Osmond: "I don't want to be at my peak now" | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Osmond: "I don't want to be at my peak now"

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Clearly, the 1A was a mistake. Next time she will maintain her concentration, land it, and beat her PB score. Had she skated perfectly, her LP score would have been higher than 142. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter much whether or not we can call her Autumn Classic skates "clean."

Not sure if it was a mistake DMissD, or she decided to give her body a rest after an unexpected fall and being bruised. For some who may not know, the temp. in Montreal on Saturday was in the 30's Celsius and with humidity, close to 40. That's 85 to 100 Fahrenheit, and the event was held in a smaller rink. Not sure how this affected ice conditions for the last skater of the event, but she fell on a ...stop. Very unusual, as was the weather for a fall day in Montreal.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the case of Osmond, you can say "she singled her 2A" or "she popped her axel". Saying "she downgraded her double axel" is inaccurate and misleading.

Oh come on...that's being kinda nit picky. We all know what was meant and now we've wasted a bunch of the Internet.

I guess though given that Kaetlyn is declaring that she doesn't want to peak now...everyone needs to state the obvious to keep in line :laugh:

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
A pop is an aborted jump, an involuntary opening up of a jump in mid air as the body protects itself from a jump gone wrong. Such action is usually very clearly observable.

A downgrade is decided by the Tech Panel when a skater fails far short of an intended jump in its number of rotations.

When a triple or quad is doubled or singled, it may be intended or unintended. Kaetlyn's 1A was obviously intended to be an 1A when she took off. She may have deviated from an intended 2A, 3A, or 4A on paper but she didn't intend any other jump but the 1A at the time she began the jump. She didn't pop mid way nor did she try rotating more than an 1A and fail.

Neither a pop nor the term singled, doubled and tripled is a part of COP. The TP calls the jump on its rotations and edges, and the judges decide on the GOE.

:dbana:

I said already it's not about ISU call, and not about "how skater felt in the air, and how it looked like". It's about usual speech. Downgraded jump instead of planned jump can be called, in usual speech, whatever you want. It's not about tech panel with downgrading and their calls. It's not about what and how skater did it. For example, let's take another skater. You see the good figure skater like Stanislava Konstantinova at the last JGP, which did 1A instead of 2A, - you don't need to care how and why she did it, but you can say, "Oh, she popped her jump/she singled her jump/she downgraded her jump" - all definitions will be true. Same with 1/2Lz instead of 3Lz, etc.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Oh come on...that's being kinda nit picky. We all know what was meant and now we've wasted a bunch of the Internet.

It's not even about bunches... In the world so many interesting things... And why I'm wasting my time speaking about definitions in figure skating, which has absolutely no sense... :cry:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
:dbana:

I said already it's not about ISU call, and not about "how skater felt in the air, and how it looked like". It's about usual speech. Downgraded jump instead of planned jump can be called, in usual speech, whatever you want. It's not about tech panel with downgrading and their calls. It's not about what and how skater did it. For example, let's take another skater. You see the good figure skater like Stanislava Konstantinova at the last JGP, which did 1A instead of 2A, - you don't need to care how and why she did it, but you can say, "Oh, she popped her jump/she singled her jump/she downgreaded her jump" - all definitions will be true. Same with 1/2Lz instead of 3Lz, etc.

The nitpicking started with claims of overscoring because of Kaetlyn's 1A, which is a technical scoring issue. I stated she was duely credited for an 1A worth a total 1.29 and asked how that affected the overall marks.

Now this nitpicking on a very successful season debut continues here. Outside of official scoring system, you can call a jump anything but I still think there is a difference between a pop and all sorts of "downgrades".

There is no denying that it's not in Kaetlyn's planned choreography to do an 1A but technically she did. She didn't pop. She downgraded, by your lingo, a jump voluntarily, and that's the focus of some here when in fact she landed 7 triples in a LP with no major errors this early in the season, and won a gold medal as a bonus. That is progress, a success, a winning performance, a good start to an important season, and whatever else non ISU terms we can use. But let's argue endlessly on a missed rotation that she's unlikely to repeat. There must be more angles to cover on this jump.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Lots of back and forth about things that hardly matter.

