their personality is not similar at all! :laugh: Tatsuki was always a divo :cool14: :luv17:
I remember that he really admired Daisuke... There was a funny accident back in 2007, when in his Skate Canada LP Daisuke messed up his 3L in a rather unusual way, and Tatsuki, who had a national competition shortly after, messed up his loop in an identical way... The Japanese fans were like "we know you love Daisuke, but please don't copy his mistakes :laugh:"...

Back on track, Yuri is probably a based on many skaters, just like Viktor seems a mix between Plushy and Yags XD

Rissa

Record Breaker
:laugh: it's hard not to see it, to me it's literally Machida before he got big. He was 23, he was finishing college, he was last at his first GPF (which was really held in Sochi) and he didn't know what to do with his skating career from then on.

ETA: I forgot to mention Yuuri's last name is Katsuki. I mean come oooon.

Lol, in the light of the anime, I thought it literally, he got "big" as in "fat" and I went all "but Machida never got fat! But yeah, there's lots of Machida in the main character career-wise, some Nobu goofiness character-wise.

But there seems to be one character lifted straight out from reality, the commentator Honda-san. Now, if the character turns out to have had a successful skating career behind him...

Fun!

Last edited:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Yuuri only looks like Yuzuru and worships a Russian superstar (Plushenko). The rest of his story is almost Tatsuki Machida's precise biography.

- he was 23 when he made it to his first Grand Prix Final - check (22 going on 23)
- that Grand Prix Final was at the Iceberg Skating Palace in Sochi - check
- he finished last there - check
- he had low self esteem - check
- he messed up at Nationals and didn't go to Worlds - check
- he was going to college at the same time - check

So in an incredible plot twist, this character is nothing like Yuzuru Hanyu and everything like Tatsuki Machida before he became a "star".

Another thing about him is that he trained in the US prior to that GPF and so did Yuuri, even if cities differ.

@Moria - I thought that about the commentator too, gave me a good laugh!

ioanna

Record Breaker
Their personality is not similar at all! :laugh: Tatsuki was always a divo :cool14: :luv17:

Haha he is a divo now but not then. He would spend his time moping and mumbling self-deprecating things, he drove poor coach Onishi mad.

eta

Medalist
I've always waited for an anime to finish its current season so I can get through the entire season in one go. Until now, that is. First episode subbed already, I just couldn't resist, so I gave in and watched it... twice in a row. The wait until next week is going to be unbearable.:palmf:

So so so glad that there is (so far) no one-to-one resemblance between a character and a real skater. Avoids some *cough* potential awkwardness.
As a long time 腐女子 the first thought that came to mind after seeing Victor was that he is a great 総攻め.

Animation is well done imo, though skating speed seems a bit slow? At least the ads around the rink are moving slowly.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Producing anime is SOSOSOSOSOSO expensive. It's also really difficult to do right.
SKating is fluid and the dimensions are hard to achieve so I really commend them for that.
That sequence where Yuri and Victor is skating actually goes for 4 minutes and thirty.

Also did anyone notice that hey copied Patrick Chan's spins
.The flying sit and the combination spin.

I really love the story too. I think we can relate to Yuri- seems so real.