Miyahara wins gold in Lake Placid | Golden Skate

Miyahara wins gold in Lake Placid

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Japan’s Satoko Miyahara won gold at 2017 Skate America in Lake Placid, New York, while teammate Kaori Sakamoto earned the silver—her first medal in her grand prix season debut. USA’s Bradie Tennell rose from fourth to capture the bronze in her first grand prix event.

“I am very happy and satisfied with today’s performance and to get my best scores,” said Miyahara. “After the injury, this is the first big step. The most important event, the Japanese nationals, are coming next month. I’ll keep working hard to be able to do my best.”
“After I was not satisfied with the Russian Grand Prix, I practiced so hard for a few weeks and this second try (here) gives me confidence for the future,” Sakamoto said. “In the Short Program, I did a mistake on the spin and I have so much room to improve my performance – the jumps, the spins and the grade of execution.”
“It was exactly what I’ve been practicing,” said Tennell on her performance. “I was just really happy I was able to put it out there. I feel like I did my job.”

See article for more quotes from both the short and long.

What are your thoughts on the Ladies' event? Who do you think showed the most improvement since last season?

Last edited:
Miyahara was a dream. Sakamoto and Tennell hit everything with authority. Even skaters who didn't win, like Gabrielle Daleman and Karen Chen had wonderful moments. Great competition.

penguin

On the Ice
Looking at the glass half-full in an underwhelming competition, I have to say, at least it was a nice surprise to have the podium totally thwart expectations? You definitely get that Olympic season vibe in the air, where things matter a little too much sometimes and it throws off energy/rhythm/expectations.

charlotte14

Medalist
WITH THE HELP OF TECH PANEL

I respect her for her massive effort. But I don't think people should deny had it been another tech panel, Kaori would have won.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
After this competition I think the russian Ladies Team for Pyeongchang will be Medvedeva, Zagitova and Sotskova.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Congratulations, Satoko!

Her skating is beautiful, seamless, graceful. Her comeback from injury is magnificent. Her programs are so beautiful and cohesive. I especially love her short program.

ks777

Record Breaker
WITH THE HELP OF TECH PANEL

I respect her for her massive effort. But I don't think people should deny had it been another tech panel, Kaori would have won.

yeah you have mentioned the same thing like 100 times in so many threads. :yawn:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Still waiting on an legit explanation on why only Satoko got no reviews for her jumps....

Perhaps because the tech panel only reviews jumps that they deem worthy of review, and doesn't review jumps that a fan/spectator/Johnny Weir's "special top secret spy board" deems worthy of review?

I agree that they missed some tech calls. But I also don't know if it's possible to prove that Satoko got no reviews for her jumps.

They might have only reviewed a few jumping passes in the time she was leaving the ice and getting her scores in the Kiss and Cry (it was about 2.5 minutes), and deemed them sufficiently rotated.

Unless someone has concrete proof that the tech panel did not actually review her jumps at all? Like does someone have a fan vid or something that shows what the tech panel were doing from when Satoko finished her skate to when she received her scores?

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Perhaps because the tech panel only reviews jumps that they deem worthy of review, and doesn't review jumps that a spectator (or Johnny Weir's "special top secret spy board" :laugh:) deems worthy of review?

I agree that they missed some tech calls. But I also don't know if it's possible to prove that Satoko got no reviews for her jumps.

They might have only reviewed 1 or 2 jumping passes in the time she was leaving the ice and getting her scores in the Kiss and Cry (it was about 2.5 minutes), and deemed them sufficiently rotated.

Unless someone has concrete proof that the tech panel did not actually review her jumps at all? Like does someone have a fan vid or something of the tech panel from when Satoko finished her skate to when she received her scores?

:scratch2:
Often commentators get to see on their screens what the judges/TPs are doing. They see the PCS judges give before the scores come out, or - as is relevant here - they see which technical elements were marked for review during the skate. So, to be specific, also which jumps were called for review. And NBC people said say saw that no jumps in her LP were marked.
You can, of course, assume the NBC crew is lying I guess, as they didn't send it with a few screenshots.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
:scratch2:
Often commentators get to see on their screens what the judges/TPs are doing. They see the PCS judges give before the scores come out, or - as is relevant here - they see which technical elements were marked for review during the skate. So, to be specific, also which jumps were called for review. And NBC people said say saw that no jumps in her LP were marked.
You can, of course, assume the NBC crew is lying I guess, as they didn't send it with a few screenshots.

I think you're misinterpreting their remarks. When they said that no jumps were marked, that obviously meant that they were indicating that no jumps in Satoko's LP were marked with a UR call on the TP/judges' scoresheet -- in comparison to the commentators' own personal notes, where they had thought she URed. That isn't the same as a commentator actually stating that none of the jumps in Satoko's LP had even been reviewed by the TP (which some people seem to believe is the case).

I highly doubt that the commentators are watching the tech panel every second from when the skater finishes their program to when the skater receive their marks, and noting every element they are reviewing. And, like fans (save for the ones in the audience sitting right next to the TP), I don't think they are able to see to what specific elements have or haven't been reviewed by the technical panel. Feel free to prove otherwise.

Tara's statement "The technical panel isn't even looking!" probably meant "Usually she gets UR calls, but according to the scoresheets, they aren't looking properly at these landings."; I highly doubt she would have been so stupid and brash to essentially say "The tech panel isn't even doing their job!" Not to mention, there was well over a minute from Tara's quoteto when Miyahara received her marks, and in that time the TP could have reviewed jumping passes.

If I remember correctly Johnny Weir also said that Bradie Tennell did not have any UR or edge reviews. Or maybe he just said something like, all her jumps were fully rotated, no question.

In any case, reviewed or not, none of the top 5 received any carrots. In the whole LP only Karen Chen got hit, together with one carrot for Xiangling Li. All in all, a very well skated event.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think you're misinterpreting their remarks. When they said that no jumps were marked, that obviously meant that they were indicating that no jumps in Satoko's LP were marked with a UR call on the TP/judges' scoresheet -- in comparison to the commentators' own personal notes, where they had thought she URed. That isn't the same as a commentator actually stating that none of the jumps in Satoko's LP had even been reviewed by the TP (which some people seem to believe is the case).

I highly doubt that the commentators are watching the tech panel from when the skater finishes their program to when the skater receive their marks, and noting every element they are reviewing. And, like fans (save for the ones in the audience sitting right next to the TP), I don't think they are able to see to what specific elements have or haven't been reviewed by the technical panel. Feel free to prove otherwise.

No, Johnny Weir said in the broadcast that the technical panel did not mark any jumps for review, I remember being surprised by that.

The NBC commentators have access to the real-time reviewing/judging and actually USFS makes it available to the public too through Skate Radio. I've heard commentators say this jump or that jump is being reviewed, so they have access to something....

Edited: https://youtu.be/7QvL7Fu9DVU
6:03 mark. It's Tara saying it. "She usually gets a lot of underrotationd but the judges aren't even looking."

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
No, Johnny Weir said in the broadcast that the technical panel did not mark any jumps for review, I remember being surprised by that.

The NBC commentators have access to the real-time reviewing/judging and actually USFS makes it available to the public too through Skate Radio.

Is there a link to them actually saying this? Or an example of Skate Radio that talks about what the tech panel is specifically looking at? This is the only video I have access to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QvL7Fu9DVU#t=6m

Because you would think that if the networks have access to what jumps are being reviewed this information would be made readily available afterwards to the public, so we know what the tech panel is looking at. And if networks are allowed to relay what the TP is looking at, then why not have this footage available?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I just added to my previous post;

https://youtu.be/7QvL7Fu9DVU 6:03 Tara: "She usually gets underrotations but the judges aren't even looking."

The Skate Radio site is basically a big web page that shows a version of the judging screen. When a jump is reviewed, you'll see an "R" marked in the screen. When it's reviewed the R is removed.

Unfortunately I wasn't looking at Skate Radio when I watched the program in real time.

Last edited:
On another topic, I wish Gabrielle Daleman could do two "first-halves" instead of a first half and a second half. She comes out with a bang but tapers off at the end.

Does anyone else think that Karen Chen's problem is that she rushes into her jumps and then finds herself leaning in the direction of the jump because of the forward momentum?

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I just added to my previous post;

https://youtu.be/7QvL7Fu9DVU 6:03 Tara: "She usually gets underrotations but the judges aren't even looking."

Miyahara also received her marks at 7:18, so there was still time for the Technical Panel to have reviewed jumps. Perhaps they were reviewing non-jump elements when Tara made that statement? Like I said, I don't think Tara would be so brash to essentially say, "The technical panel isn't even doing their job."

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Miyahara also received her marks at 7:18, so there was still time for the Technical Panel to have reviewed jumps. Perhaps they were reviewing non-jump elements when Tara made that statement? Like I said, I don't think Tara would be so brash to essentially say, "The technical panel isn't even doing their job."

No, I think she meant exactly what she said. Johnny makes a point of saying how leaniet the panel was.

They made the same reference to whether jumps were being review for pretty much every skater.

I personally loved Satoko's FS, performance wise, so I'm not trying to grind an axe here. But my concern is she will get hit with a tougher technical caller later in the season when it comes to prime time, i.e. The Olympics.

Last edited: