Sota Yamamoto | Page 94 | Golden Skate

Sota Yamamoto

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Here are some articles about Sota's graduation (along with nice photos):
- Nikkan - he says he wants to make it to Milano OG, he's looking for new affiliation, and he'll be using the Chukyo rink as his main rink for the time being.
- Chunichi - features a nice big closeup of Sota with a prize presented by the university - a cup named after the Chukyo Uni founder that accomplished athletes get. :) Sota says he was able to grow in ways he didn't even expect during his six Chukyo years.
He reiterates he has picked 'stability' as his goal for main season. At the same time, he plans to introduce the 4F, which kind of negates that goal, so... I wish he'd pick the first over the second :drama: He also wants to score 300 points - a tall order, but doable, if he gets suitable programs and delivers them clean, but again, that 4F works against cleanness (and so does any injury suffered from practicing 4F extensively), so...
- Mainichi - he says it was hard to combine study and competitive skating, but he's glad he managed to graduate, and he enjoyed taking classes and breaks together with other students. Most of the article is paid, but the last visible headline says Sota doesn't like mornings :laugh:
- Sanspo - Sota says his breakthrough moment was GPF 2022, where he rediscovered how fun it is to compete at the top :)

- brief video of Sota's graduation ceremony, with him saying some of the things posted above:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Nice overview of the Kyoto Figure Skating Festival, including great 'Teeth' pics and a short interview with Sota: https://www.tvguide.or.jp/feature/feature-2792221/

DeepL translation:
Yamamoto, who won a long-sought bronze medal at the All-Japan Championships, performed this season's exhibition number "Teeth", which he performed coolly on the Kyoto Aqualina rink, which holds fond memories of his All-Japan Novice victory 12 years ago, to the delight of the audience. For an encore, he also performed the step sequence of this season's short 'Chameleon'. With dynamic steps, he decorated the last part of this season's performance.

In the press conference, he said: "There were some waves, but I think it was a season in which I was able to grow within myself. I am very happy to be on the podium at the All-Japan, which I had been disappointed with for a long time, and I was able to achieve the results in the competitions I had set my sights on. In addition, "I'm going to practice quadruple flip well in the off-season, with the intention to include it in my composition (next season). I plan to change my choreography for both the short and free skate, and I am currently in the process of deciding on a choreographer. I'm looking forward to the next season, where I will be able to show my new self. I hope that I will be able to take the right steps towards the Olympics in two years' time (Milan Cortina d'Ampezzo Olympics).

surimi

Record Breaker
One more set of graduation photos from Sota's own Twitter:

Also, this tweet has a handful of cute Sota graduation photos: https://twitter.com/japaneseperson/status/1770289731143868748
Too bad I can't media-link it as my post already has two links that display images!

And earlier this month, Sota got interviewed by his old rink mate, Rika Hongo. I don't think the interview has come out yet, but I'd love to read it:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Press release re: the upcoming Kyoto Figure Skating Festival broadcast:

The Kyoto Figure Skating Festival 2024 took place on Saturday 9 March at the Kyoto Aquarena. GAORA SPORTS will broadcast this event on 31 Mar (Sun) at 8pm. A total of more than 30 skaters, including Kazuki Tomono, who competes on the world stage, as well as Novice and Junior Japanese champions based in Kyoto, will perform and dance magnificently on the ice.
Also appearing as a guest is Sota Yamamoto, winner of the 2023 Skate Canada Grand Prix Series and third in the All-Japan Championships. Yamamoto was invited by Tomono to participate in this year's event. Yamamoto said: 'Kazuki invited me and I'm looking forward to competing with him. I hope I can make the event even more exciting".

The programme will also take you behind the scenes with Tomono and Yamamoto and the other contestants. They also talk about their thoughts on the event and the numbers. There will also be a finale choreographed by Tomono on the day of the event, and the programme will include all the rehearsal footage.

Sota's quote: I hope you enjoy the ice show exhibition number 'Teeth', which I think will be the last performance of the season.

surimi

Record Breaker
I hope Sota keeps Teeth next season :pray:

An article I stumbled upon yesterday - not many actual quotes from Sota, but many pretty photos from last year's and this year's competitions, including several not so well-known backstage pics: https://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/874392
In the first part, it's clear the SP was very hard for Sota to skate to and express, which also explains his scores that were lower than in the past seasons, even when he skated clean. I do think he should pick something closer to him if he wants to aim for consistency and hard layouts next season. Hard layouts + pressure to skate clean + unsuitable music is a 💀 combo...

From the article:

There was a big encounter this season. David Wilson choreographed for two-time Olympic gold medalist Yuzuru Hanyu. When he asked him to create a short program (SP), he was suggested an unexpected piece of music. ``Chameleon'' is a famous jazz song that begins with the light tone of a trumpet.
Yamamoto has always been good at creating grand music like this season's free program "Exogenesis Symphony No. 3." At first, she said, ``I couldn't imagine myself dancing'' to the new SP, which cuts the sounds into small pieces and includes a lot of footwork that I've never seen before. However, it was fun to perform new expressions such as combing his hair and smiling nihilistically.

At the second round of the GP series in Canada last October, which he competed as ``New Sota'', he won for the first time with a convincing performance in both the SP and free skate. However, in the fourth round of the Cup of China in November of the same year, they finished in 6th place. He says that he has had ``some days where I felt like giving up'' due to the wave of his condition.

What he struggled with was figuring out how to put his feelings into the new performance. SP's up-tempo songs were difficult for Yamamoto, who said, ``I'm usually a little less excited.'' There was a time when he thought ``Maybe I should go back to last season's SP'' because he needed to develop a role instead of being his true self.
As he went through many conflicts, he came to the conclusion that ``I like expressing myself on the ice.'' He feels that the feelings that exude from within are being conveyed to the audience. What should we do to convey it more clearly? “I hope it adds extra benefits, such as not only moving dynamically but also being conscious of positional accuracy.”

The All Japan Championship at the end of last year was held with many efforts. His light skating in time with the rhythm earned him a career-high 3rd place. At the Four Continents Championship in February of this year, SP scored over 90 points for the first time in an international match this season. ``At the very end, I was finally able to make it my own,'' he says with a laugh.

"I can finally say I can aim for the Olympics." A serious injury during his junior days temporarily took him away from competition, but his eyes were set on the Milan-Cortina d'Ampezzo Olympics in two years' time. To aim for a medal, you need to score over 300 points in SP and free. For this reason, in addition to adding quadruple flips next season, he is also enthusiastic about ``improving his ability to express himself.'' He will aim for the national team position with "determination and passion."

surimi

Record Breaker
Today was Sota's Unlim talkshow day! 🥂
Here are some photos from it:

According to online posts, he spoke about his post-uni life, his graduation, and there was also talk about a new SP and gala he has for next year, though it's not publicly known yet what they are, and by whom. Apparently, one of the choreographers is special or a big name? No info on a new FS yet. Since he's already skated Exogenesis to perfection, I hope he gets a new FS. But he may be thinking a trusty old FS can bring him stability in his 4F integration attempts, who knows.
And I'm very sad to see Teeth go. I loved that program! 💔

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
And I'm very sad to see Teeth go. I loved that program! 💔

Me too. :( But who knows, maybe his next exhibition will be just as great or even better. :)

I'm very curious who the "mystery" choreographer is!

Press release re: the upcoming Kyoto Figure Skating Festival broadcast:

The Kyoto Figure Skating Festival 2024 took place on Saturday 9 March at the Kyoto Aquarena. GAORA SPORTS will broadcast this event on 31 Mar (Sun) at 8pm. A total of more than 30 skaters, including Kazuki Tomono, who competes on the world stage, as well as Novice and Junior Japanese champions based in Kyoto, will perform and dance magnificently on the ice.
Also appearing as a guest is Sota Yamamoto, winner of the 2023 Skate Canada Grand Prix Series and third in the All-Japan Championships. Yamamoto was invited by Tomono to participate in this year's event. Yamamoto said: 'Kazuki invited me and I'm looking forward to competing with him. I hope I can make the event even more exciting".

The programme will also take you behind the scenes with Tomono and Yamamoto and the other contestants. They also talk about their thoughts on the event and the numbers. There will also be a finale choreographed by Tomono on the day of the event, and the programme will include all the rehearsal footage.

Sota's quote: I hope you enjoy the ice show exhibition number 'Teeth', which I think will be the last performance of the season.

I uploaded Sota's "Teeth" performance and interview from yesterday's broadcast:

And here's the finale:

surimi

Record Breaker
No news on Sota recently, other than the DOI new show assignment that @KiraraChin has kindly shared :) I stumbled upon this fresh article today - https://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/881883 - but the entire interview is blocked and available for members only. The only visible part that might be Sota's reported words, just said his new challenges broadened his horizons, and he felt he's gained confidence and consistency.

I don't feel sure about sharing Sota's new programs yet because his Unlim is for members also, so I'll just say he's picked two known choreographers, and one of them really famous. The good news is that he's likely to show off his new programs in ice shows soon :] I'm not as doom&gloom about the new SP as I was with Chameleon, but I'm not jubilant yet, either, because I don't know that music and will need to hear it first. I really really hope it isn't too dreamy and soft for him.
And yet... I've just checked out Twitter after about two weeks of absence, and found myself logged out, which displayed Sota's posts in a messy order. 2014 posts among ones from 2023 and such... And seeing Sota's old, pre-injury 2014/15 posts made me feel nostalgic and glad that he's sticking around, and that he's skating at all, no matter what he's skating to. I hope I get to see him yet.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Spotted this on my TL!

Kosugi Skate Yokohama today!
Sota came to see me for the first time in a while!
Usually, he only sends the shoes, so it's been a long time since I've seen him in person (lol).
We had a lot of fun talking about All-Japan, ice shows, Hanyu and so on!
Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you're doing well!
I'll continue to support you as much as I can.

surimi

Record Breaker
So.... Sota is in the U.S. 🇺🇸
I assume for choreography? 👀

Yes, for choreo, this fan tweet says 'good luck with the choreography' :)

And shortly after he returns to Japan, Sota has the PIW ice show scheduled. Good luck to Sota with both!

lol, I was away from Twitter for so long that it consistently started translating Sota's name as Kusata again... I need to do better (and not be lazy about resetting my password when I forget it)

Also, here's Rika Hongo's tweet about an interview she's recently done with Sota (autotranslated):
'The SpoLOVE interview article is also available online! It was impressive to see him never limit himself, instead continuing to take on new challenges and aiming higher. I'm really looking forward to seeing his further evolution next season. I'm cheering for him with all my might!!'

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Yes, for choreo, this fan tweet says 'good luck with the choreography' :)

And shortly after he returns to Japan, Sota has the PIW ice show scheduled. Good luck to Sota with both!

lol, I was away from Twitter for so long that it consistently started translating Sota's name as Kusata again... I need to do better (and not be lazy about resetting my password when I forget it)

Also, here's Rika Hongo's tweet about an interview she's recently done with Sota (autotranslated):
'The SpoLOVE interview article is also available online! It was impressive to see him never limit himself, instead continuing to take on new challenges and aiming higher. I'm really looking forward to seeing his further evolution next season. I'm cheering for him with all my might!!'

Do you think he may skate to his new choreography at Prince Ice World?

surimi

Record Breaker
Do you think he may skate to his new choreography at Prince Ice World?

I could be mistaken, but I doubt PIW is going to be the one to debut a new program. Its dates are April 27-29 for Sota, which is just a week or so from now, plus there's the trip back from the US, which is an additional 1-2 days off when he cannot practice... If he's learning the basic choreo now, I have no idea if he could polish up the program enough to present it at PIW. But we'll see what he comes up with!

Speaking of Sota's stay in the US, he announced a new InstaStory that's coming up in just a few hours:

I wonder what it will show!

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thought people would like to see the FAoI merch, Sota is on both sets of little actilic standup figures and both posters, since he will be in both the A and B tours.
Ohhh I didn't know he will be in the B tour as well! Thank you for sharing!

Meanwhile, we have a programme announcement :yahoo:

For me, Benoit is hit and miss depending on the skater, but NGL this looks very nice :love2:
I'm intrigued and curious to see the whole programme!

Sota announced it on an Instagram Live today, his first IG live ever! Several skaters attended or intended to attend (looking at you, Kazuki :sleep:), which shows how much So-chan is loved by his peers ☺️

Last edited: