Let's guess the Russian ladies Oly team? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Let's guess the Russian ladies Oly team?

Amei

Record Breaker
Julia has of course some problems to fix, but for sure not with weight gain (unlike Liza). Look at her:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGSVhRzELSXEnzSclgPvABDbV6qGovY1_6dDi00/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGR0MqaELWaeOj8O20GadvEWxnPAetW_vYTArM0/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGHmoHLELfNkniyx97-y0yDrpyguvNRLYMtfQU0/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJNvwgUcyLw
what about OG-2018 "sborna" prediction I have no idea, but I think the best mental features for that have: Evgenia, Radio, Anna and... Maria Sotskova

I really think Julia will not resurface as the it girl in Russia. Her tiny body helped her become that girl. I don't think she can overcome the weight gain. Her body has betrayed her.

Well from reading her fan fest and articles since her switch to Urmanov: There's a more structured physical conditioning routine which is going to aid her in being in better shape and she openly admitted that she is enjoying FS more now, which probably results in her working more/harder in practices and training. She showed up to Cup of Russia after Nationals with a new FS dress because the old one was too big on her. What also probably helps her immensley is that she has a good technical coach in Urmanov and he does not have the volume of students that Eteri does and he can give more focus to Lipnitskaia.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
That is nice to hear about Julia who certainly stole so many hearts. Beside the Americans and Mao and Yuna Yulia was who I ROOTED FOR IN Sochi. I never cared for Urmanov. Not his style his programs. He was handsome. I notice he is never on the list of fave skaters like other Russian Gold medalists.

All skaters now are incredibly fit. Julia looks 25 there. Very sexy and hardly recognizable. The thing is athletes like Tara and Julia could rotate jumps because there were no breasts no hips. A few pounds can change everything. Terri knew this and I recall her apology that she could not let Julia eat. I am happy if she skates because she loves it. Evgenia seems so free out there. The pressures seem not to bother her and that is why I would put my money on her. She has developed by her frame is so thin. It has to be hard to tango all those jumps. I think her style will improve greatly the next two seasons. I think she might be a comet and right now she seems really focused. I agree the WC was almost like her saying this is easy but it is not the prize I want. Anna can be lovely but those amazing falls. The Olympics will get to her nerves I think if she gets there.

I wonder who the Russian Federation values the most?

Imagine

Medalist
Are you daft? By your standards, the entire American team is morbidly obese. Ridiculous.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Elena, given that this was a transitional season for her in terms of trying to stabilise through her growth spurt and she kept most of her jumps. I believe that in the off season she will further stabilise those jumps and with a bit of work on tightening up the choreography, I know she will be a major threat. Now if only we can prise her away from maudlin balladry and have her pick something fun and entertaining that befits her energy and talent!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Elena, given that this was a transitional season for her in terms of trying to stabilise through her growth spurt and she kept most of her jumps. I believe that in the off season she will further stabilise those jumps and with a bit of work on tightening up the choreography, I know she will be a major threat. Now if only we can prise her away from maudlin balladry and have her pick something fun and entertaining that befits her energy and talent!

Maybe she's saving a Bond or Mission Impossible style program for the Olympic season ;)

Layback11

Record Breaker
Are you daft? By your standards, the entire American team is morbidly obese. Ridiculous.
^^^ Agreed. In about 98% of circumstances, the weight discussion should be left alone. Skaters could find this stuff, and trust me, oftentimes people in sports where the need for thinness is emphasized will go to extremes to meet people's unrealistic expectations of their weight. It's important to think before you post anything about weight.

Also remember that the camera adds ten pounds. And even so, these girls STILL look remarkably thin. That says it all.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
For the time being Medvedeva is the only one who looks to be a shoe in, but that's IF she avoids the weight gain disaster. The rest still pretty much up in the air. Perhaps Radionova has a slight edge over the rest of the field due to her relative consistency, and she maintained her physique pretty well while she had a growth spurt.
The rest, Pogorilaya or Lipnitskaya, Tsurskaya or Sotskova

boskil

Match Penalty
Since Lakernik became new ISU figure skating chief, I hope Russian ladies will get 5 spots as they unquestionably deserve! :p:dev3:

The team:
- Julechka,
- Adelinochka,
- Lizochka,
- Zhenechka,
- Lenochka.

andromache

Record Breaker
My dream team of sophisticated Russian artistes: Evgenia, Yulia, Adelina

If the skating gods are good, Yulia will be back 100% by Olympic season and we will have an Evgenia/Yulia rivalry to surpass Yagudin/Plushy rivalry in drama :drama:

The more likely team of whoever is doing best at standing up on their jumps during the 2017-2018 season: Anna Pogo (she always sneaks in!), Elena Rad (might still be somewhat sloppy, but girl can land her jumps even with her growth spurt this season), Evgenia or Liza (Evgenia if she survives growth spurt, if not, Liza will be decently competitive that season, but still with not-great programs).

Even if Adelina gets 2014 fit again, she will tend to be more on the inconsistent side I think :sad21:.

I vote Elena Rad for "most likely to be on the Olympic team." She's so darn gritty in landing her jumps. The only way she won't (barring injury, duh) is if there are three Russian ladies with her consistency PLUS who are more polished and choreographically sound. But I don't see that happening.

Polina T. is a wild card. She has the best jumps I've ever seen but she's SO TALL. It's unclear how that will impact her, especially since in 2018 she'll be around the typical "danger time" for young ladies.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Sincerly I also have wondered if all Lip's problems could have been caused by her weight...
BTW I agree with you: Lip has a fitter body now :D

I think most of Julia's issues came from not great jump technique and the aftermath of the Olympics what with being the hero of the team event and then not managing to medal at the individual event. Julia's body changed since the Olympic season for sure but other people have survived much more drastic growth spurts and changes with their jumps intact. Julia is still relatively short and her height did not increase much after the olympics and neither did her weight or general body build. She has some curves now but post puberty she is still petite and slim just as she was before. Compared to someone like Mirai Nagasu who went from being itty bitty as a young teen (much smaller than Julia as a 13-14 year old) to a fairly tall with a sturdier, athletic body type by the age of 16-17, Julia's changes were much less significant. And yet even Mirai seems to be improving as of late. I really do think technique and the mental aspect are to blame for Julia's struggles the past couple of seasons, not puberty. She actually is similar to Sasha Cohen in her build, both as a young girl and now woman.

I think if Julia can work to improve her technique and gets herself in a good place mentally, she can definitely come back strong. Being strong may not be strong enough to make it to Worlds or Olympics but it's hard to say what will happen. Under Tutberidze her 3loop and 3sal were not that strong/reliable, and while the 3lutz and 3flip were consistent for her, there always seemed to be edge issues and it wasn't just on one jump (she's gotten called for flutzing and lipping IIRC). Hopefully Urmanov has worked on getting those jumps sorted out, the tano 3lz looked great at nationals so it will be interesting to see how she's looking next season.

Layback11

Record Breaker
My dream team of sophisticated Russian artistes: Evgenia, Yulia, Adelina

If the skating gods are good, Yulia will be back 100% by Olympic season and we will have an Evgenia/Yulia rivalry to surpass Yagudin/Plushy rivalry in drama :drama:

The more likely team of whoever is doing best at standing up on their jumps during the 2017-2018 season: Anna Pogo (she always sneaks in!), Elena Rad (might still be somewhat sloppy, but girl can land her jumps even with her growth spurt this season), Evgenia or Liza (Evgenia if she survives growth spurt, if not, Liza will be decently competitive that season, but still with not-great programs).

Even if Adelina gets 2014 fit again, she will tend to be more on the inconsistent side I think :sad21:.

I vote Elena Rad for "most likely to be on the Olympic team." She's so darn gritty in landing her jumps. The only way she won't (barring injury, duh) is if there are three Russian ladies with her consistency PLUS who are more polished and choreographically sound. But I don't see that happening.

Polina T. is a wild card. She has the best jumps I've ever seen but she's SO TALL. It's unclear how that will impact her, especially since in 2018 she'll be around the typical "danger time" for young ladies.
:agree: Agree with all of this! Like I said, I would like it to be Lena/Yulia/Adelina, but I also love Maria Sotskova and Alisa Fedichkina, so I'm very torn :drama: