Getting started competing pattern dances | Golden Skate

Getting started competing pattern dances

js_halo

Spectator
Hello, all. I’m based in the USA, and my coach and I have been tossing around the idea of competing pattern dances. I would be competing adult pre-bronze, per my testing level. The problem is, I’m having trouble finding resources re: which dances I would compete (different rule books show different combinations?), as well as how long my music should be in regard to completing the pattern, and also having intro/outro steps. For example, the official Canasta Tango music is far longer than the required pattern takes to complete. I’d like to find a resource on what my music parameters are.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help point me in the right direction. My coach has no dance experience, so we’re both flying blind. Thanks for any help.

Coach Aimee

PSA Ranked
Rinkside
Skaters are expected to edit the music (even the official music) to the appropriate length. The link to the timing and length of programs is here: https://www.usfigureskating.org/sit...3 Adult Skaters Choice Dance Timing Chart.pdf (you must log in to Members Only to view).

Solo dance is very technical. It's a discipline that coaches specialize in. I suggest that you look into getting a dedicated dance coach if you want to compete in solo dance.

As a coach, I would refer a skater to an appropriate dance coach for testing and/or competing in ice dance.

js_halo

Spectator
Skaters are expected to edit the music (even the official music) to the appropriate length. The link to the timing and length of programs is here: https://www.usfigureskating.org/sites/default/files/media-files/2022-23 Adult Skaters Choice Dance Timing Chart.pdf (you must log in to Members Only to view).

Solo dance is very technical. It's a discipline that coaches specialize in. I suggest that you look into getting a dedicated dance coach if you want to compete in solo dance.

As a coach, I would refer a skater to an appropriate dance coach for testing and/or competing in ice dance.
Thank you so much!

js_halo

Spectator
I just wanted to add re: coaches specializing in dance, I absolutely understand what you’re saying. Unfortunately, my rink no longer has a dance coach. The man I started dance with retired, and despite my best efforts to convince the club to bring in someone with a dance background, they elected to fill his slot with two junior coaches.

The closest dance coach is a 7hr round trip, and that’s just too much strain on my car and my bank account, unfortunately. I do get to spend some time with a knowledgeable guest coach, occasionally. Maybe in the future my club will capitulate, but I’ll just keep my fingers crossed until then.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I just wanted to add re: coaches specializing in dance, I absolutely understand what you’re saying. Unfortunately, my rink no longer has a dance coach. The man I started dance with retired, and despite my best efforts to convince the club to bring in someone with a dance background, they elected to fill his slot with two junior coaches.

The closest dance coach is a 7hr round trip, and that’s just too much strain on my car and my bank account, unfortunately. I do get to spend some time with a knowledgeable guest coach, occasionally. Maybe in the future my club will capitulate, but I’ll just keep my fingers crossed until then.
There might be a way to make an arrangement with the dance coach that's further away for them to make the trip for perhaps every other weekend or something to work with you, if it should be feasible for you, the coach, and the rink/skating director.