How would Russia's absence affect the games | Golden Skate

How would Russia's absence affect the games

gmyers

Record Breaker
Do you think the Olympics would be damaged or greatly improved if Russia is barred from competing?

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
Do you think the Olympics would be damaged or greatly improved if Russia is barred from competing?

No Russia competing at Gymnastics?? Sounds really bad to me. I think they should ban athletes who are proven to have dopped.

gmyers

Record Breaker
No Russia competing at Gymnastics?? Sounds really bad to me. I think they should ban athletes who are proven to have dopped.

It looks like this years Russian gymnastics team in women's is more like 2008's than 2012's. Does that mean anything?

And what if there's just no Russia in track and field?

Layback11

Record Breaker
Is there a legitimate chance this will happen? I hope it doesn't.
If it did, rhythmic gymnastics gymnastics would be a mess. (Well, not a mess, just really uncertain.)

I'm really hoping this doesn't happen. It's very unfair what some of their athletes have been doing, yes, but it is even more unfair to punish even the clean athletes for the actions of the majority. Ban the ones who broke the rules, not the ones who just happen to live in a country where some other people did.

I heard a quote once that sums up what I though when people started talking about this:
"Some fish get caught for biting and some just get caught for being in the wrong part of the pond."

gmyers

Record Breaker
It is possible. Some doubted if IAAF would bn Russia but it did. Many sports powers are pushing for Russia to be banned.

Mattieu

Medalist
Russia is out

And you are celebrating this sad news?

Are you celebrating the fact that so many Russian athletes who have remained clean have had their life long ambition shattered by this news?

I agree with getting rid of the doping Russians but not the innocent ones!

Naya

On the Ice

Are you celebrating the fact that so many Russian athletes who have remained clean have had their life long ambition shattered by this news?

gmyers was just salivating to pop a champagne bottle!

Such decision was expected, on contraire IAAF would look completely useless.

Mattieu

Medalist

So gmyers would be happy if all Russian sports people were banned, including skaters?

Suze

Rinkside
The ban is on Russia's track and field team only.

My understanding from the 3 articles I've read so far (Times, rt, USA today) is that this is the decision of IAAF which is the global governing body for track and field. The IOC has not yet voted on this but will discuss next week. The IOC has the ultimate authority over the decision to ban Russian track and field athletes.

It is safe to conclude that Russian gymnastics team will still be able to participate regardless of IOC's decision since the discussion is on track and field only. I think it is highly unlikely that IOC would amend IAAF's decision by expanding the ban beyond track and field athletes.

We will have to stay tuned for more from the IOC.

Naya

On the Ice
So gmyers would be happy if all Russian sports people were banned, including skaters?

I don't know about skaters, but gmyers has been repeating that all Russians should be banned from Olympics like a broken record. He/she must be schadenfreud addicted when it comes to Russians. Ugh.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Sad, sad news. I really hoped they would let the innocent one compete. It must be devastating for them, and also the competition will be less exciting in many disciplines :(

sneakers

Match Penalty
Sad, sad news. I really hoped they would let the innocent one compete. It must be devastating for them, and also the competition will be less exciting in many disciplines :(

the IOC already said they will look into clean athletes case individually
I think the compromise will be russian athletes that are not on the doping list of IAAF can compete under the IOC flag but not Russian flag

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
the IOC already said they will look into clean athletes case individually
I think the compromise will be russian athletes that are not on the doping list of IAAF can compete under the IOC flag but not Russian flag

That would be okay. At least they would not miss Olympics and have a chance to fight for medals. I mean waiting another 4 years is a looong time afterall and I was never a fan of collective responsibility.

gmyers

Record Breaker

It's not sad news. Russia has not done much of anything to fix the doping problems. Coaches who were banned for life continue to train athletes as consultants to facilities! This is ridiculous. Russia has a state sponsored if not run sport system. Russia is infecting all of its athletes with doping suspicion because it won't take necessary actions. The only thing that makes sense is banning all the track and field people and expanding it to other sports.

Yes because it's very anti doping.

Yes because the state sports establishments need to move away from doping and PEDs.

Russia is just not doing anything against doping and it has to because very few athletes are not funded by the state.

Last edited:

sneakers

Match Penalty
It's not sad news. Russia has not done much of anything to fix the doping problems. Coaches who were banned for life continue to train athletes as consultants to facilities! This is ridiculous. Russia has a state sponsored if not run sport system. Russia is infecting all of its athletes with doping suspicion because it won't take necessary actions. The only thing that makes sense is banning all the track and field people and expanding it to other sports.

Russia is just not doing anything against doping and it has to because very few athletes are not funded by the state.

No, most sports federations in russia are seperate and have their own institution, the russian hockey fed, basketball fed, volleyball, swimming, gymnastics fed, isu fed, wrestling fed etc. Most of the doping cheats are consistent over the years it mostly comes from athletics fed, weightlifting, cycling and some from baithlon, swimming. And if you speak of the meldonium, it was used when it was legal because doctors recommended it to them.

It might be that some doctors need more updates on the prohibited drugs but the entire federation let alone a WHOLE COUNTRY is aware of this is a Political Accusation
the russian hockey fed, basketball fed, volleyball, swimming fed, gymnastics fed, isu fed, wrestling fed, fencing fed, have very independent federal internal body.

actually the banning of RAAF doesnt hit much blow to russian sports in Rio, a maximum of 5 gold medals at best in athletics
the sports who can rack the highest from them is wrestling can get 8-10 gold (freestyle and greco-roman) just from the men alone, judo, gymnastics, synchro, weightlifting, fencing, volleyball, triathlon, canoening etc. All of these have rarely had dirty doping results compared to athletics, weightlifting, cycling.

also, a weightlifting ban would do more damage a russian medal standings than athletics. Its a sport won mostly by China, former Soviet States and North Korea !!!

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I am shocked by this honestly. But maybe the ban was needed so that change is possible. Just seeing it from the side of the athletes, this must be horrible. I hope it'll never come to this in figure skating. I wouldn't want to miss the wonderful russian athletes on the biggest stage. But then doping in figure skating seems somehow hard to do.

gmyers

Record Breaker
No, most sports federations in russia are seperate and have their own institution, the russian hockey fed, basketball fed, volleyball, swimming, gymnastics fed, isu fed, wrestling fed etc. Most of the doping cheats are consistent over the years it mostly comes from athletics fed, weightlifting, cycling and some from baithlon, swimming. And if you speak of the meldonium, it was used when it was legal because doctors recommended it to them.

It might be that some doctors need more updates on the prohibited drugs but the entire federation let alone a WHOLE COUNTRY is aware of this is a Political Accusation
the russian hockey fed, basketball fed, volleyball, swimming fed, gymnastics fed, isu fed, wrestling fed, fencing fed, have very independent federal internal body.

actually the banning of RAAF doesnt hit much blow to russian sports in Rio, a maximum of 5 gold medals at best in athletics
the sports who can rack the highest from them is wrestling can get 8-10 gold (freestyle and greco-roman) just from the men alone, judo, gymnastics, synchro, weightlifting, fencing, volleyball, triathlon, canoening etc. All of these have rarely had dirty doping results compared to athletics, weightlifting, cycling.

also, a weightlifting ban would do more damage a russian medal standings than athletics. Its a sport won mostly by China, former Soviet States and North Korea !!!

Sports have their own federations but they are all state run.

It is not a political accusation. The athletes are failing the tests. That's the problem.