Bottom line: Kaetlyn got 7 triples done, cleanly or not, for the first time in her career, AND early in a season. Oh, and she's a World silver medalist with only 6 triples anyway. :)

I'm on the fence about Swan Lake, but let's be honest, it doesn't really matter and the judges don't care. It's about who lands the jumps and who doesn't. Consistency matters, and hopefully Kaetlyn will continue to show us improvements, as she has the past 12 months, throughout this season to both the program and consistency. The sky is the limit, and I'll be there with her every step of the way. :yahoo:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
in fact she landed 7 triples in a LP with no major errors this early in the season

This isn't a fact.

Turning a 2Axel to a 1Axel is a "major error", in terms of the points. She lost approximately 3 points there from what a good 2Axel would get. It's the same as a fall on the element, as far as the technical points are concerned. And she actually DID fall in the program, in a way that severely disrupted the performance, even if it wasn't on a technical element. Plus the bad lutz landing (and questionable takeoff edge to begin with), plus no 3-jump combo.

Whatever you want to call it, she made 4 significant mistakes. Even if you want to classify none of them as individually being "major errors", 4 combined mistakes is bigger than a single "major error". It wasn't a clean skate and it WAS very flawed. Majorly flawed, someone could even say.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Her competition result is being used as a talking point to push her as a medal contender at the Olympics. The field is very deep and I don't think her showing at the competition would deserve a medal, based upon what others have already done early in the season. Higuchi, Zagitova, and Medvedeva have all outdone her. So as much as she wants to say "I don't want to peak now", EVERY other competitor in the field can say that too. She is being pushed by Canada as someone who automatically deserves a medal if she skates clean and I don't feel her skating is deserving of such a thing. That is the issue.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm not displeased about Ladies from 3 continents having medal chances and that's already been the case at most Olympics from 1994 onward to begin with.

Yes, let the cream rise to the crop indeed, like Mai Mihara who should have beaten Osmond in the LP at this recent competition (or at least been very close in score), but was instead 10 points lower because of the huge inflation for Osmond.

iamchrislao

On the Ice
I had mixed feelings about this program. It really is so generic. It isn't that she is, as others say, "not the ballerina type" coz i agree she is a strong swan. People of all shapes and sizes can be ballerinas. Lovely Kaetlyn, lovely skating. Nothing special about the program though and it really isn't a signature piece for her. Skaters should go for signature pieces (that SP is just wow! as was her LP last season) especially in an Olympic season. But but but.... if this early in the season the elements are there, why argue against it? She is obviously comfortable with it and performs the heck out of it. The scores are nothing to whine about..pays the bills so the speak. Oh well. Anyway I'd have this over Medvedev's FP any day! any day! So if they both go clean, my vote goes to Kaetlyn.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Her competition result is being used as a talking point to push her as a medal contender at the Olympics. The field is very deep and I don't think her showing at the competition would deserve a medal, based upon what others have already done early in the season. Higuchi, Zagitova, and Medvedeva have all outdone her. So as much as she wants to say "I don't want to peak now", EVERY other competitor in the field can say that too. She is being pushed by Canada as someone who automatically deserves a medal if she skates clean and I don't feel her skating is deserving of such a thing. That is the issue.

BOP......Have you ever competed in a sport, or any other activity like an audition. I never walked into an audition worried about who else could sing as well as I could. My vocal teacher always told us that you need to focus on what you can do and not worry about anyone else. Kaetlyn needs to take this season one step at a time. This was step one and she completed it in style.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Of course I have and "focusing on yourself" has nothing to do with what is being talked about here. Every competitor needs to take it "one step at a time". Nothing meaningful is being said by statements like this. The other competitors who are taking it "one step at a time" are showing better performances than Osmond and there's nothing that points to Osmond having better peak potential. The Russian girls have their backloaded jump layouts to gain technical advantage on and people like Higuchi and Nagasu are seriously training 3Axel's, with the latter already showing good success on it early in the season.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Of course I have and "focusing on yourself" has nothing to do with what is being talked about here. Every competitor needs to take it "one step at a time". Nothing meaningful is being said by statements like this. The other competitors who are taking it "one step at a time" are showing better performances than Osmond and there's nothing that points to Osmond having better peak potential. The Russian girls have their backloaded jump layouts to gain technical advantage on and people like Higuchi and Nagasu are seriously training 3Axel's, with the latter already showing good success on it early in the season.

Kaetlyn and her Coach are focused on Kaetlyn.....If the Russian girl's sweep the podium, than so be it. What do you expect Kaetlyn to do...Not Try? You clearly know a lot about skating and I'm confused by your comments regarding Kaetlyn. Actually, I wonder why you bother to comment about her at all. There are a ton of stories and threads that involve tons of skaters. I just wish you were more positive when this thread is about Kaetlyn and the headline is "I don't want to be at my peak now."

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm confused by your comments regarding Kaetlyn.

Not sure what to tell you. I think she is overscored and I think statements like the ones in the article are nothing but fluff. I'm interested in real analysis of the Ladies skating field and not overlooking issues just to hold up a certain fan-favorite competitor. When Osmond herself says "I got the 7 Triples done", and actually one of the Triples was poorly landed, I'm going to call her out on it. No you didn't get 7 Triples done honey, your Lutz was not good, that wasn't a "completed" Triple. Do better next time and don't tell us "I have the opening of the program in my back pocket now and want to do it like that from now on".

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kaetlyn and her Coach are focused her Kaetlyn.....If the Russian girl's sweep the podium, than so be it. What do you expect Kaetlyn to do...Not Try? You clearly know a lot about skating and I'm confused by your comments regarding Kaetlyn. Actually, I wonder why you bother to comment about at all. There are a ton of stories and threads that involve tons of skaters. I just wish you were more positive when this thread is about Kaetlyn. and the headline is "I don't want to be at my peak now."

I think you are missing BoP's point. I don't think he would criticize Kaetlyn for getting some of the biggest scores ever if she was performing at the highest level possible with no errors. Or at least to her highest level possible. That means less errors than we see the skaters, who many see on equal footing as her, get in similar events.

If she shows up and wows any event with a magical performance then it's easy to see why the judges will boost her score to compete with the likes of Medvedeva and her TES assault. The more consistently she does it then the more likley the scores will rise. The same should be said of anyone who performs excellent IMO. Kaetlyn's great but if she skates like she did at her last event there are several skaters that should be able to surpass her. Skaters who also have the same potential and show similar levels of excellence.

I'm pretty undecided on her programs at this point...but I tend to change my mind so who knows. I'm easily won over at times :laugh:

moriel

Record Breaker
Kaetlyn and her Coach are focused her Kaetlyn.....If the Russian girl's sweep the podium, than so be it. What do you expect Kaetlyn to do...Not Try? You clearly know a lot about skating and I'm confused by your comments regarding Kaetlyn. Actually, I wonder why you bother to comment about at all. There are a ton of stories and threads that involve tons of skaters. I just wish you were more positive when this thread is about Kaetlyn and the headline is "I don't want to be at my peak now."

I'm fine if she wins.
And yeah, i expect Kaetlyn to try. Increase the difficulty of her programs. Backload, tano and rippon. Add more transitions. Maybe I didnt pay attention, but did she actually do any of those this year?
Because even Medvedeva changed her layout and moved her combo to the second half of the FS.

I'm fine if she wins.

And yeah, i expect Kaetlyn to try. Increase the difficulty of her programs. Backload, tano and rippon. Add more transitions. Maybe I didnt pay attention, but did she actually do any of those this year?...

I think she did put more jumps in the second half, didn't she? Not necessarily to backload per se, but because it fit the structure of the music better?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm not displeased about Ladies from 3 continents having medal chances and that's already been the case at most Olympics from 1994 onward to begin with.

Yes, let the cream rise to the crop indeed, like Mai Mihara who should have beaten Osmond in the LP at this recent competition (or at least been very close in score), but was instead 10 points lower because of the huge inflation for Osmond.

ermm no... how many triples did she land? 6 and one with edge call... and i am sorry... i may not be an expert but being in the arena, it was clear who the stronger skater was and who had the best performance.... mai, and I am sorry to say that, isn't in the same league at all.

but at least, now, we know why some people are disparaging Kaetlyn : because they wanted their favourite skater Mai to win.. well.. she didn't... and she shouldn't have won... end of the story.