Thoughts on Satoko Miyahara's skating | Golden Skate

Thoughts on Satoko Miyahara's skating

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's clear that Satoko Miyahara generates a wide range of reaction among fans. Why do you think she provokes such contrasting reactions among fans?

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Fan reaction to Satoko Miyahara's skating

LOL, that performance from Miyahara. She threw a 3Toe onto every jump. I don't think it's a very good program, not sensing much of a theme to it and there weren't any special moves, aside from the nice spiral (which could have been held longer). The dress will need to change too.

chloepoco

Medalist
LOL, that performance from Miyahara. She threw a 3Toe onto every jump. I don't think it's a very good program, not sensing much of a theme to it and there weren't any special moves, aside from the nice spiral (which could have been held longer). The dress will need to change too.

I totally disagree--I love her new program!!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Well - and it's also a matter of taste and loving her skating from the get go that does play a factor.

This is a two-way street, for the "haterz" just as much as for the "ubers".

ioanna

Record Breaker
Well - and it's also a matter of taste and loving her skating from the get go that does play a factor.

Not for me. I've criticized her Un Sospiro FS for not having enough ice coverage and for getting monotonous as the season went on. There is a difference between liking a skater and being a "uber".

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Not for me. I've criticized her Un Sospiro FS for not having enough ice coverage and for getting monotonous as the season went on. There is a difference between liking a skater and being a "uber".

Good for you :cool14:
There's also a difference between criticizing and being a hater.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Good for you :cool14:
There's also a difference between criticizing and being a hater.

Of course. There are two perfect examples of criticizing and being a hater right in this thread and I think the difference can be spotted by everyone.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
I guess when a skater challenges oneself, their efforts are "LOL" worthy.

When someone throws 4 small, cheated Triple Toeloops into a program it's just funny to watch, precisely because they think it shows "more power" when actually all it does is show repetitive choreography and flawed technique. Anyway, there is hardly any good musical interpretation happening in that program to me. The arm flutters she does after the spiral + hop didn't nearly reflect the intensity of the music, it was like she was suddenly skating to music about butterflies. In general I don't see what is trying to be conveyed by the music of this program. It is very vanilla in many parts and then randomly gets intense in bits and pieces.

I did like the step sequence, though.

Skye

On the Ice
Too early to say. She has a full year ahead to prove she can handle the program. Kudos to her for challenging different genres season after season. Not a lot of skaters do that.

Believe me, I give props to Satoko for taking on programs out of her comfort zone. She may look gentle but in reality is such a fierce competitor. Firedance was great in bringing out what's hidden under her softness, and I was stunned to see that she looked almost sexy in Hernando's Hideaway.
But there's no denying that certain programs expose a skater's weakness rather than playing to their strength. And Satoko, like every other skater in the world, has her own strengths and weaknesses. She's skating to a program based on cosmos, so the audience can't help but notice how "small" her jumps and skating are compared to the "big" music. I don't want to undermine her hard work, but those sort of limitations are not easily - if ever - overcome. As much as I admired Max Aaron for tackling Swan Lake last season, I felt like he was trying too hard no matter how well he skated.

ioanna

Record Breaker
When someone throws 4 small, cheated Triple Toeloops into a program it's just funny to watch, precisely because they think it shows "more power" when actually all it does is show repetitive choreography and flawed technique. Anyway, there is hardly any good musical interpretation happening in that program to me. The arm flutters she does after the spiral + hop didn't nearly reflect the intensity of the music, it was like she was suddenly skating to music about butterflies. In general I don't see what is trying to be conveyed by the music of this program. It is very vanilla in many parts and then randomly gets intense in bits and pieces.

I did like the step sequence, though.

Having seen what you think is "humor" before, you don't have to justify why you think her program is "LOL".

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
You don't need to be so obtuse. This is a place for conversation and I added more detail to explain my reaction. Plenty of others have also expressed similar criticisms about this program. Do what you will with the opinions. When I watched that performance I literally said out loud "she's going to do another 2Axel+3Toe before the last spin of the program, isn't she". And she did. It was hilarious to me in its predictability and how disconnected it was from the music and a greater choreographic concept. This is what the scoring system has wrought on the sport.

ioanna

Record Breaker
You don't need to be so obtuse. This is a place for conversation and I added more detail to explain my reaction. Plenty of others have also expressed similar criticisms about this program. Do what you will with the opinions. When I watched that performance I literally said out loud "she's going to do another 2Axel+3Toe before the last spin of the program, isn't she". And she did. It was hilarious to me in its predictability and how disconnected it was from the music and a greater choreographic concept. This is what the scoring system has wrought on the sport.

You do realize this was a show and there is no way she can do 4 triple toes in competition...

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
With the new rule, she could feasibly plan to do 3 of them if she wants. The last one just won't receive credit. That aside, it seems really obvious she will keep doing multiple cheated 2Axel+3Toe combos in her competitive program and then 3Lutz+2Toe+2Loop as the other combo. Maybe she will try to backload that combo this year for maximize point gain. Whatever the exact combo order is, all of my other criticisms of the program will remain if everything else stays the same. It feels so compulsory and random.

With how calculated her skating can be, I'm really surprised she's still doing a flying camel in this program. That's not a great spin for her and she could get .3 more in base value by doing a combination spin instead. I notice she isn't doing the multi-direction spin in this program right now. After the donut position in her current flying camel she could change to a forward sit in the other direction and then into an upright.

ioanna

Record Breaker
With the new rule, she could feasibly plan to do 3 of them if she wants. The last one just won't receive credit. That aside, it seems really obvious she will keep doing multiple cheated 2Axel+3Toe combos in her competitive program and then 3Lutz+2Toe+2Loop as the other combo. Maybe she will try to backload that combo this year for maximize point gain. Whatever the exact combo order is, all of my other criticisms of the program will remain if everything else stays the same. It feels so compulsory and random.
Why would she plan to do 3 of them and not receive credit for the last one? Why does it seem "really obvious" that she will keep doing multiple 2A-3T combos? Here's what's really obvious about that video:

1. It's a summer show
2. Because it's a summer show, that program may very well not be completed yet
3. Before stating your assumptions as facts, here's the news: she won't do "multiple cheated 2A-3T" combos anymore. Her combos will be 3Lz-3T, 3Lz-2T-2Lo, 2A-3T. What's "really obvious" is that the order is not established yet, and that is why she "threw" 4 triple toes: to see which order will stay and also as a future back-up plan in case something happens to the other combos
4. You can criticize her all you want, I don't care. Your problem compared to those "plenty of others" who have expressed criticism is that yours are not similar at all. In fact you are the only one stating assumptions as facts, making it sound like she's cheating on purpose and expressing dislike in a mocking, arrogant tone

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
The thing is if Miyahara is cheating on purpose , Uno is the ultimate cheater as well, but surprisingly I have never noticed criticizing him anywhere like this.. do we have the case of having double standards ?
All I can sum up Bop makes assumptions himself and then keeps believing that they are inevitable to happen.

I feel a bit sad for Satoko, she pushes her limits and tries the best she can.. always but some will never give her full credit because she is not "The chosen one" who can still skate to hakuna matata and everyone will still call her dropped from heaven and give all hail .. c'est la vie mes amis ....

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Hmm.... Miyahara's new free program to Star Wars is passable for now. It shows off her flow and jumping prowess (of course she'll do fewer triple toes in actual competition), though these are things we are already know about her skating. On the positive side, I think the footwork sequence is where she has the most impact.

There are several issues with the program that I can see so far. If you're going to pick Star Wars, I would select the most iconic parts of that soundtrack, like the main theme and the battle music. The orchestrated arrangement for the program muddles the simplicity of the notes, which is a problem with so many tribute orchestrations, that it doesn't give Miyahara a lot of areas to emphasize.

Where Miyahara needs to develop is the light and shade of her programs. A part of that is getting music with those moments that the skater can accent, and the other part is the change in tempo and her emotional commitment in time with the music. Many times, when I watch Miyahara's programs, she skates at the same tone and level throughout the piece. It's fluid and consistent, but leaves with the impression of being pleasant rather than impactful and resonant.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Why would she plan to do 3 Triple Toeloops and not receive credit for the last one?

(A.) Because her team thinks it's better choreography, by making her small 2A jump look more impressive.
(B.) Because if she makes a mistake on the Lutz in the planned 3Lutz+3Toe combo, then the program will be automatically trained anyway to replace that missed 3Toe.

Not saying this is for sure, just possible methods of thinking.

Why does it seem "really obvious" that she will keep doing multiple 2A-3T combos?

Because that's what she has done for the past 2 seasons and the fact that she did it in this performance, despite already doing so many 3Toe's in combo, tells me she plans to do it again. Otherwise why did she not just do a solo 2Axel with additional choreography afterward in performance, as the program would be planned if that was her intent for competition?

Making it sound like she's cheating on purpose

I'm not doing that. Although, realistically, she knows that her technique is flawed. She probably doesn't try to jump this small and pre-rotated, but she does know that her 2Axel+3Toe attempts have pretty much always been credited by tech panels. So it's clever on her part to go after the points in this way; there's no rule against it.

Look, I can't help it that the context of this performance made me laugh when I watched it. All those 3Toe combinations that she threw in were appearing to say "look, I am a powerful jumper!" and it's just funny to me how different the actual effect is from the intent. I was also just laughing at the farcical nature of the scoring system itself and how it has produced this scenario of skaters thinking these laborious movements are actually great skating and something they should strive for.

I feel a bit sad for Satoko, she pushes her limits and tries the best she can.. always but some will never give her full credit because she is not "The chosen one"

This is a very strange line of thinking. I like Satako a lot and I love her talent. I'm not trying to give her any less credit than she deserves. I've no doubt she tries her best and pushes her limits. But we do all have to face our limits, after all.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I do think Satoko's step sequence quite interesting. But the whole program I am not sure, I struggled to stay awake in the second half of the program. I do think the music is a bit big for her but this is still early so she might grew into it later.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
The thing is if Miyahara is cheating on purpose , Uno is the ultimate cheater as well, but surprisingly I have never noticed criticizing him anywhere like this.. do we have the case of having double standards ?

We don't. Shoma is getting plenty of criticism too, remember his 4F and the long discussion if it should have been ratified or not? There was a good number of posts that probably couldn't be called valid criticism either.
Besides, Satoko is in her 2nd senior year, and from what I see the criticism (and hate) went up a lot more than in her first year, which is quite typical - just as all the first-year newbies are usually hailed as the new sensation and the backlash comes the next season. I'm pretty certain you will not 'miss' too many cheating comments in Shoma's direction next season either, whatever that is supposed to make better or worse regarding Satoko's jumps or the discussion about them...

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All I can sum up Bop makes assumptions himself and then keeps believing that they are inevitable to happen.

I feel a bit sad for Satoko, she pushes her limits and tries the best she can.. always but some will never give her full credit because she is not "The chosen one" who can still skate to hakuna matata and everyone will still call her dropped from heaven and give all hail .. c'est la vie mes amis ....

Check out the Shoma Uno Raises the Bar thread. That quickly became the $--- On Shoma thread as everyone stopped by to weigh in and criticize him. I finally stopped reading it when the comment was something like "Do we really want a champion who cheats on all his jumps?" People don't obsessively pick at him like they do with Satoko, but the criticism is definitely there.

Last edited: