Wagner talks programs, US ladies, and more | Golden Skate

Wagner talks programs, US ladies, and more

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USA's Ashley Wagner talks about her performances at 2017 Skate Canada, refreshing her routines, struggles last season, and more.

https://youtu.be/yxI7dZ7m1sk

What color dress should she use for her "Moulin Rouge" routine? Take the poll here!

What are your thoughts on her performances at Skate Canada? What do you get from her mind set in the interview?

Last edited:
Ashley made an interesting point about her short program at Skate Canada. That she slipped back into "ice show mode" and did not step up into "competition mode," where everything has to be sharper.

She gives a great interview.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I'm still thinking that she is not in the same position as Yuzuru Hanyu bringing back old programs multiple times and pretending to see the big components.

Both her SP and LP are good programs, but it's something i knew two years ago when she got the silver in Boston. Now new chapter, new programs.

It's weird because i want to like her: at Sochi she didn't have any chance to medal while two years ago it was one of the contenders for the podium at the 2018 Olympics, and now i can already see 5-6 skaters ahead.

I'm hoping that at some point maybe before Nationals she will change at least the SP with something new, basically what Gracie did in 2014.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Ashley, if you're reading this: try a green dress for the FS. Then you'd play the Green Fairy and not Satine this time, for a different spin on the musical choice.

Trewyn

Medalist
Thanks for this great interview GoldenSkate! Ashley sounds really positive and smart. I could watch her answer your (great!) questions all day long.

I'm still not a 100% convinced about Moulin Rouge - even though I thought she did look happy to be skating to it at Skate Canada, and that's really important too. And I think I know what she means about needing something "negative" or "dramatic" in her long program. I would say that's also what worked so well with her S&D program and Black Swan - she was performing strong, female characters that were also a bit evil/twisted.
I think her choice to go back to Hip Hip makes sense. If I want to convince my friends who never watch figure skating, I always make them watch Ashley's 2016 worlds SP.

Since we might be nearing her last competitive season I guess my inner fangirl is just sad about the fact that I may never get to see Ashley skate to something like the James Bond short program or the Game of Thrones long program that I've secretly been yearning for.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ted did a great job with Ashley, asking all the things we'd like to know. She does do a great interview and is pretty self aware.

I'd like to see her in a variation of the Marissa Castelli sparkly halter dress for HHCC, but a different color, maybe a deep burgundy.

Loved what she said about Gracie and Mirai, too. Glad she and Gracie are much closer now than in the past.

SkaterX

On the Ice
I think comparing her situation to Hanyu's is a bit of a reach considering that he won gold in Sochi and has such technically difficult programs...

When your main strength is emoting and showmanship reusing the same old programs is not going to work in your favor.

stella luna

Final Flight
Ashley, if you're reading this: try a green dress for the FS. Then you'd play the Green Fairy and not Satine this time, for a different spin on the musical choice.

I give you points for creativity, but I think she'd end up looking like Peter Pan's sister.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is a dynamite interview with a dynamite lady. I'm impressed with Ted Flett's questions and interview skills, too. It was very cool how he memorized that long answer from Evgenia saying why she looks up to Ashley for the versatility in her ice presence.

Something I hadn't heard before: Ted quoted Rafael saying after the SP that there's "no issue" with Ashley's training or conditioning. She's ready. She just has to put it together in the moment. If Raf said that, I'm not worried about other people questioning it.

I like her mind set in this interview. She's down to earth, acknowledges the work she has to do, and is both realistic and positive about that work.

megenta

Rinkside
She probably also thinks that those two programs were her best programs, and most people who watch FS at the Olympics don't normally watch FS, so they are new to most people watching her perform them. So it doesn't matter that they aren't new to everyone. I don't think that the concussions play a big role, she wouldn't be able to compete at a high level in a demanding sport with a serious brain injury.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Great interview! I like how honest she is, and she seems very focused on her goals. I also really appreciated what she said about Mirai and Gracie!

I don't think what she's doing can really be compared to what Yuzuru is doing though, as he has really upped the technical content of his programs and she has not.

Chris_E

On the Ice
Great interview! Well thought out questions and answers from Ashley. I really would love to see Ashley and Mirai make top 3 at Nationals and of course the Olympics. It would be fitting after 2014.

Kirei

On the Ice
Great interview! Her comments about Gracie are very kind and thoughtful.
It's a bit of a reach to compare recycling her programs to Hanyu though, even if I kinda dislike both decisions. Hanyu is leading the Men's field, current world champion, and upgrading his tech - it gives him more leeway.
Heh It was sort of amusing to see her balance between candidly admitting that Skate Canada was kinda a mess while still putting a positive PR spin on it.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great interview! Well thought out questions and answers from Ashley. I really would love to see Ashley and Mirai make top 3 at Nationals and of course the Olympics. It would be fitting after 2014.

It would be! When she answered Ted that Mirai deserves to be there (if she, like all the US girls, works on URs, etc.) ... how honest and brave that was! If there were a repeat of 2014 nats, one could point to her answer.

Ashley said in her Reddit AMA that now she sometimes feels like the mom in the locker room. I think she's taken that attitude on in her statements about her competitors. That isn't new, though. Whenever she's asked directly about her competitors, she says something positive and encouraging. The best example is what she said about Gracie's discouraged comments after Worlds 2016.

My brain was too tired to make a connection last night. But when Raf said that there's no issue with Ashley's training or conditioning, and she's ready, I thought that was interesting. He doesn't hesitate to say if he thinks she's been shirking 100% or even lazy. So that comment really struck me.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great interview! Her comments about Gracie are very kind and thoughtful.
It's a bit of a reach to compare recycling her programs to Hanyu though, even if I kinda dislike both decisions. Hanyu is leading the Men's field, current world champion, and upgrading his tech - it gives him more leeway.
Heh It was sort of amusing to see her balance between candidly admitting that Skate Canada was kinda a mess while still putting a positive PR spin on it.

I don't think she was "comparing" herself to Hanyu at all. (Several people have used that word, not just you. :)) Her thoughts didn't seem to take that leap. She just looked straight at the camera ... at any naysayers and critics ... and said, Yuzuru has his reasons (implied) for reprising two programs, and she has her reasons, and it's okay for both of us.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Regarding Ashley's comment about Yuzu. The way I interpreted her comment was she was just making a comparison about reusing programs and she mentioned Yuzu.
I do not think she was comparing her record with Yuzu.

artsciboy

On the Ice
Great interview! I like how honest she is, and she seems very focused on her goals. I also really appreciated what she said about Mirai and Gracie!

I don't think what she's doing can really be compared to what Yuzuru is doing though, as he has really upped the technical content of his programs and she has not.

In fairness to Ashley, she can't do much else to up the technical content of her programs. In fact, all ladies not attempting the 3axel or a quad (which is all of the top contenders except Mirai - if you want to count Mirai as a top contender) are "maxed out" in terms of technical content - 7 triples and 2 double axels. Ashley's base value technical content if she hits all of the levels and rotates is actually in the upper half of the top contenders, so she's certainly not lacking in terms of her planned content. I suppose given that now she's doing Rippon 2toes on some jumping passes, she did indeed update her technical content. Great interview Ted and Ashley!!!