2018 U.S. Nationals in San Jose, CA, Info | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2018 U.S. Nationals in San Jose, CA, Info

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I arrive on the 1st and plan to be at SAP watching Junior and Sr women practice

:thumbsup: I kind of would like to go to the Solar and watch the Fendis in Novice pairs in the evening. I sat with them and their folks at Sectionals and they are all very nice people, but sometimes you cant do it all, especially with conflicts, but we shall see.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Apparently there is a shuttle now being offered from Fairmont/Marriot to SAP and Solar4 practice: https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/sa...d=1304491&jb=1&camefrom=EMCL_2026372_83318754

It only runs once an hour. I did not check on cost.

Some folks have now received an email saying there is a practice pass for January 1 at SAP which contradicts previous info that the ticket for Solar4 would work as the practice pass for SAP on January 1 :confused: Maybe try calling Eric and see what he says, or check your account and see if a practice pass is available for January 1.

A couple of fans on FSU have commented that Lyft is more popular than Uber and also available for getting around in San Jose.

nguyhm

On the Ice
Google maps shows that SAP center is a 15-20 min (0.7+ miles) walk from Fairmont, Marriott, etc.... I think (and hope) that the weather in San Jose will be nice enough for a brisk walk.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Google maps shows that SAP center is a 15-20 min (0.7+ miles) walk from Fairmont, Marriott, etc.... I think (and hope) that the weather in San Jose will be nice enough for a brisk walk.

Well, I personally am a walker, but many aren't or cant. But that is a short and cheep Uber ride so unless the shuttle goes to the Solar, I wouldnt pay $150. When nats was there last, I walked everywhere to hunt down nice eateries and I felt very safe.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Question: Do you guys think I'll need practice passes to get into the building early for the warm-ups in the morning? I don't think I'll be able to go to any practices, but I wonder if I have to have them if I go to like, let's say, the men's FS warm-ups on Saturday.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Just talked to Eric at SAP (very helpful guy). He is aware that there is not a practice pass for Jan 1st. As of now, the day pass for Solar Arena will be good for entrance into SAP for practices on January 1st. If the situation changes (if they issue a separate practice pass), he will try to let me know.

He also said they saw the first practice schedule today (not the one we have seen posted by Sylvia, dated 11/18). It sounds like there is an update (probably one of several coming).

BTW, Eric is a super nice guy who is overwhelmed by being in the line of fire between miscommunication between the USFS and the SAP center's command staff. I have emailed my contact at the USFS, Brent D. to have it from him directly that we shall be able to enter the SAP center on Monday. Remember, if the palace guards at the SAP center deny you entry, do not yell at them. They are worker bees. Nicely ask for a supervisor/Eric/ ticket booth/ anyone who cares and make sure you have the USFS number in your SmartFone address book. When BD returns, I will get an answer from him. . I will also call up Eric brfore I leave on Friday the 29th. Since they have chosen to NOT issue an official practice pass for Monday, I suppose they can keep us out if they choose. I have seen that before.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I dont mind walking i was just shocked at the price for the shuttle pass. I dont remember it being that much before

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I dont mind walking i was just shocked at the price for the shuttle pass. I dont remember it being that much before

I think the last time (2012) San Jose hosted the shuttle was $125 and it did not go to the Solar4 which was at that time Sharks Ice. I miss the days when the shuttle pass was $30 - $60 and it ran every 20 to 30 minutes!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think the last time (2012) San Jose hosted the shuttle was $125 and it did not go to the Solar4 which was at that time Sharks Ice. I miss the days when the shuttle pass was $30 - $60 and it ran every 20 to 30 minutes!
yeah I think it was $75 in St Paul but yeah... now it's twice that much and doesn't run as fast or far! oh well, walking it is!

TanithandBenFan

On the Ice
The free DASH bus around downtown runs every 15 minutes on weekdays and stops near the hotels and SAP, so I think that's a much better option! On the weekend, I plan to either walk or take the light rail.

Gusmom

Rinkside
Looong-time lurker/reader...
Unexpectedly have a chance to go — my husband checked his miles and said “hey- I can get you to SFO!”
But a bit overwhelmed by logistics. If I don’t get a car trying to figure out where to stay. I don’t want to be wandering around a strange city alone at night but don’t want to be bored when not watching skating either. Not opposed to people watching at official hotels lol. I was so spoiled in Boston (went to nationals & then volunteered at Worlds - nothing will compare to that level of experience lol). Stayed near official hotel both times & it’s such a compact city.
Right now I’m on the fence about going because of logistics. Anyone have recs? Would go Thurs - Sun with priority for Men’s/Dance. If I could find an all access at the cheaper price I’d grab it for practices and go to at least LP for other events but on my own I’ll piece together individual tickets.
Thank is in advance!

TanithandBenFan

On the Ice
Looong-time lurker/reader...
Unexpectedly have a chance to go — my husband checked his miles and said “hey- I can get you to SFO!”
But a bit overwhelmed by logistics. If I don’t get a car trying to figure out where to stay. I don’t want to be wandering around a strange city alone at night but don’t want to be bored when not watching skating either. Not opposed to people watching at official hotels lol. I was so spoiled in Boston (went to nationals & then volunteered at Worlds - nothing will compare to that level of experience lol). Stayed near official hotel both times & it’s such a compact city.
Right now I’m on the fence about going because of logistics. Anyone have recs? Would go Thurs - Sun with priority for Men’s/Dance. If I could find an all access at the cheaper price I’d grab it for practices and go to at least LP for other events but on my own I’ll piece together individual tickets.
Thank is in advance!

The Marriott (official skater hotel) or the Fairmont (site of USFS parties) will be the places to people-watch. Both are convenient to public transportation downtown, so you wouldn't have to walk far and will probably be accompanied by other skating fans making the trek. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
one of my friends is staying at the marriott, she'll walk with us to our hotel the hyatt and then her hotel isn't too far from that so we may all actually walk her to her hotel and then come back to our hotel. I think Hyatt still has availability, just not at the special event rate.