Help sought for 1991 WC Ladies SP order and skater ID | Golden Skate

Help sought for 1991 WC Ladies SP order and skater ID

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone interested in identifying some skaters from small clues so I can refine the skate order for 1991 WC Ladies SP in Dortmund? I do not have enough information/nor videos to place everyone, but maybe I can get the order a bit more correct. Any help would be appreciated, perhaps someone who watched it live can remember something. Any archivists out there?
Here are my findings. Also link to the entire event in the rewatch.

In order of skate:CluesSkaters not yet in order:
1 Milena Marinovich BUL - FNRCommentary says she was only 1 missed during AndradeIn order of finish:
2 Marta Andrade ESP- FNR8 Marina Kielmann GER from 91 EC
3 Tonya Harding USA | v2 | v3Mentions skating early10 Julia Vorobieva URS from 91 EC
4 Lenka Kulovaná TCHOn ice as Harding departs after SP11 Junko Yaginuma JPN 90-91 NHK
512 Chen Lu CHN 91 JRWC
6 Cathrin Degler GER - FNRFinal skater, warms up at end of her skate13 Simone Lang GER 89 SA
14 Mari Asanuma JPN 92 JNats
7 Diana Marcos MEX - FNRPart of a 3-skater block16 Anisette Torp-Lind DEN 90 WC
8 Marion Krijgsman NED -FNRSeen on ice as Diana exits19 Natalia Gorbenko URS
9 Zuzanna Szwed POLSeen on ice after Marion20 Lily Lyoonjung Lee ROK
10 Simone Lang GERhot pink bodice with multicolored skirt and single sleeve, big hair
11saturated blue dressFree skating not reached (FNR)
12 23 Tamara Téglássy HUN -FNR 90 WC
24 Beatrice Gelmini ITA - FNR 90 WC
13 Lisa Sargeant CANCBC coverage after Harding – also next two clues25 Helene Persson SWE - FNR 90 WC
14 Patricia Neske GERBlonde skater in blue seen on warmup with Sargeant27 Sabrina Tschudi SUI - FNR
15 Big jump girl in red/black on warmup with Sargeant28 Željka Čižmešija YUG - FNR 90 WC
16 29 Mila Kajas FIN - FNR
17 34 Isabelle Balhan BEL - FNR
18 Nancy Kerrigan USA | v2 | v3Seen on warmup, last skater of the group35 Christine Czerni AUT - FNR
36 Rosanna Blong NZL - FNR
19 Laetitia Hubert FRA - FNRCommentary says she skated before Surya & Midori
20 Anita Thorenfeldt NOR – FNRblack dress & tights gold trim / warm-up with Bonaly
21 Surya Bonaly FRABBC/CBC/NBC
22 Midori Ito JPN | v2 | v3 | v4BBC/CBC/NBC
23 Tamara Heggen AUS - FNRred dress w/gold trim / entering ice after Midori exits
24 Joanne Conway GBRSeen on warm-up with Bonaly
31 Josée Chouinard CANIn final group per CBC
36 Kristi Yamaguchi USA | v2Commentary says she is skater 36

Last edited:

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
tonya harding 1991 SP EC 1991.png
The girls on the left are flower girls. ID has been made as Lenka Kulovana TCH
Apparently she changed dresses since 91 EC where she wore red.

Last edited:

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bonaly with skater in black warm-up.png
Who else was in Surya's flight?
I'm now pretty sure this is Anita Thorenfeldt of Norway

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I do remember them making a big deal about Tonya skating early. She had a great SP. If she had done her Skate America LP and Worlds SP, she would have been the world champion. That's how skating goes.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know if this is the right event, but I found this on YouTube

Yes I have that listed in the rewatch and used it and the CBC broadcast for part of what I have done. Unfortunately that doesn't help me with these skaters who were most likely European skaters which are rarely shown in North American broadcasts unless they are in the medal hunt.

The skaters I am looking for are all lovely skaters and I hope videos of them will show up someday - after all I have video of the last place girl so it looks like ESP did show much of the event other than the first girl.

I guess I am hoping some European fan will remember them and be able to let me know who is who.

Last edited:

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Could Yulia (Julia) Gorbenko be one of these skaters?
Finally found a picture of her - she was the 1986 World Junior Champion.
Natalia Gorbenko 1986 World Jrs.png

Last edited:

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The skater in red is Tamara Heggen from Australia.
She skated a piece of music from The Firebird.
Thank you! Neske really had me puzzled since she seemed to be in two places. I thought Lenka wore her hair differently, but I guess I was wrong. I wish I could have found Tamara. I am curious, were you at the event or did you watch it?

Merry

Rinkside
Cathrin Degler's video shows most of the next warmup group entering the ice behind her starting at 3:10:

5 skaters go past:
-Zuzanna Szwed
-a girl in a hot pink bodice with multi-colored skirt and single sleeve
-Diana Marcos (rainbow costume)
-Marion Krijgsman
-a girl in very saturated blue (probably this is Nancy Kerrigan)

I'm a bit perplexed by the one-sleeve girl. It's certainly not Lisa Sargent or Patricia Neske. Could they possibly have been in a later group?

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cathrin Degler's video shows most of the next warmup group entering the ice behind her starting at 3:10:

5 skaters go past:
-Zuzanna Szwed
-a girl in a hot pink bodice with multi-colored skirt and single sleeve
-Diana Marcos (rainbow costume)
-Marion Krijgsman
-a girl in very saturated blue (probably this is Nancy Kerrigan)

I'm a bit perplexed by the one-sleeve girl. It's certainly not Lisa Sargent or Patricia Neske. Could they possibly have been in a later group?
Thanks for your eagle eyes. I’m gonna have to watch this again. This is why I welcome help. I may have to adjust the groups as needed. Sometimes the groups are not shown in order on the broadcast and this makes it challenging. Most of the skaters you mention are in a later group so I will reassess.

Degler is said to be the last skater of the first group and that the coverage will give us the second. That means the Sargeant group must be third or later group. I wish I had time for this puzzle right now, but i will work on this. Believe it or not it is kinda fun for me.

The girl in blue is definitely not Nancy Kerrigan. Her dress was actually purple - I have seen it in other events.

Last edited:

IanF

Spectator
Thank you! Neske really had me puzzled since she seemed to be in two places. I thought Lenka wore her hair differently, but I guess I was wrong. I wish I could have found Tamara. I am curious, were you at the event or did you watch it?
You’re welcome! I’ve watched it live in italian tv in 1991.
I have a VHS and I used to watch it again and again back in the 90s.
I wish i could find it somewhere, the first couple of groups were missing but all the rest was there.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You’re welcome! I’ve watched it live in italian tv in 1991.
I have a VHS and I used to watch it again and again back in the 90s.
I wish i could find it somewhere, the first couple of groups were missing but all the rest was there.
Wow thank you for sharing. As you can see our USA coverage was very limited. I was lucky because I live near the Canadian border and got to see CAN coverage too. Tired me missed that the red dress for for the free.