2016 Rio: Volleyball | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Volleyball

yude

Record Breaker
To me, it seems that France didn't make a big effort, since they were sure of the qualification.

Watching the Olympic groups, the first 4 teams per group are almost done. Canada is a decent team but not enough to make surprises. On the other group, I'm expecting Argentina to finally step it up. Cuba is a BIG question mark.... I think we all know the actual situation.... They really wasted a ton of talent because of their politics... But, who knows, maybe Cuba will show new amazing young players.

I've read somewhere that 1st team will play against 4th (and this is obvious) BUT 2nd and 3rd teams will be drawn, maybe to avoid any kind of agreement... :think:

I'm also curious about Cuba since I haven't watched them play recently (I did watch some games broadcasted last year but I don't remember if they were there, oh my memory...). Are they strong now? I remember they were very strong like 20 years ago.

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
I'm also curious about Cuba since I haven't watched them play recently (I did watch some games broadcasted last year but I don't remember if they were there, oh my memory...). Are they strong now? I remember they were very strong like 20 years ago.

During World League 2015 they almost lost every match, but I read the team was very very young and inexperienced (I didn't watch any match since they were not in the same group of Italy).

The last great Cuba was the one during 2010 World Championships (here in Italy)... a team with: a super young Leon :eeking:, Simon :eekn:, Leal :reye:, Hierrezuelo and Hernandez (who just ended a fantastic season in Italy).... If you could add Juantorena to this team.... OMG!!!!!!!

Now Juantorena will play for Italy, Leon for Poland and Leal for Brasil..... As a truly lover of this sport, I would prefer to see that great Cuba again, instead of taking advantages of their great players.

yude

Record Breaker
Thank you very much for the information!! It's always nice to see young players have been growing up, good luck to the new Cuba team :)

alebi

Medalist
I read on a blog this morning that USA has just played two friendly matches in Cuba. Apart from the important meaning of a friendly match between these two countries, USA won both for 3-1 but the Cuban players played pretty good during the first sets of both matches (and one of their best scorer is a 19 years old!). After the diaspora of their best players, their Fed decided to focus on a group of youngsters and lately they're going on with this same team. So they can only improve, match after match, and given their always great physical potential, I'm sure we'll see new amazing players in a little while. Assuming that some European managers don't try to do, during Rio, the same dirty job...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I read on a blog this morning that USA has just played two friendly matches in Cuba. Apart from the important meaning of a friendly match between these two countries, USA won both for 3-1 but the Cuban players played pretty good during the first sets of both matches (and one of their best scorer is a 19 years old!). After the diaspora of their best players, their Fed decided to focus on a group of youngsters and lately they're going on with this same team. So they can only improve, match after match, and given their always great physical potential, I'm sure we'll see new amazing players in a little while. Assuming that some European managers don't try to do, during Rio, the same dirty job...
I hope not. Nothing kills the sport more than restricting it to few countries....

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

Cuba won't come back to its former glory unless they can find some solution to stop their players from running away, it's obvious. Some foreign coaching of their teams (as unlikely as it is) would not hurt either as their playing style is relic.

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
Cuba won't come back to its former glory unless they can find some solution to stop their skaters from running away, it's obvious. Some foreign coaching of their teams (as unlikely as it is) would not hurt either as their playing style is relic.

Skaters :p

I totally agree with you

sneakers

Match Penalty
nice comeback for Russia men in start of World League series in Kaliningrad
after a flop 0-3 against Serbia
they won against Poland 3:0 :hopelessness: and Bulgaria 3:1

they dont have the great Maxim Mikhaylov in opposite spiker as he has minor injury
but they are still doing great with Bakun and the young Poletaev as opposite spikers

Last edited:

sneakers

Match Penalty
close call, 3:2 with Russia against Italy in World League series held in Kaliningrad

China and Russia women are currently undefeated in all their matches so far :agree:
lets see if that will peak until Rio

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I think this year World League isn't the most accurate measurement of strength of particular teams, as at least some, like Poland, isn't even using all their strongest players, because they needed rest after Tokyo Tournament. And we all know that this year the teams concentrate on Rio, unless they didin't manage to qualify, like Serbia (which is unfortunate).

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
close call, 3:2 with Russia against Italy in World League series held in Kaliningrad

China and Russia women are currently undefeated in all their matches so far :agree:
lets see if that will peak until Rio

I heard Kathya Gamova just retired? No Gamova for Olympics? :sad21:

sneakers

Match Penalty
I think this year World League isn't the most accurate measurement of strength of particular teams, as at least some, like Poland, isn't even using all their strongest players, because they needed rest after Tokyo Tournament. And we all know that this year the teams concentrate on Rio, unless they didin't manage to qualify, like Serbia (which is unfortunate).

they are required to get 6 players who played from the olympics qualifications in the world championships and europeans/continental
sure Polands Wilfredo Leon wasnt there but the others were competing in Kaliningrad

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
they are required to get 6 players who played from the olympics qualifications in the world championships and europeans/continental
sure Polands Wilfredo Leon wasnt there but the others were competing in Kaliningrad
There was no Drzyzga, Kubiak or Mika. And Kurek also wasn't playing.... We were playing semi-reserve squad. But all of them joined the national team now, after well deserved rest, so it should look better.

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
I meant volleyball players obviously, lol. That forum is messing up in my head, huh.

Don't worry, it happens to me a billions times ;) (especially after the long winter season... I start calling everyone else skaters... LOL )

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
From what I've seen at World League, Poland is a complete mess. If it's going to look like this at Olympics, I don't want to watch... :slink:

sneakers

Match Penalty
From what I've seen at World League, Poland is a complete mess. If it's going to look like this at Olympics, I don't want to watch... :slink:

Argentina is really strong going to the Olympics as well as USA, France and of course Brazil
Russia has been kind of inconsistent too, they are subbing with new youngseters for this World League but kudos to Poleteav he's a future star

Mikhaylov is recovering from a minor injury but they say he will finally come back next week
Butko and Bakun are out from injury.

alebi

Medalist
Honestly I'm not going to take this World League so seriously. For example Italy is using it to test the new formation with Zaytsev as OH and choose which blockers are the best for Rio.
On the other hand for Serbia this is the only big tournament left... sigh

alebi

Medalist
World League semifinals are

Serbia - Italy
France - Brazil

Italy "played" (really.. I find hard to even say "play"...) awfully first match with Brazil, with USA they were back to first scheme with Zaytsev OPP and Juantorena and Lanza OH and the defence was way better. USA did too many mistakes in their two matches, more than 30 per match... they were really too much! Also Holt and Sanders are far from good shape. I didn't watch any match from the other group but I suppose Serbian are playing with fire in their eyes during this WL. Brasil since now looked as the strongest but France now will be a good test to prove it in a "in or out" match.
Any news about Poland? And why the venue looked so empty? I didn't expect so few spectators in Poland :scratch2:

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Well, I only watched Poland matches, since it's the only ones transmited on public channels and with sadness I must say, we didn't really deserve to make it to semi finals. But you're right that there were few spectators. Usually the arena is full when Poland plays and in both matches it wasn't! A little better in match against Serbia tough. I hope there will be more spectators in semifinals, the teams deserve some cheering.

Last edited: