The "What If" Thread | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The "What If" Thread

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What would have happened with Paul Wylie's skating career had he not won the silver medal in the 1992 Winter Olympics? Thank goodness he thrived as a pro! :luv17:

Had the Winter Olympics taken place in 1996, would Todd & Michelle have medalled & won gold? On the other hand, thank goodness they had long competitive careers! :love:

TheCzar

On the Ice
what if Asada skated clean at the Sochi SP and in turn made a couple of mistakes in the long? Also possibly the biggest what if- what if Asada was allowed to skate at Turin in 2006?

what if Kim made a couple of errors in her FS at Vancouver, continuing her usual cycle of not skating both clean programs?

what if Kostner didn't squander her freeskate in Saitama in 2014?

what if Gracie Gold skated clean at Sochi? or at Boston? Could she have won silver at the very least?

what if Medvedeva didn't survive puberty? Would Pogorilaya be Russia's number 1?

what if Ashley Wagner retired after 2010?

what if Tsurskaya never became injury prone and skated in seniors ahead of Medvedeva?

what if Mirai never left Frank?

what if Gracie trained with Arutunian to begin with?

what if Asada never left Arutunian?

what if Kim had a different coach?

what if Eteri never coached Lipnitskaia?

what if Averbukh had better taste, or just that- taste?

Eeyora

Final Flight
What if Tonya stayed with Dody Teachmen?

And jokingly because ive mentioned the keen so many times and the media made such a fuss... What if Michelle went to the opening ceremonies and stayed in the Olympic Cillage in Nagano?

What if Bobek skated clean in Nagano?

What if John Nicks didn’t retire and coached Ashley through 3
2014?

What if They sent Kovtun in 2014?

What if Jeremy Abbot always skated cleanly? Same with Alyssa

What if Michelle placed second in the short in SLC and Hughes out of the top 5?

What if Jaimie and David weren’t given second gold medals in SLC? Would they still turn pro?

What if Nancy won in Lillehammer? Would Oksana’s future be different?

What if Tanja S didn’t withdraw in Nagano?

What M/D won in Lillehammer? Would he try for another gold?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
What if Tonya and Nancy's placements in the 1992 Olympics had been switched... how differently would figure skating have unfolded?

Eeyora

Final Flight
I’m having too much fun with this thread?

What if Jaimie and David kept Orchid?

What If Jeff Buttle continued into 2010?

What it Jill Trenary never got injured? Would Yamaguchi and Harding surpass her?

What if Caryn Kadavy didnt have to withdraw in 1988?

What it Johnny didn’t get into to commentating? Would Tara make it on her own?

What if Linda Fratianne did go
To Carlo Fassi!

What if Todd wasn’t injured in 92?

Eeyora

Final Flight
What if Denis Ten had a more conventional training routine / schedule ?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Michelle skated after Tara in Nagano?

Michelle hadn't been injured in Torino? (Shizuka won with only 5 triples and no 3-3...)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What if Plushenko hadn't had to withdraw from Men's Singles in Sochi?

This is one of the most intriguing. Given the series of meltdowns in the men's long program, Plushy actually could have won.

princessalica

Final Flight
What if Midori hadn't split the US streak at the 1992 Olympics - (Kristy - 1st, Nancy-3rd, Tonya 4th)

LOL, also what if the Olympics had a Pewter Medal? There would be a lot more US ladies with Olympic medals, - Gracie, Mirai, Sasha in 2002,

mrrice

Record Breaker
What if Midori hadn't split the US streak at the 1992 Olympics - (Kristy - 1st, Nancy-3rd, Tonya 4th)

LOL, also what if the Olympics had a Pewter Medal? There would be a lot more US ladies with Olympic medals, - Gracie, Mirai, Sasha in 2002,

Todd Eldredge would have won Pewter in 1998...He just missed the podium.:sad21:

Eeyora

Final Flight
Todd Eldredge would have won Pewter in 1998...He just missed the podium.:sad21:

And Jill Trenary in 88, Christopher Bowman in 92 and Blumberg and Seibert in 1984. Ina and Dungen in 98

Surya in 94 and Maria in 98!
Not to mention Bourne and Kratz

macy

Record Breaker
What I appreciate about Ashley is her longevity. I was at Nationals in 2011 and she did not have a good event. After just missing the team in 2010, I was expecting her to come back with a vengeance yet, she dropped to 6th place. Whoever motivated her to keep going following that season is owed a huge thank you from US skating fans. I had no idea that she'd blossom into a World Medalist so late in her career.

absolutely! I think she's always had the fire, she just didn't know how to use it to her best advantage and mentally use it to the best of her abilities. her longevity is certainly something that isn't seen often in skating at all and I really admire her for that. I think the only other lady still going at that age is kostner at the moment.

macy

Record Breaker
What if there was no limit on the number of skaters from one country who could compete at an event??

not skating related, but this made me think of Jordyn wieber at the 2012 Olympics. what if there were no 2 per country rule and she would have competed in the all around?

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
New one: what if Satoko didn't get injured last year?

What if Gracie Gold never got sent to JGP Estonia in 2011?

mrrice

Record Breaker
What if Sasha stayed with Tarasova?

This is an EXCELLENT question. It's really too bad that situation didn't work out. Sasha had her best programs with her and I don't think she and Robin ever gelled. Even when Sasha was great in the SP at Worlds and then again at Marshall's, she and Robin didn't seem that close during the KnC moments. Oh well.