2016-17 State of Canadian Ladies Skating | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Canadian Ladies Skating

TGee

Record Breaker
All I know is that I have plane tickets for next Wednesday, the 19th, as I will be staying with friends for the competition. Today is the 11th---the competition starts in 10 days, which is NEXT WEEK.

Hi chuckm and 4everchan,

Actually, in my experience, there is a bit of difference in US and Canadian usage of this week and next week. Seriously...

I don't think I ever quite sorted it out, but I got tired of causing confusion and tried to take the "when in Rome" approach while I lived in the US.

I think that the difference is subtle, but it's real. As far as I eventually figured out by trial and error, next week, would mean the weekend following Finlandia for a Canadian... but Americans count the week on the calendar and anything that falls in it is next week...

You know, in Canada, we get very precise examples so that we don't mess things up setting deadlines between English and French. But we don't get taught that there are different understandings of this in English.:curse:

So, can we please toss this in the "that's weird" and "who knew" categories?:console:

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^^that's why i had said in canadian weeks, being aware of the differences when our american friend corrected you.. also, chuck may not have realised that we were still in our weekend when you posted, making skate america not next weekend but the following... yup... it was turkey weekend for us chuck

Daniel1998

Final Flight
There's such thing as Canadian weeks?
I'm Canadian and I would have referred to Skate America as being "next week" as early as this past Sunday, regardless of it being a long weekend or not. As far as I see it, Sunday is the beginning of a "new week" on a calendar, and since Skate America is being held during the week of the next passing Sunday, it is "next week".
Anything happening in the week of the Sunday that just passed I would refer to as "this week".
It's amazing how many problems I've run into with this issue, actually. Some people would tell me on Sunday that an assignment is due "Friday of next week", when they really mean the Friday 5 days from present. Why not call it "this Friday"?

mrrice

Record Breaker
^^^that's why i had said in canadian weeks, being aware of the differences when our american friend corrected you.. also, chuck may not have realised that we were still in our weekend when you posted, making skate america not next weekend but the following... yup... it was turkey weekend for us chuck

Just how much free time do you all have? Are we seriously having a discussion on the difference between a Canadian and US week? Who cares, the dates are the same on both calendars aren't they? What matters is who will be attending? After seeing the way that Kaetlyn performed last week, Gabby has the chance to ride the cresting Canadian Wave and I really look for her to make a statement that She plans to be the Canadian Champion this season. It will be difficult because Kaetlyn was spectacular in Finland.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Just how much free time do you all have? Are we seriously having a discussion on the difference between a Canadian and US week? Who cares, the dates are the same on both calendars aren't they? What matters is who will be attending? After seeing the way that Kaetlyn performed last week, Gabby has the chance to ride the cresting Canadian Wave and I really look for her to make a statement that She plans to be the Canadian Champion this season. It will difficult because Kaetlyn was spectacular in Finland.

don't forget about Alaine!!!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
no no but you are talking about being canadian champion... it won't be a duel between gabby and kaetlyn only... Alaine can repeat as National champion.
Are they both going to be there? How did that happen?

mrrice

Record Breaker
no no but you are talking about being canadian champion... it won't be a duel between gabby and kaetlyn only... Alaine can repeat as National champion.

Oh I get it. Of all the recent Canadians, Alaine was the biggest shock. Why? Because the first time I saw her, I actually thought she was Gracie. Have we seen Alaine yet this season? Like Gracie, I think that Alaine has enough going for her without a Triple Axel that I hope she has decided to leave it in her past for good.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Oh I get it. Of all the recent Canadians, Alaine was the biggest shock. Why? Because the first time I saw her, I actually thought she was Gracie. Have we seen Alaine yet this season? Like Gracie, I think that Alaine has enough going for her without a Triple Axel that I hope she has decided to leave it in her past for good.

She skated a clean (or clean-ish) free program in a domestic competition a week or two ago.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

i saw her live... and you did too(online)... at Autumn Classic mrrice.. we even exchanged about it in the competition thread ;) you agreed she was fierce and that Mirai wasn't at her best in the LP etc...

And as far as I know, the 3A is not on the menu this year.

mrrice

Record Breaker
i saw her live... and you did too(online)... at Autumn Classic mrrice.. we even exchanged about it in the competition thread ;) you agreed she was fierce and that Mirai wasn't at her best in the LP etc...

And as far as I know, the 3A is not on the menu this year.

I was seriously in the middle of writing to you that I just saw her and completely forgot. I'm sorry......:disapp:

Sackie

Medalist
I read elsewhere that she's been dealing with a minor injury. I would have liked to see her skate in the JGP. Hopefully she's back by Challenge.

SkaterSP ScoreFS ScoreTotal ScoreEvent
Kaetlyn Osmond64.73 (TES 35.35 + PCS 29.38)122.54 (TES 60.59 + PCS 61.95)187.272016 Finlandia Trophy
Alaine Chartrand56.61 (TES 29.41 + PCS 28.20 -1.00)129.50 (TES 67.50 + PCS 62.00)186.112016 Autumn Classic International
Gabrielle Daleman60.15 (TES 32.21 + PCS 28.94 -1.00)115.25 (TES 55.19 + PCS 61.06 -1.00)175.402016 Nebelhorn Trophy

Question - Who do you think will be the first of these 3 to score over 70 internationally in the short? And who will be the first to score over 130 internationally in the free? I am thinking it may be Alaine who accomplishes both - but unfortunately not at the same event!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i would say Alaine for the SP for sure. Alaine was so close from 130 at aci... only a tiny better landing on the 2A-2L ant it was there, so, I'd go with that...
Question - Who do you think will be the first of these 3 to score over 70 internationally in the short? And who will be the first to score over 130 internationally in the free? I am thinking it may be Alaine who accomplishes both - but unfortunately not at the same event!

Sackie

Medalist
4everchan- And by looking at her GP assignments, it looks like even if she did go over 70 and 130 in the same event she wouldn't win! In fact she would almost have to do that in order to even get a medal.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker

Hey Sackie! Great question. You reminded me that Gabby and Alaine are actually tied in their PB short program scores with 67.38. Interesting coincidence. :)

I don't think any of the ladies can break 70 points yet. Currently Gabby has the highest BV for a SP with a 3Lz+3T (the 3T was underrotated at Nebelhorn), 3F, and 2A. So if she went clean she would have the best chance to break 70 but would need higher PCS and/or GOES to do it. If Kaetlyn upgrades her 2T to a 3T then she would also have a chance with an essentially similar layout of 3F+3T, 3Lz, and 2A. Alaine would be close with a 3Lz+3T, 3Lo, and 2A but would need higher GOEs/PCS. I've used Satoko Miyahara's score at US Classic as reference for this. Satoko's consistency and good results have earned her a higher PCS than all of the Canadian ladies.

Breaking 130 is another matter. Alaine has the best chance of the ladies to do this. She's skated her FS twice to scores of 129+ (at Minto and ACI). Both times she was not perfect, so she has the potential to score higher. Gabby scored 128.30 at Worlds with a flawed FS, so she has the potential for it as well. But her FS at Nebelhorn had a serious fall and it took her some time to recover. If she goes clean or even mostly clean, I think she may be able to do it. Kaetlyn as well. Kaetlyn's big issue is getting her combinations to work. But I think being 3rd at Nationals lit a fire under Kaetlyn. She is not looking to be 3rd again this year.

Daniel1998

Final Flight

Gabby for her short program. Alaine for the long.
Kaetlyn could score well above 130 if she actually did her combinations, but that's never happened before.
She scored 122 with: 3F-tuktamysheva toe turn-3T, 2A-2T, 3Lz, 3Lo messy, 3F, 3S 1T 2Lo messy, and 2A stepout.
If she ever did a 7 triple free skate I think her scores would be through the roof.
Like Mango said, Kaetlyn was mad about 3rd place at Nationals- she called it a shock in a recent interview. Hopefully we'll see Kaetlyn to her full potential this year.