2016-17 Coaching Changes | Golden Skate

2016-17 Coaching Changes

Layback11

Record Breaker
Vivian Le and Mariah Bell have both switched to Rafael Artunyan. Hannah Miller is switching to Tammy Gambill.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
U.S. Jr. champion Tomoki Hiwatashi has changed coaches to Kori Ade in Colorado.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes that's why I asked! Everyone (including me) has been assuming it's true but I haven't seen confirmation.

I thought it was a done deal as well. I found it strange because Mariah has looked so good already this season and wondered, if Raf was the reason or was it Kori and Rohene? Her Long Program has Rohene's name written all over it and if he didn't do the choreography, I'd love to know who did.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I thought it was a done deal as well. I found it strange because Mariah has looked so good already this season and wondered, if Raf was the reason or was it Kori and Rohene? Her Long Program has Rohene's name written all over it and if he didn't do the choreography, I'd love to know who did.

Rohene did her choreography. Both programs.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Rohene did her choreography. Both programs.

That's what I thought. I'm telling you, the man is a genius. So here's the big question. Who will be her new choreographer? I can't see Rohene leaving Kori and certainly not Jason, to go with her. Won't it be weird for Rohene to stay on as her choreographer if she switches to Raf?

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
That's what I thought. I'm telling you, the man is a genius. So here's the big question. Who will be her new choreographer? I can't see Rohene leaving Kori and certainly not Jason, to go with her. Won't it be weird for Rohene to stay on as her choreographer if she switches to Raf?

Not really. Raf choreographs for Country Hicks (who also just made a coaching changes but can't recall to whom) and others who are not students of team Koro.

Also fwiw Kori and Rohene were on the sidelines with her at Glacier Falls this year.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Not really. Raf choreographs for Country Hicks (who also just made a coaching changes but can't recall to whom) and others who are not students of team Koro.

Also fwiw Kori and Rohene were on the sidelines with her at Glacier Falls this year.

With who? Courtney or Mariah? Now, do you call her "Country" or was that a mistake?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
With who? Courtney or Mariah? Now, do you call her "Country" or was that a mistake?

Courtney hicks had a coaching change.

Kori and Rohene were on the sidelines with Mariah at GF. Courtney I believe had to withdraw from GF from wisdom teeth issues. Though I have seen Rohene sitting with her in the K&C when he can in the past.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes that's why I asked! Everyone (including me) has been assuming it's true but I haven't seen confirmation.

I do not like radio silence, I do not like it all.

I assume TSL would not say unless it were so, and they have been right about other coaching changes (Tomoki for one), but it is peculiar that nothing else has come from any other source.

:confused:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Just to remind, Michal Brezina has moved to Rafael Artunyan too. And Han Yan and Li Zijun also changed coaches (or have their choaches changed). So many changes :drama:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Just to remind, Michal Brezina has moved to Rafael Artunyan too. And Han Yan and Li Zijun also changed coaches (or have their choaches changed). So many changes :drama:

Yes, Pang Qing is now a Singles coach with the Chinese fed, with Yan and Li under her tutelage.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Has Mariah's move been confirmed? I haven't seen anything other than the TSL tweet.

... I assume TSL would not say unless it were so, and they have been right about other coaching changes (Tomoki for one), but it is peculiar that nothing else has come from any other source.

:confused:

With today's news that Mariah is assigned to the US Classic :), at least we will be able to see who is coaching her there -- if no confirmation comes out before then.
I agree that TSL's tweet is likely to be true, but for me, it does not rise to the level of confirmation.

My "thing" is that if TSL had wanted to elevate its tweet from juicy gossip into the realm of journalistic reporting, it should have included some kind of sourcing.
If Mariah herself had authorized TSL to spill the beans, the tweet should have made that clear, along the lines of: "We heard from Mariah Bell that ..."
Even if the source wanted to remain anonymous, any kind of limited specificity would have lent credence, such as: "Our source at Lakewood Ice ...;" or at USFS; or at 7K; or at FFSG; or wherever. Something.

Regarding older news being assembled for this thread:

Don't think Joshi Helgesson's move to Orser has been mentioned here yet.

ETA:
... Raf choreographs for ... Hicks ...

I believe you meant that Rohene choreographs for Hicks.
Not picking on what is a small and innocent typo ... just clarifying in case it confuses someone not as Ro-savvy as you.

Last edited:

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Kori and Rohene were on the sidelines with Mariah at GF. Courtney I believe had to withdraw from GF from wisdom teeth issues. Though I have seen Rohene sitting with her in the K&C when he can in the past.

Rohene has been in the K&C with Courtney when he happens to be at the same event, since he has been a choreographer for her. In the past, he would join Courtney's two other coaches, whom she recently left.

Yes - very surprising to see Mariah change. The U.S. classic is coming up really fast. It'll be a whirlwind to see a new face in the K&C with her, just weeks after Glacier Falls.