State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17 | Page 41 | Golden Skate

State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17

dlarry1

Rinkside
I know I'm "late to the party," but I finally had the time to watch Mirai's SP from Autumn Classic. I don't think she's ever looked better. Mature, detailed, refined, and the jumps were great.

As a non-skater, I do have a technical question. On the combo spin where she goes from catch-foot (donut?) to catch-foot sit spin, does the fact that she never releases the foot make it more difficult? Does that add any additional level to the spin?

frida80

Record Breaker
I know I'm "late to the party," but I finally had the time to watch Mirai's SP from Autumn Classic. I don't think she's ever looked better. Mature, detailed, refined, and the jumps were great.

As a non-skater, I do have a technical question. On the combo spin where she goes from catch-foot (donut?) to catch-foot sit spin, does the fact that she never releases the foot make it more difficult? Does that add any additional level to the spin?

I believe it's a change of edge that increases the difficulty of her camel spin.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Has Polina E competed yet this season?
No she hasn't. It sounds like she needed more time to recover from her injury that kept her out of worlds last season. Per this story from Ice Network, she was just cleared to skate again sometime in August: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/08/18/196305198/edmunds-focused-on-musicality-of-new-programs

I was just about to ask about Polina and Courtney Hicks.

Courtney Hicks will be competing at Finlandia Trophy later this week.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Nina Ouellette is really fun though! Last year she struggled in the FS but I really liked her skating. I'm curious as to how she looks this year.

She should most certainly include a backward shoot the duck just for old time sake :dance2:

I've seen Nina several times this year and there is significant room for improvement, which is good as she is only 14. However, IMO, since she was unable to get the TES mins in her FS last year and then didn't qualify for Nationals, USFS s/h given this JGP to another junior lady.

There are other junior competitors who could use the valuable international experience and the opportunity to capture their all important TES Junior Worlds minimum.

But I guess since Nina is really fun, she is deserving. I hope she is able to build on her experience from last year and produce a better performance and subsequent scores. Wish her luck!

mrrice

Record Breaker

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Finally getting a chance to post and express my :love: of Ashley's gorgeous new FS from JO. :hap57:

Ashley is a treasure, and international figure skating is lucky to have her in the top ranks. Why? She's demonstrated that as an athlete, she's a performer, and she gives equal value to expression as to the technical. She isn't just about "emoting," and she isn't just about facial expression. Her expression and artistry are so much more than that. They're about movement, and the ability to transfer emotion from herself to audiences so that they can experience the program themselves, much like audiences experience good music, live or recorded. Also, it's about presence.

Ashley draws the attention of the audience before the music begins ... and it's as if she is channeling the thought ... "Watch. I'm about to give you something." She pulls the audience in, inviting us to join her on the journey. It's her way of combining the artistry with her gorgeous skating technique that entrances me.

And this year, she was able to devote more of her summer to training. So she's maintained where she was technically at Worlds, and now she can hopefully steadily improve as the season progresses. After last year, I have a lot of confidence that she and Rafael have put a step by step plan into action. Notice too, that although she's kept the same order of jumps, the choreography isn't identical. She isn't just skating last year's program to different music.

I'm so happy :hap10: that she was able to begin her season this way, skating a skate she can be proud of :dance:and looking forward to added depth.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What the heck was Gracie thinking not skating for the whole month of July? Starting the season out of shape is not the way you start a season. Either this girl needs to find reasons to keep skating or she might as well quit now.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Has Polina E competed yet this season?

I was just about to ask about Polina and Courtney Hicks.

Polina last we saw of her was doing an exhibition with no jumps.

Courtney pulled out of Glacier Falls due to I think it was wisdom teeth.

But they are both on my "whats up with them?"

I also want to know what is going on with Tyler Pierce. I am worried about her to be honest. We have seen no sign of her on ice... no even a cameo in Vincent's clips for months. She has had no assignments. She also was not at Champs Camp even though she has her first Grand Prix assignment. It seems really odd for her to not be at Champs Camp when she has never been at Champs Camp before. I wonder if it is health issue or if USFSA is doing on special treatment - which may not be the best idea.

Have see seen any of Bradie Tennell either for that matter?

andromache

Record Breaker
What the heck was Gracie thinking not skating for the whole month of July? Starting the season out of shape is not the way you start a season. Either this girl needs to find reasons to keep skating or she might as well quit now.

I love Gracie's skating and I never want to see her quit....but part of me agrees with you. She never seems happy to be out there, and even her competitive drive seems to be based on the expectations of others and not her own desire. She needs to have a Carolina Kostner moment and want to skate for herself, and want to win BECAUSE SHE WANTS TO WIN and not because anyone else wants her to win.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Probably that she needed to address her mental health - she made some comments about being depressed, I don't know if she meant clinical, but I also don't think you need a formal diagnosis to justify taking some time for yourself. Mental health is a valid issue just like physical. There could be many times when some time off is the right thing from a mental health standpoint. Not sure if it worked for Gracie, but it may not have been the worst idea/suggestion.

I do agree she needs to find her passion and enjoyment of the sport, and if she can't find it, she needs to start asking if she would be happier doing something else. I am not ready to say quit... but if she thinks she would be happier and more fulfilled going to college, I think she should give some consideration to pursuing her own happiness.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
By the way what's up with Vivian Le? She hasn't competed all season. Is she injured and if so what is the injury?

Vickys21

Rinkside
It seems that Gracie should be competing at many comps as possible to get used to the competitions nerves. Do you remember how many competition Tuktamysheva take place in during her successful season? Look at Satoko, she was already skating her FS almost perfectly at the Ice Show in Japan in summer. Russian girls had their test skates in early September in Russia. As for Gracie, she only skated her short in public once during summer and did not try out her long at all.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
By the way what's up with Vivian Le? She hasn't competed all season. Is she injured and if so what is the injury?

As discussed in this thread within the last few pages, Vivian competed (as a senior) at regionals over the weekend.
Fourth in the SP; fourth in the FS; fourth overall.
Third in the senior SP at Golden West, behind Gracie and Caroline Zhang.

I have never seen official confirmation of an injury for Vivian.
That said, seems to be conventional wisdom here on GS that she was/is injured??? Have never seen anyone specify what the supposed injury would be???

Congratulations to Mirai :luv17: for her gold at the Autumn Classic :yay:. (And for her wonderful SP :).)

Post-FS interview with her:
https://youtu.be/u_kmwBA_MBI (1:22, posted on Oct 1)​

Speaking of regionals, I thought it was lovely of Ashley W. :bow: to post a video sending encouragement and good luck to everyone competing at regionals.
I thought her msg was just perfect in tone and content. She chose her words well to connect with younger skaters following the path that she herself once took.

Last edited:

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
As discussed in this thread within the last few pages, Vivian competed (as a senior) at regionals over the weekend.
Fourth in the SP; fourth in the FS; fourth overall.
Third in the senior SP at Golden West, behind Gracie and Caroline Zhang.

I have never seen official confirmation of an injury for Vivian.
That said, seems to be conventional wisdom here on GS that she was/is injured??? Have never seen anyone specify what the supposed injury would be???

Congratulations to Mirai :luv17: for her gold at the Autumn Classic :yay:. (And for her wonderful SP :).)

Post-FS interview with her:
https://youtu.be/u_kmwBA_MBI (1:22, posted on Oct 1)​

Speaking of regionals, I thought it was lovely of Ashley W. :bow: to post a video sending encouragement and good luck to everyone competing at regionals.
I thought her msg was just perfect in tone and content. She chose her words well to connect with younger skaters following the path that she herself once took.

Vivian injured her ankle during off-ice conditioning not but a couple of weeks after changing coaches, it was not bone related.

Every year prior to Regionals, the USFSA selects an individual (and social media platforms) to make a video like this and it goes out to all Regional competitors. A very nice gesture and a nice way to get every excited.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Oh he looked pretty cute - no doubt about that. Made me think of the skater who got a deduction for inappropriate costuming because you could see right thru the white pants! No such luck for Yuzu's fans! :laugh2: :eek:topic: I thought though at the Japan Open, both Gracie and Satoko would have looked better in something with a little color to it. Both gorgeous costumes, but not out on the ice.

I think their white dresses would have looked better under the lights for an exhibition.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Probably that she needed to address her mental health - she made some comments about being depressed, I don't know if she meant clinical, but I also don't think you need a formal diagnosis to justify taking some time for yourself. Mental health is a valid issue just like physical. There could be many times when some time off is the right thing from a mental health standpoint. Not sure if it worked for Gracie, but it may not have been the worst idea/suggestion.

I do agree she needs to find her passion and enjoyment of the sport, and if she can't find it, she needs to start asking if she would be happier doing something else. I am not ready to say quit... but if she thinks she would be happier and more fulfilled going to college, I think she should give some consideration to pursuing her own happiness.

So many of these figure skating athletes work day in and day out and do not take many extended breaks which is exhausting physically and mentally! It is unlike any other sport. Not to mention, for the young ladies competing they have to be really aware of their height and weight as any little change can completely throw off their jumps. A truly tough sport. And I didn't even mention that all of this practice, body management, etc. is for 1 performance that lasts only 4 minutes. A couple of mistakes can take you out of the hunt regardless of whether you did a clean program every day for the last week or not. That is why, for me, seeing Queen Yuna do it and do it consistently for as long as she did is REMARKABLE!!! She did it up against some of the greatest skaters in the world, not just in Asia, not just in the US and not just in Europe. We have never seen someone do that before and we will never see it done again! That is why she is the Queen and there are no Princesses in figure skating :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
It seems that Gracie should be competing at many comps as possible to get used to the competitions nerves. Do you remember how many competition Tuktamysheva take place in during her successful season? Look at Satoko, she was already skating her FS almost perfectly at the Ice Show in Japan in summer. Russian girls had their test skates in early September in Russia. As for Gracie, she only skated her short in public once during summer and did not try out her long at all.

I don't remember the exact reason but, Gracie had a late start to her training this year. My biggest hope is that Gracie will peak late. My other hope is that Lori took a look at her Free Program and said "What the heck was I thinking" and that they will continue to rework it until it's competitive. Losing to Ashley is not that shocking to Gracie but, I think if they competed tomorrow that Mariah Bell would beat her. Maybe Gracie needs a wake up call. She's been at this for so long that she may be coasting or trying to coast for a season. However, she looks like she's going to coast herself off the World Team. Ashley, Mirai, and IMO, Mariah Bell, are ALL ahead of her at this point and I could definitely see Polina and Courtney beating Gracie's most recent outing.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Am I the only one who doesn't hate Gracie's LP? I don't love it, but it has the potential to be gorgeous. I'm in love with the music. Though perhaps I'd rather see someone softer like Evgenia skate to it, rather than Gracie.

(I desperately want Evgenia to skate to something moving and classical and epic. The music she skates to now is nice, but she has the talent to skate to music much bigger.)