Hanyu: 'I felt comfortable today' | Golden Skate

Hanyu: 'I felt comfortable today'

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In his sensitive and powerful interpretation of “Hope and Legacy” by Joe Hisaishi, Japan’s Yuzuru Hanyu began his program with a smooth quadruple loop and followed up with three more quadruples as well as six triple jumps to win his second World championship. The 2014 Olympic champion earned a world record 223.20 in the free skate for a total combined score of 321.59.

“It was a good free skate,” said Hanyu. “I was disappointed with how I did my short program, of course. So, I forgot everything and changed my mood. I felt comfortable today, not much pressure. I focused on each element and expression. I could have had more speed though.”

More quotes from the top Men's FS

Interspectator

Record Breaker
My family and I all held hands while we watched his FS. And we screamed so loud I was glad we live in the middle of nowhere so that we didn't disturb anyone so late at night. Then we jumped up and down and screamed some more. :love:

Hanyu: I felt comfortable today

I bet you did. :laugh: Your performance was on a different plane of existence from everyone else.

yude

Record Breaker
My family and I all held hands while we watched his FS. And we screamed so loud I was glad we live in the middle of nowhere so that we didn't disturb anyone so late at night. Then we jumped up and down and screamed some more. :love:

My father could not watch Yuzuru skate because he was too nervous :laugh: After the performance was over, he regretted it and asked me to show the video to him :laugh2:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuzu, you were magnificent! :hap10: Our Beanie Baby Pooh was cheering for you, too! :luv17:

Last edited:

narcissa

Record Breaker
Can't believe how relaxed he looked. Can't say the same for the audience, though :biggrin:

I don't claim to have thought that everything was going to be fine from the moment he started, but I will say: Everytime he launched into the air, I KNEW he would land the jump, everything was on axis and perfect.

da96103

Record Breaker
My father could not watch Yuzuru skate because he was too nervous :laugh: After the performance was over, he regretted it and asked me to show the video to him :laugh2:

Sorry Dad, fujitv blocked everything.

da96103

Record Breaker
Can't believe how relaxed he looked. Can't say the same for the audience, though :biggrin:

I don't claim to have thought that everything was going to be fine from the moment he started, but I will say: Everytime he launched into the air, I KNEW he would land the jump, everything was on axis and perfect.

The loudest cheer was after he landed 4S+3T. It seemed that the whole arena is full of well-versed fans who knew the notoriety of this particular jump.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
The loudest cheer was after he landed 4S+3T. It seemed that the whole arena is full of well-versed fans who knew the notoriety of this particular jump.

I can't get over the crowd. I watch his fs without commentary and you could tell every single person was rooting for him. Every jump, and the ina bauer. They were so fired up

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I can't get over the crowd. I watch his fs without commentary and you could tell every single person was rooting for him. Every jump, and the ina bauer. They were so fired up

-And behind the TVs in Japan. The Men's FS broadcast got very high viewership. 22%.:thumbsup:

sallycinnamon

Medalist

Well we were very loud after each jumping passes, but when he jumped the 4S3T right in front of our eyes, we started to cry and scream so incredibly loud that I have the feeling he himself might have heard it.

Last edited:

Nika09

On the Ice
I bet you did. :laugh: Your performance was on a different plane of existence from everyone else.

With 100% :biggrin:
I don't remember exactly which one, but few years ago one of the commentators said about him "I want to see him confident, he's so dangerous when he's confident".
I remember it because I think these words perfectly describe him.

Last edited:

marlet

Rinkside
Yuzu free program was breathtaking, I'm so happy for him, I was crying watching his performance, for all his hard work, he was rewarded.:hap10:

da96103

Record Breaker
Well we were very loud after each jumping passes, but when he jumped the 4S3T right in front of our eyes, we started to cry and scream so incredibly loud that I have the feeling he himself might have heard it.

I just watched the NBC coverage and Terry or Johnny saw you because he said the crowd in the front rows were crying.