Up Up Up and Away! | Golden Skate

Up Up Up and Away!

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Just for discussion.
Since about 2015, we’ve seen a major increase in PCS across the board. I wonder, were the judges just more strict in their scoring in the 2013 or 2014 season? Were they more stern about who they would give the 8s and 9s to?
Examples:

LOL, remember when Gracie had that glorious 3lutz-3toe and all level 4 spins in her Olympic sp program but everyone was satisfied with her 69+ at Skate Canada?

Remember when Yulia was receiving sp scores of 70 or 71+ with her 3lutz-3toe AND flip AND level 4 spins that wowed the crowd?

Or remember when the men’s quad fest began and even when u could land those big jumps it was a major deal to break 100 in the sp?

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Judges were instructued to start using full scale of PCS - give higher numbers more easily when BaseValues and generally TES of skaters started to rise that much. Desicion behind that is idea to keep PCS still has equal weight (50%) in the final scores. Even with that, its not possible to achieve initial idea today when Men TES is going 100+(50+) and Ladies 80+(40+), so they are considering now to correct BV scale a little bit and change GOE range from -5 to +5.

It seems to me that every four years they drop everyone down a little and then gradually raise the scores until th next Olympics. I remember the first year of the IJS (2002-2003) the judges had no notion of how they were expected to be judging the Program Components. They gave Sasha Cohen sky-high scores across the board just for skating so pretty. The next year they firmed things up, with the result that Sasha's scores remained the world's record for 2 or 3 years before natural score inflation overtook them.

I look for changes to be made next year.

Alex D

Record Breaker
An official explained me this a year ago at some event.

He noted how the ISU did ask the judges to push scores, as world records might bring back media attention. The records have come, but I still see very low media coverage. I think without GS and our German magazine, I would be completely left in the dark.