Osmond: "I don't want to be at my peak now" | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Osmond: "I don't want to be at my peak now"

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Can we not breathe Asada and Osmond in the same sentence please. Especially that hallowed Sochi freeskate. I still believe Asada should have received credit for that back end triple loop but whatever.

Well, the point I was making is that there are a lot performances that people regard as clean, or "Osmond landed 7 triples" or "Asada landed 8 triples"... but the reality is they were not 7/8 clean triples and had slight technical flaws. Probably under 6.0, Mao would have been regarded as the first skater to land 8 triples, though when URs were less scrutinized.

And landing cleanly is subjective anyways. Vern Taylor and Kurt Browning are generally regarded as having, respectively, the first triple axel and first quad ever landed in competition. However both of the landings had turnouts and weren't clean. Miki Ando's 4S (the only land so far to have ever landed a quad), was arguably under-rotated as well. Nowadays, when we're talking about a skater doing 7 triples, it usually refers to doing the jumps cleanly without errors/URs on all 7. And if the skater messes up a 2A, that's a notable error, but obviously isn't part of the failed triples. Same with a skater going cleanly. If Osmond had a more solid lutz landing and did the 2A at the end, it obviously wouldn't have been a clean performance given the fall. (And personally, a skater doesn't have to get level 4s on everything to go "clean", in my books... I also disregard edge calls/leg wraps/mule kicks/etc. since "clean triples" to me refers to the landing quality.)

TheCzar

On the Ice
Well, the point I was making is that there are a lot performances that people regard as clean, or "Osmond landed 7 triples" or "Asada landed 8 triples"... but the reality is they were not 7/8 clean triples and had slight technical flaws. Probably under 6.0, Mao would have been regarded as the first skater to land 8 triples, though when URs were less scrutinized.

And landing cleanly is subjective anyways. Vern Taylor and Kurt Browning are generally regarded as having, respectively, the first triple axel and first quad ever landed in competition. However both of the landings had turnouts and weren't clean. Miki Ando's 4S (the only land so far to have ever landed a quad), was arguably under-rotated as well. Nowadays, when we're talking about a skater doing 7 triples, it usually refers to doing the jumps cleanly without errors/URs on all 7. And if the skater messes up a 2A, that's a notable error, but obviously isn't part of the failed triples. Same with a skater going cleanly. If Osmond had a more solid lutz landing and did the 2A at the end, it obviously wouldn't have been a clean performance given the fall. (And personally, a skater doesn't have to get level 4s on everything to go "clean", in my books... I also disregard edge calls/leg wraps/mule kicks/etc. since "clean triples" to me refers to the landing quality.)

I know what you mean. I just still bitter about that because had Asada skated in the last group, those bogus calls wouldn't have been called. Edge on the lutz yes, but the combinations were borderline to full imo. Plus- post Vancouver, SPECIALLY IN 12-13,13-14 Asada's jumps were fine. They weren't as big as they used to be but the UR calls were more and suspicious. She never URed as bad as Wagner, or Nagasu during those seasons. But then again, she was in Russia. She had been unbeatable for the second season running up to the Olympics.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I believe BOPs point is that she did a clean SP with a 3F-3T for the first time. I don't think he's saying she did her first 3F-3T clean.

I was curious so looked at her 2015-2016 competition when she would have attempted the combo.

She did 3F-3T at Skate Canada 2015 SP, but she missed her spin (it was invalidated for some reason), so technically not a "clean program" per se.
She also did 3F-3T at Four Continents 2016 SP but it got -GOE and she singled an axel, so that wasn't a clean program either.

Out of four international competitions (and hence 8 attempts at the combo), she only did 3F-3T twice. Not exactly a consistent combo for her at the time. That's obviously changed since then.

It was invalidated because she fell on it. Very unfortunate after nailing the first two jumping passes.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
It was invalidated because she fell on it. Very unfortunate after nailing the first two jumping passes.

And in her first skating competition after a year in recovery Alchamei, it was unfortunate but not unexpected. Getting back to competing and to be even on the ice that year, was both a goal and a triumph.

Look at how far she has come and overcame. ;)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I have to be honest, I really don't understand the criticism about Osmond and her programs. She, along with Ashley and Carolina, are probably the best in the current field at listening to, and moving with, various types music. I think she successfully expresses the moods of her SP and LP, which are very different. I don't think it's realistic to expect her programs to look like 6.0 programs, or even pre-2014 programs in which transitional content wasn't quite as important as it is now.

Ender

Match Penalty
Osmond’S skating suits the modern style more than the classical ones. But I guess she has to skate to a classical program during the Olympic because it’s traditional. I still prefer her SP over LP.